Welcome to the Tigers - Connor Menadue | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Connor Menadue

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Other teams knew he was uncontracted. They would have done a deal if they thought he was worth a reasonable draft pick.

Ain't that the truth. Much of the talk on here has been made to look fanciful by his delisting.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Certainly a tad unlucky. Was never a fan but he was the best and most consistent VFL player in the latter half of the season. Better than Naish (ast this stage) and Markov who are similar types.
Yeh but as spook said Markov has a contract. And Naish is younger.

Bottom line is Menadue is utterly replaceable.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Certainly a tad unlucky. Was never a fan but he was the best and most consistent VFL player in the latter half of the season. Better than Naish (ast this stage) and Markov who are similar types.

Interesting view as Naish finished 7th in the Liston trophy and 10th in the Richmond VFL Guinane Best & Fairest, both above Menadue. I'm not sure the club values Menadue as highly as some here on PRE. Markov ain't making it imo but for some reason we gave him a two year contract in September last year. Not sure why.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
“His work ethic on the training track and his professionalism is second to none. We thank Connor for his time at the Club and wish him all the best for his future career.”

I don't like spin, but with words like this it makes you wonder why we let him go.

That's the polite way of saying "he's a great guy who tries hard, but he's no good at AFL level".

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Interesting view as Naish finished 7th in the Liston trophy and 10th in the Richmond VFL Guinane Best & Fairest, both above Menadue. I'm not sure the club values Menadue as highly as some here on PRE. Markov ain't making it imo but for some reason we gave him a two year contract in September last year. Not sure why.

Picture a big white board in the recruitment office (yes I know it would be on Computer these days) with all the players age contract and position number. They would have planned for Townsend etc to go this year and would have Markov listed as going next year.

Obviously the club wants Markov to succeed but if he does he will push someone else to "red zone". All part of list management and working 2 to 4 years into the future.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
I liked him and thought I could see some potential for him as an elite user down the left wing, but he seemed to tread water year-on-year. Had skills but just never seemed able to cope at AFL level. Hate to see a project player go when you thought they'd make it but the club can't afford him to be a project player; not a key position, not a contested ball machine, the sums just don't add up. He's the Crash Davis of the Tigers this time around.

RaoulJuke

Tiger Rookie
Sep 17, 2016
Disappointed to see him go as i thought he really took a leap in the last month of the H&A + finals @ VFL. His ability to hit the goal sheet was impressive and seemed to, finally, be the extra string to his bow he required to not be so passive.

As much as i disagree I cant argue against the club making the call. Over the last 3 years they are yet to barely make a wrong decision - trust the process.

Wonder if Freo have advised they will take him in the ND or PSD & the club just let him go to allow him to go home and chase more opportunity?

Last edited:

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
C Ellis Menadue butler Drummond Mckenzie
All gone.

but the rookie draft soon after was inspired
Castagna Short soldo Lambert

sorry, this has already been pointed out.
nothing to see here.

Funnily enough, if you reversed the order you have (but Soldo came last) and picked Lambert first in the draft to Cellis last in the rookie draft, you would probably get it a hell of a lot closer.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Absolutely the right call. Time to go. Had more than enough chances.

Similar to Conca, this won’t hurt us.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
That's why I hate spin.
So the club should have just come out with ..................................We've been paying this prick good money for five years n got *smile* all back out of him. *smile* off n don't come back ya useless parasite.
That sort of straight down the line truth n honesty would see us folded within five years. There's always a need for a touch of subtlety n compassion in all aspects of life, we're dealing with people not lumps of concrete.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
So the club should have just come out with ..................................We've been paying this prick good money for five years n got **** all back out of him. **** off n don't come back ya useless parasite.
That sort of straight down the line truth n honesty would see us folded within five years. There's always a need for a touch of subtlety n compassion in all aspects of life, we're dealing with people not lumps of concrete.

Exactly TM.

It's not spin, it's showing respect.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
So the club should have just come out with ..................................We've been paying this prick good money for five years n got **** all back out of him. **** off n don't come back ya useless parasite.

Doubt we would've said anything to that extreme. Just saying, maybe add some more realistic words in Menadue not been able to succeed such as: “His work ethic on the training track and his professionalism is second to none, however, there were some areas he need to improve on"

Nothing big, but if I saw/heard that line on my exiting, I'd question it with "what did I do wrong then?"

Then again, we're just reading articles and who knows how many times they're edited.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
RFC showed class yet again in the words they used to thank Connor for his efforts. When he was recruited we knew his strengths and weaknesses and some just don't improve enough after 5 years to stay on the list of the premiership team. Hard decision if he's a good guy but pretty simple really. We must make room for new draftees to get their chance.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Doubt we would've said anything to that extreme. Just saying, maybe add some more realistic words in Menadue not been able to succeed such as: “His work ethic on the training track and his professionalism is second to none, however, there were some areas he need to improve on"

Nothing big, but if I saw/heard that line on my exiting, I'd question it with "what did I do wrong then?"

Then again, we're just reading articles and who knows how many times they're edited.
Your inserted words in blue is not something that RFC would ever use in a press release but it certainly would have been discussed with him many times during his time at Tigerland.