Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I don't see no end product from Short people rave about his kicking I see alot of turnovers and mistakes his replaceable with Banks and Brown in the vfl . I see no role for him with Sonsie , Taranto and Hopper coming in and a fit Dusty. With him on the table we can keep a few picks.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I don't see no end product from Short people rave about his kicking I see alot of turnovers and mistakes his replaceable with Banks and Brown in the vfl . I see no role for him with Sonsie , Taranto and Hopper coming in and a fit Dusty. With him on the table we can keep a few picks.
No way Banks and Brown are ready for 20+ senior games next year.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Short to play the outside mid role will be an an attacking option for us.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Short to play the outside mid role will be an an attacking option for us.
Yep. With Tarantino n Grasshopper to come into the side, Shorty should easily slot into the Lamblett role. Same height n weight, same sort of running capacity, got a decent hoof on him so playing outside mid / half forward would be ideal for him. From memory played his first few games forward before getting sent to defence so would simply be coming full circle.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Shorty should be working on his goal-kicking in the off-season. 20 goals should be the target.

So this. With Hopper and Tarranto coming in he needs to be getting more ball forward of center. If he can lob 20 goals as an onballer he becomes a weapon.

Reactions: 3 users

Jewell

Tiger Cub
May 4, 2006
People talk about Graham or maybe Clarke filling the Lambert role. But couldn't Short do the same thing. Experienced player, can run. And his kicking for goal from anywhere around the 50 could be a weapon if he gets even a small amount of space (none of this calling for handball rubbish)

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
People talk about Graham or maybe Clarke filling the Lambert role. But couldn't Short do the same thing. Experienced player, can run. And his kicking for goal from anywhere around the 50 could be a weapon if he gets even a small amount of space (none of this calling for handball rubbish)
Lambert had an ability to read the play and get forward of it when necessary, outrunning his opponents.

Short has never shown that ability and tends to thrive in more of a sweeper/behind the ball role.

Reactions: 6 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
So this. With Hopper and Tarranto coming in he needs to be getting more ball forward of center. If he can lob 20 goals as an onballer he becomes a weapon.
That my knock on Shorty. For a guy who can kick the ball long, so many times he would be with his range, yet he doesn't have a ping..........back yourself young man, you may miss a few, but if you have a go, your eye will get better!

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
There are a couple of near certainties in this trade period, Taranto and Hopper are coming and Short isn’t being traded. The sooner people accept that the better as everything else is just fluff at this stage.

Reactions: 5 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
I think both will do the roles (lambert & Dusty)

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Lambert had an ability to read the play and get forward of it when necessary, outrunning his opponents.

Short has never shown that ability and tends to thrive in more of a sweeper/behind the ball role.
Great call. Lambert was an absolute gun. Even though lots of names keep getting mentioned as possible replacements fo him, I don't think we will find some one as good as Lambo for a while.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Been a good player for a number of years now but what role will Shorty have this season?
Will he play back, midfield, forward or as required?
Or will he be one who comes under pressure from youngsters coming through?
I think he's an interesting case.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Been a good player for a number of years now but what role will Shorty have this season?
Reckon that with the inclusion of Taranto/Hopper Shorty will have a very good season .

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I reckon he will play mid/high half forward. He will probably be one posters (like me) keep putting on the fringes of the team, but keep getting picked every week.

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I reckon he will play mid/high half forward. He will probably be one posters (like me) keep putting on the fringes of the team, but keep getting picked every week.
See him starting on the bench and filling gaps as required at HF or HB.
Can’t see him getting midfield minutes in front of Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, Bolton, Cotchin and Martin

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Bit of disrespect shown to our dual premiership hero and B&F winner in this thread.

Short’s move to the midfield last year was the catalyst that kick-started our season. The additions of Taranto and Hopper just means Short can focus even more on provide outside run and carry in the midfield and less of what he’s not so good at (contested ball).

Great midfields are multidimensional and deep. We now have a good mixture of inside midfielders (Hopper, Cotchin, Nankervis), outside midfielders (Short, Bolton, Sonsie) and those that do both (Taranto, Martin, Graham). With that combination of players we should be able to keep the heat on the opposition all game and Short is a key part of that.

Reactions: 10 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
See him starting on the bench and filling gaps as required at HF or HB.
Can’t see him getting midfield minutes in front of Taranto, Hopper, Prestia, Bolton, Cotchin and Martin
I wouldn't expect him to attend many centre bounces, but I reckon he will be be swapping with Dusty/Bolton after they attend the bounce.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Shorty should be coming into his best footy. He did have some great games last season & has been one of the first picked most weeks over the past few seasons. Very durable too.
His flexibility to play a number of roles as required is a strength that Dimma will love not to mention his popularity & leadership traits.
Think he'll be there again.