Welcome to the Tigers - Connor Menadue | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Connor Menadue

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Why are some posters looking to get rid of two of the fastest players in the AFL.

Menadue and Markov (M&M)are in the top 10 for speed (in the AFL) both have good kicking skills and very good tanks.

Naish and Turner have been average in the finals neither have the speed of M&M

Posters are demanding Picket be promoted but all he has contributed is one good quarter in each of the finals.

Menadue has been the outstanding player in the finals and we would have struggled if he had not kept us in the game when the heat was on.

It is all very well to pat players on the back for great quarters when we are on fire but it is the players who stand up when we are under the pump and prevent our

opponents from taking the game away from us who are more valuable.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
thanks y, agree its great that Menadue is impacting and bog in the vfl finals.
would be great if he can take that form into our seniors.

why do some posters mark him for trade/delish when he runs so fast?
why do some posters want to keep him when he has played 30+ games and rarely been serviceable?

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Connor is too good for VFL and not quite good enough for AFL,

which is why he will be top 10 b&f in the GC senior side.

I'd be happy to keep him for depth. He will improve and he has the tools to work with.

But you cant keep them all.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
And last year we did exactly the opposite of TMas' suggestion. we moved on our depth and got rid of our plug and play reserves.

We didn't 'get rid' of our depth last year. We traded 2 older guys who couldn't get a game with us, and Conca walked as a FA.
I see a similar story this year. Minimal delistings but a couple of trades.

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
It's all about belief for this guy. Is good enough for AFL, but he doesn't yet believe it himself. Every time he gets an opportunity, he goes into his shell. At the momet, good depth player, and maybe one day, he'll take his chance and keep it.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'd give Menadue another season. he's shown improvement, though small, year on year. He has the traits that would make him a good AFL player and finally we have enough players to trim this year.

We're in a good position where we don't need to keep borderline players in the hope they come good, but because we have the depth top cover them easily if they don't come good.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
The thing with Connor is belief. I was not a fan after his first few seasons because he fumbled and dawdled to pick up ground balls. He has gone past that.

This "he hasn't done anything in 30 games" is a red herring. Judge him on this season and he has been more than serviceable in the ones and consistently good in the twos. I wouldn't bring Connor in to the firsts now unless we had an injury concern but I'd try to give him a chunk of games next year on wing or half back. He has a tank, has speed and has a hurt factor by foot and is 23. Not the sort to give away.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Why are some posters looking to get rid of two of the fastest players in the AFL.

Menadue and Markov (M&M)are in the top 10 for speed (in the AFL) both have good kicking skills and very good tanks.

Naish and Turner have been average in the finals neither have the speed of M&M

Posters are demanding Picket be promoted but all he has contributed is one good quarter in each of the finals.

Menadue has been the outstanding player in the finals and we would have struggled if he had not kept us in the game when the heat was on.

It is all very well to pat players on the back for great quarters when we are on fire but it is the players who stand up when we are under the pump and prevent our

opponents from taking the game away from us who are more valuable.

Doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome isn't for everybody. Thats probably the kindest way one could say Connor just doesn't have what it takes at Senior level.... yet.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
BTW i have been really impressed with Connor's finishing last two weeks. Well balanced evasive and great execution around goal. Kept us in it against Bombers with two snaps in the second. On Saturday virtually (if not all) first quarter goals were either kicked or set up by Menadue.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Credit needs to be given to guys that stand up in VFL finals. The kids are playing against men given we play Port Melbourne and Williamstown. Great signs from Connor and I think it is a signal that he is ready to step up next year.

To delist would be a waste on ~4 years development on a skinny kid that was always flagged as a project player. Other clubs would have noted his VFL form. He is either a keeper or a trade (now worth a second rounder IMO).

Next week could be make or break for his career. No pressure...

happytige

Tiger Superstar
May 1, 2005
I think Connor has matured both mentally and physically this year.
He had a huge impact on Saturday's PF. He showed leadership and his great penetrating kicks into goal were invaluable.
He has come of age and deserves another year.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
The thing with Connor is belief. I was not a fan after his first few seasons because he fumbled and dawdled to pick up ground balls. He has gone past that.

This "he hasn't done anything in 30 games" is a red herring. Judge him on this season and he has been more than serviceable in the ones and consistently good in the twos. I wouldn't bring Connor in to the firsts now unless we had an injury concern but I'd try to give him a chunk of games next year on wing or half back. He has a tank, has speed and has a hurt factor by foot and is 23. Not the sort to give away.

Disagree with his 1s performances. Statistically no better than his 2nd season when he played 14 games. Has been given plenty of chances and just no taken them. Still hasn't been signed up for next year when many others recently have. I don't see a lot of harm in giving him one more season to prove himself but we need to concede that it will be his 6th season and he's yet to cement a place in the top 22. In the majority of cases that's not a good sign. He has been fantastic in the 2s though yet Naish caught the eye of the umpire more.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
A skinny flanker simply doesn't make it at AFL level at his age with the amount of opportunities he has had.
Depth player at best, and I don't believe he would make it close to being a top 10 player at Gold Coast either.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
At the end of 2018 Connor looked on his last chance to me. But he's a different player now. Competitive and glamourous by foot. He's also more decisive. And he can make space in tight these days. As for why he's taken so long to mature I think he's just young for his years.

If he gets a call up I have confidence in him.

Reactions: 1 user

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
A skinny flanker simply doesn't make it at AFL level at his age with the amount of opportunities he has had.
Depth player at best, and I don't believe he would make it close to being a top 10 player at Gold Coast either.
Yet he outperforms all those players who some posters are demanding should get a crack in the ones.

Players who stand up in finals are gold that is why players like Rioli who regularly have substandard performances during the season keep getting games.

Menadue is one of the few players in the twos who have stood up during the finals this year.

Naish Turner Picket and others have gone missing when the heat has come on in our twos during this years finals.

Yes they have come good when we started to dominate but Menadues efforts when we were being belted have kept us in the game.