Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I think that he may find himself out of the side once Cotchin/Martin come back in. Shedda/Stack to shift back.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Surely his spot in the team must be on shaky ground. Just panics when in a one on one situation. Any good coach in the finals will expose this.

he is our Achilles Heel.

hes a pretty handy Achilles Heel.

But we needn't have one at all.

I really hope the MC see it.

Its quite simple.

The likelihood of him costing momentum in a big moment is far greater than the likelihood he swings momentum to us,

compared to say Sydney Stack, or dare I say, Marlion on his HBF?

Im not really buying the metres gained *smile*.

Reactions: 1 users

bowden4president

Stackman
Feb 19, 2005
Punt Rd
The worry with short is he is defensively poor and loses most Ono on one contests and offensively he often chooses poor options or even worse just hack kicks back to the opposition. I hope we have a better option come finals time.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
You dont have to go to any Harvard short courses to see he is existing in an organisational blind spot.

TGM

Tiger Rookie
Apr 6, 2009
Is this a trick? Have they renamed the VFL, The Modern Game?

If not, I think you should recant TGM.

maybe pair it back to 22 and salvage something?

Just go to a game and watch how the back men (especially at other clubs) chip it around and go nowhere, after 10 possessions they turn it over and get a goal scored against them.
Short never takes the easy option and always tries to go forward quickly (I think that might be how dimma wants us to play) to get it to our power forwards one out.
Compare this with Astbury Broad etc that almost always wait for the easy option and quite often the opportunity to move the ball quickly is lost.
Short may not be the best defender but Laird, Simpson, Lewis Jetta aren't either. You need a mix of defence with run and gun or you won't win.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The old dimma would have dropped him ages ago. The dimma that was big on contested possession and head over the ball stuff. The new dimma now embraces what you can do instead of focussing on what you can't.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The old dimma would have dropped him ages ago. The dimma that was big on contested possession and head over the ball stuff. The new dimma now embraces what you can do instead of focussing on what you can't.

Hope Short starts doing what he can do soon, because I'm starting to get impatient

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
I find it very comforting when our half-back flankers are Short and Broad- just like my Silician Grandfather.

Reactions: 3 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
We do need his kicking length. There was one over the back to Lynch.

Lovely goal wasn't it and it encapsulated the Richmond style. It started with a knock on by Ross on the outer wing, then switch back and then through the middle and ended with that beautiful Short kick at half forward that Lynchy doesn't have to break stride to goal.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I still have concerns about Shorty in the heat of a final. Not much on the weekend arrested that suspicion.
At 1/4 time those concerns were huge. He was the weakest (defensive) link in a backline that had just allowed 7goals in the quarter.
I reckon that by the end of the game the MC were probably pretty confident that our current back 7 can shut down any forward line.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
There was an article with Vlaustin (from memory) over the weekend talking about the back 6 and Grimes' role in the 6 and how he has now replaced Rancey. As part of the conversation, he said Bachar and Shorty are capable of playing close, but are given an attacking role first.

The whole conversation was about how the back 6 have evolved into complimentary roles and how they try look after each other with their various weaknesses and strengths. It read to me that Shorty was given licence to be loose, as the others would cover for him. This enables them to focus on "negating" rather than them needing to be creative and attacking when they have the ball. Seems perfectly reasonable to me and I take it that whomever plays the "Short" role, will produce the same outcomes as Jayden, maybe with less output.

Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I still have concerns about Shorty in the heat of a final. Not much on the weekend arrested that suspicion.

I do too, but I thought he was OK in the pressure cooker of the last Q. Put his body on the line and got a fist in to win a one-on-one and get it forward. Looked gone in the contest but won it. Wasn't panicky, which he had been a bit to then, and did a couple of very Richmondy things. I felt a bit better that hes improved in pressure situations, coming off a low base of course.

Reactions: 1 user