Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Three kicks from Short stood out in a bad way. Two "get it away from me!" rushed up-and-unders - the one on his left in the first quarter that forced Marlion to give away a free to Robinson and led to Brisbane's first goal, and the one in the third when Nank picked up the loose on the point of the square at left half-forward and fed it back to Rioli, who did likewise to Short. Rushed, sky-ball, lands on a Brisbane chest at the top of the 50. He's got to be better than that. Both times he received the ball with not a hand on him, but the threat of it, and he didn't either make space for himself or use his skills. If you're comparing him to the likes of Rich, the second one should deliver a Richmond shot at goal nine times out of 10.

The third one was also the third quarter when he did well to read it and charge through the centre, only to do that stupid two bounces in seven strides *smile*, fumble the second, rush his resultant kick, straight to two Brisbane defenders without a Richmond forward in the postcode.

Stack and Rioli are breaking lines and hitting targets. Mansell is blanketing his man.

Just sayin'.

Reactions: 4 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Three kicks from Short stood out in a bad way. Two "get it away from me!" rushed up-and-unders - the one on his left in the first quarter that forced Marlion to give away a free to Robinson and led to Brisbane's first goal, and the one in the third when Nank picked up the loose on the point of the square at left half-forward and fed it back to Rioli, who did likewise to Short. Rushed, sky-ball, lands on a Brisbane chest at the top of the 50. He's got to be better than that. Both times he received the ball with not a hand on him, but the threat of it, and he didn't either make space for himself or use his skills. If you're comparing him to the likes of Rich, the second one should deliver a Richmond shot at goal nine times out of 10.

The third one was also the third quarter when he did well to read it and charge through the centre, only to do that stupid two bounces in seven strides *smile*, fumble the second, rush his resultant kick, straight to two Brisbane defenders without a Richmond forward in the postcode.

Stack and Rioli are breaking lines and hitting targets. Mansell is blanketing his man.

Just sayin'.
He does annoy but he at least never stops running and presenting.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
He does annoy but he at least never stops running and presenting.
I think his kicking has got worse, however his defensive game has got better , imho his nowhere near the half back “ weapon” he was , bottom 6 for me atm

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
My 2c on his current sheepdog tactic... it’s not a bad thing, but he is cutting in too close for the receive which puts himself under immediate pressure from the defender who was already covering the “giver”... he needs to change his angles or arc and get the ball on the move in space... not get it, then start drifting to avoid the waiting defender.. this forces the loopy or mis directed kick

Reactions: 1 user

smokin joe

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 11, 2004
If he demands the ball on his wrong side and turns it over on his left I’ll spew up
Still luv you shorty

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Another Jayden Short game. lots of the ball, not much impact.

I thought the kick Short had from about 60 out summed him up. He is supposed to be a good kick, there are some players in the league you know will hit a target. Short bombed it about 55 to Tom Stewart who took an uncontested mark in our goal square.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Another Jayden Short game. lots of the ball, not much impact.

I thought the kick Short had from about 60 out summed him up. He is supposed to be a good kick, there are some players in the league you know will hit a target. Short bombed it about 55 to Tom Stewart who took an uncontested mark in our goal square.
For a player that can kick the ball, his decision making has been poor this year. Our kick-in strategy (which is badly lacking imo) isn't helping. He should be running out of the square for 15 metres and then kicking in offensive way to advantage. He'll look better and so will we. Every other team seems to score transition goals, except us - why?

Reactions: 3 users

bringbakflemmo

Tiger Superstar
Apr 15, 2009
Shorty's lack of direction has been a concern all year.
The amount of goals he has cost us this year when kicking to an opposition player after a point is in double figures.
He gets credit for metres gained but that's not much use when at the end of some of those metres the opposition has the ball.
He is at least creating run out of the backline and getting his hands on the pill.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
we've been shuffling our players around a bit - baker to mid and fwd line, rioli to back line, graham to fwd line, ross to wing, etc.

when vlastuin returns we should try short in the fwd line at the expense of george or aarts and keep mansell rioli and stack as the back smalls. short played fwd pocket in juniors. let's see how many cheap kicks he can get there.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
we've been shuffling our players around a bit - baker to mid and fwd line, rioli to back line, graham to fwd line, ross to wing, etc.

when vlastuin returns we should try short in the fwd line at the expense of george or aarts and keep mansell rioli and stack as the back smalls. short played fwd pocket in juniors. let's see how many cheap kicks he can get there.
I’ve thought this is worth looking at for a while, hard to move a bloke who won a B & F in a premiership year though, I definitely think his worth having a look at him on a wing or across half forward . The new 3 amigos down back are improving each week , and our forward half smalls continue to struggle to hit the scoreboard

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I’ve been somewhat disappointed in my boy Get Shorty this year.
Especially at times when he gets the ball forward off a teammate and in previous years ( put down your glasses ) , this year behinds.
Also his preference instead of spitting up a teammate inboard or in a better position, puts himself under so much pressure he turns to his left and most times makes a meal of the kick.