Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
If you look at Shorty's raw stats from last year he easily had a career best season.
However I felt last season despite the big numbers he wasn't as damaging as the year previous & dropped off a bit. Maybe because of the unsettled defence to be fair.
Perhaps expectations were also raised after the JDM win in 2020 but I thought he was a bit underwhelming. Again to be fair like many others.
However again on the weekend I felt the same. His kicking in particular which has been a great strength seems to have dropped away a little.
Be very interesting to see what sort of season he has in 2022. Whilst still an established player, others are pressing for his position.

Reactions: 5 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Bumped him.

WTF is there so much negativity around this bloke on PRE?

Gun. There’s the high velocity delivery that bleeds through defensive lines.

There’s the run and carry, too. Which includes a *really* nice sidestep and all round awareness in heavy traffic.

Premiership hero, JDM winner, worthy partner in crime of one B. Houli.

Has launched countless attack chains in a team that concedes around stoppage.

Hasn’t shown any obvious signs of slowing down.

I love the bloke, love how he plays. Scratching my head as to why he attracts so much negativity?

Reactions: 4 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Bumped him.

There’s the run and carry, too. Which includes a *really* nice sidestep and all round awareness in heavy traffic.

I love the bloke, love how he plays. Scratching my head as to why he attracts so much negativity?
The negativity is generated on how effective he is by foot. Yes he gets a heap of the ball and gets it moving forward but how many of his kicks are actually effective? The quarter back role he plays needs precision. Not helicopter kicks to no one.

Reactions: 6 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Bumped him.

I think he’s a lot better than his detractors think, but probably not as good as his fanboys believe.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The negativity is generated on how effective he is by foot. Yes he gets a heap of the ball and gets it moving forward but how many of his kicks are actually effective? The quarter back role he plays needs precision. Not helicopter kicks to no one.

Yeh, he's kicking is terribly overrated. I've posted stats before about how relatively ineffective he is in comparison to others in the position. Ultimately he isn't a defensive player, his role is mainly about setting up scoring chains and maintaining possession/release pressure.

People arguing he is the best in the AFL at his role ignore almost every bit of statistical evidence that point to him being average.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Here are some stats re Jaydyn Short for last year -

Shorts AFL rankings in 2021 for all defenders

He was 5th in ave kicks
4th in Rebound 50's
7th in Effective kicks
9th in ave Disposals
44th on Average Score involvements (eq 3rd of tiger defenders)
95th on Ave Score Launches (5th of tigers defenders)

Part of it also comes down to what is happening up the ground but opposition coaches would not be too worried with him getting the ball. His kicking is not dangerous and doesn't result in scoring. Which is unusual given we have been a low possession offensive team.

The stats suggest he is effective when kicking short but doesn't hurt you when kicking offensively ie longer and more direct. Which has been an argument of many for a long time, his long kicking isn't often to advantage.

There are at least half a dozen players that play Short's role in the AFL I would prefer in front of him.

Hurn/Dawson - gun would love at tigers/Lukosius/Rich/Dale/Salem

You could add Hind/Daniel/Houston. Saad perhaps.

Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Short's long kicking is usually more defensive than offensive. "Get it outta here" stuff.

Reactions: 5 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Bumped him.

Launched countless scoring chains? Can u back that up as the stats say he is below average. He gets it a lot but it doesn’t result in scoring as much as you say.

Velocity delivery that bleeds through defensive lines?

Nice phrase but not supported by the data.

He is definitely a premiership hero and JDM winner though.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Terrific player is Shorty.

My only criticism is that he seems to have taken the metres gained to heart a bit too much. Kicks long to a contest too much when he is more than capable of hitting up a teammate with a shorter kick.

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Provides an outlet as the third man to the contest but more often than not takes delivery under pressure and just hacks it forward.
He'd be better providing a block for the original possession getter to clear a path and allow for a precise disposal.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Terrific player is Shorty.

My only criticism is that he seems to have taken the metres gained to heart a bit too much. Kicks long to a contest too much when he is more than capable of hitting up a teammate with a shorter kick.
at times we are fortunate if he actually kicks to a contest.

Reactions: 1 user

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011

Just on this, it has to be an instruction from the coaching staff. If it wasn't then you would think that the coaches will have put a stop to it by now.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Other than 20 seconds of panic at the end of the second, Shorty's ball use and DIMBY looks to have levelled up. Kicking with penetration and discretion rather than up and unders. Physicality at the required.

1649541806442.png

Reactions: 1 user