Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I am far from Shorts biggest fan, but when he first moved to the midfield he played well, off limited prep. I look forward to seeing what he can do with a preseason with the midfielders, and perhaps more time for the coaches to find the right role for him.

Reactions: 1 user

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I still maintain he is tradeable with Graham. Short won't get midfield time with new boys coming in and his position is covered in the backline.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I still maintain he is tradeable with Graham. Short won't get midfield time with new boys coming in and his position is covered in the backline.
You raise an interesting point.
Where to play Short?
He should be more worried than Graham position wise. Just can’t see him playing midfield if we land both Taranto and Hopper.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Signing 5-year extension wasn't the best imo.

3 max, if the RFC want to move him on in the future it will be a little more difficult unless the TPP and salary cap increase.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
The 5 year extension was poor imo.

3 max, if the RFC want to move him on in the future it will be difficult.
Correct. In the words of famous Chinese detective Harry Hoo.
5yr deal like television on honeymoon.
Unnecessary

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Signing 5-year extension wasn't the best imo.

3 max, if the RFC want to move him on in the future it will be a little more difficult unless the TPP and salary cap increase.
Yep. We losing it with these yrs attached to deals. No way Short for 5 unless it's at 450-500k per season

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I was puzzled when they announced a 5 year deal , he would be on the trade table in my book.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Disagree on taking Short out of the midfield. He will provide a point of difference with his run and carry which will compliment the likes of Taranto, Hopper and Cotchin who are all a bit one paced.

The last thing we want to do is field a one dimensional midfield.

Reactions: 5 users

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
Disagree on taking Short out of the midfield. He will provide a point of difference with his run and carry which will compliment the likes of Taranto, Hopper and Cotchin who are all a bit one paced.

The last thing we want to do is field a one dimensional midfield.
I tend to agree. With a few new extractors in there he can play a more outside role and deliver the ball long into the forwards.
Because of our lack of inside mids Short was asked to play a role he wasn’t equipped to play.

Reactions: 4 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
I do not get this desire to trade Short. He had 444 kicks this year,the most of any AFL player. Had 425 last year.His Stats are impressive and have been increasing.Even kicked 6 goals this year compared to one last year.Some argue his decision making is questionable at times,but really errors are more likely given the amount of disposals he accumulates.Had a few Tiges this year that compiled a ton more errors from mediocre stats.

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
More then happy for Short to stay, however he probably is the highest trade value expendable player and if he been traded gets us Hop and TT instead of getting up one of our top picks we’d definitely have to give it some thought.

I see Shorts role as a utility going forward he’s played back, forward and in the middle with success , so I think he’ll probably cover injuries and pinch hit going forward

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
If Short stays in the midfield I think he'll probably be fighting Graham for the spot. Youngsters will get a go in the midfield (i hope) so simply can't fit them all in.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
trading Shorty would be crazy.

gun player, will again be critical in 2023.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
TJ and Daniel came off pretty ordinary year’s to finish 1-2 in the B&F this year. Can’t see why Shorty can’t do something similar.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Shorty should be working on his goal-kicking in the off-season. 20 goals should be the target.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
We're not trading Short.
Tend to agree... without trying to romanticise things... some blokes are essential to the fabric of footy clubs and from the outside looking in Short appears to be one of those.
Let's not forget the bloke won a JDM in probably the toughest football year of all time and on a personal level it was even harder for him. A premiership year to boot!
So he's not recaptured that form... he ain't the lone ranger.
Hopefully his great mate Lambo can put his arms around him in the off season to help him (&others) get back to his (&their) best.