Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Shorty's lack of direction has been a concern all year.
The amount of goals he has cost us this year when kicking to an opposition player after a point is in double figures.
He gets credit for metres gained but that's not much use when at the end of some of those metres the opposition has the ball.
He is at least creating run out of the backline and getting his hands on the pill.
Bit too happy with imself after his JDM win.

Has been poor all year.

Dream Team Points dont count when you rack up a free 3 ponints with every kick in.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
In all seriousness I cant remember too many times he has hit a target inside 50 or kicked a goal on the run from outside 50 , the new rule should have suited Shortyto have more time to balance up and hit a target , though seems to so often be just bombing under pressure. Don’t think hes our worst , however I find it interesting that opposition teams allow him the easy ball so often

Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Metres gained is probably the most useless stat in football. He is always high in this stat but for his position much lower in things like score involvements and score launches. He basically kicks long to disadvantage too often. And demands the ball when not in a better position than the guy with it. He’s had a poor year but is not alone. He should be one we look to trade whilst he has value.

Reactions: 7 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
let's make him earn some of his kicks and move him upfield. his disposals are having little effect. I'd stick to rioli, mansell and stack as our running backs. at least they are solid defensively.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
If we have Rioli, Mansell and Stack as defenders, where would we fit Short? We need at least 2, if not maybe 3, talls back. Once you add Vlastuin to the back line with Grimes and Balta, where does Short go?

He needs to lift or find a different role.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
If we have Rioli, Mansell and Stack as defenders, where would we fit Short? We need at least 2, if not maybe 3, talls back. Once you add Vlastuin to the back line with Grimes and Balta, where does Short go?

He needs to lift or find a different role.

DS
Don’t forget Broad has to fit in too

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
keep him in at hbf. Keep his stats and trade currency high.
As much as I hate to say it, lets do a deal
Carlton have paid a high price twice for running flakes.
Who else could be interested - Gold Coast, Freo, Hawks, Essendon? A low 2nd rounder would be a dream.
And also we stop seeing long bombs to the well-defended goal square

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Some players carry the weight of expectation better than others. He surprised himself and many others with his excellent season last year so he knew he was expected to maintain that high standard. Then we lost experienced players from our backline which put more pressure on him to perform so he starts trying to do too much and stuffs it up. Balta, Flossy and Houli were playing well which allowed him to play a helping role last year but now he's expected to be a leader for Mansell and Stack etc. and perhaps he does not have the confidence to do that? He needs a chat with Emma and the backline need to sort out their roles as a group. What we don't know is whether any personal issues are contributing to his poor form (and for other players).

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
As i wrote in another thread:

we like wingers who run hard defensively and can compete in the air. that is not Short.
we also need people who can deliver the ball incisively into the F50, not bomb it blindly. again that is not Short.

while i doubt they will drop him this year, I cannot see Short moving anywhere else on the field.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Used to be a reliable kick but now they don’t even drop straight on his boot and then it’s a lottery

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
He didnt even go for the marking contest and let his opponent mark the ball. Who then sealed the game with a goal.

hes very rarely defensively adequate,

but his kicking has always compensated.

Now for whatever reason, his kicking is so unreliable,

everyone is trying to get it in Ryan Garthwaite's hands.

I think we could spend 5 or 6 seasons hoping Shorty recaptured his 2020,

but im pretty sure he wont.

Reactions: 2 users