Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Ok, once. Now be balanced and dig up all my complimentary posts about him this year, they're easier to find.

Orhwrwise you're just being petty and personal, which I don't appreciate.

Fine I'll give it in.

To your credit, you did comment on his improvement in almost every post this year. Just took a while for it to come without an accompanying insult.

And to be fair to you, you weren't alone in being critical. Most here agreed with you. You just happened to be the most vocal. Which is why it comes back to you I guess.

If Castagna ever wins a b&f (hahaha) in a premiership year, I'll have to cop my whack too.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Fine I'll give it in.

To your credit, you did comment on his improvement in almost every post this year. Just took a while for it to come without an accompanying insult.

And to be fair to you, you weren't alone in being critical. Most here agreed with you. You just happened to be the most vocal. Which is why it comes back to you I guess.

If Castagna ever wins a b&f (hahaha) in a premiership year, I'll have to cop my whack too.
There were a lot of backhanded compliments from posters throughout this season for Shorty. People obviously form an opinion on players and then find it hard to see them otherwise. Kmac is in the same boat.

The comments about Short on here remind me of people's opinions on Houli and Grigg that eventually changed. At 24yo with a B&F under his belt, hopefully the opinion of Short now changes for the better here on in for some people.

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
What an amazing accomplishment.
I remember watching him live in a particular game sometime over the past 2 years and fell in love with his kicking. It looked more skilful and impactful at the ground than it did on TV. I came on here after the game and saw agreement about his poor kicking that day. I still don’t know what it is, but once you see it you can’t un-see it. Gun.

Btw Houli and Short are both prime examples of young outside runners who became more well-rounded over the years. Both ended up being dominant in Grand Finals. Did they always have a certain something? Was it the way they were coached?

What separates Houli/Short from all the other outside kickers with similar builds who never really develop like they did?

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I remember watching him live in a particular game sometime over the past 2 years and fell in love with his kicking. It looked more skilful and impactful at the ground than it did on TV. I came on here after the game and saw agreement about his poor kicking that day. I still don’t know what it is, but once you see it you can’t un-see it. Gun.

Btw Houli and Short are both prime examples of young outside runners who became more well-rounded over the years. Both ended up being dominant in Grand Finals. Did they always have a certain something? Was it the way they were coached?

What separates Houli/Short from all the other outside kickers with similar builds who never really develop like they did?

I think the Richmond development environment helps - credit to coaching staff who saw what Short could become and perservered, even when some aspects of his game were not as good as his other qualities.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Shorty has been a gun from day 1.

Now that's a stretch. Dropped in 2017 before the finals. One top ten finish in the B&F before this year. An average previous finals performance history, including some notably poor efforts in the 2018 prelim. But, he turned it around. He worked hard on his game. Its a great achievement but lets not have a history re-write. Its a super story of improvement and persistence in the face of adversity. To perform like he has after what he has gone through shows great courage.

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I dont read game day threads, i will sometimes try to find posts from the when the game ends.
I would rather be positive when watching a game.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I love the improvement in some of our “lesser lights”
ie Short, Bolton, MacIntosh, Baker, Balta
Plus a few of our established players didn’t have big seasons ie Rioli, Castagna. They’ll need to lift otherwise they’ll find themselves under the gun from our newbies.

Good to see there is competition and pressure for players to improve.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Had a great season and a great grand final ,

With vlastun out and houli wounded , i thought he really stepped up on saturday and seemed to take on more responsibility , our list just gets better and better

Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Now that's a stretch. Dropped in 2017 before the finals. One top ten finish in the B&F before this year. An average previous finals performance history, including some notably poor efforts in the 2018 prelim. But, he turned it around. He worked hard on his game. Its a great achievement but lets not have a history re-write. Its a super story of improvement and persistence in the face of adversity. To perform like he has after what he has gone through shows great courage.

He was a kid in 2017, and we had a premiership team. Hard to get a guernsey, even if you're a gun kid.

He hasn't turned anything around, he's just improved from good to very good as he's matured. Still only 24.

Dusty was a gun from day 1, but still had deficiencies and gaps early which he's steadily improved on.

Just didn't have the same level of hate levelled at him.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I really miss people saying "season over" when we are ten points down in the second quarter of a H&A game in round 4

I'll try and remember that so I can oblige with the pessimistic post before we power away and win the first 4 games of the season.

DS

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine

I remember being on the fence at Port Melbourne in the 2017 VFL prelim and Short hit a 55M missile to a player standing less than 10 meters from me. It was an astonishingly sweet hit and the player, Conca I think, didn't have to move an inch. Very impressive.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
I remember being on the fence at Port Melbourne in the 2017 VFL prelim and Short hit a 55M missile to a player standing less than 10 meters from me. It was an astonishingly sweet hit and the player, Conca I think, didn't have to move an inch. Very impressive.
he has vastly improved each year he has been at the club. Congratulations!

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I really miss people saying "season over" when we are ten points down in the second quarter of a H&A game in round 4
Not the “lost it at the selection table” mob on a Thursday night?

• Wow