• If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact admin@puntroadend.com // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check your junk/spam emails.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

amc11

Tiger Cub
Dec 7, 2018
Actually we might be talking about two different times. Checking back he missed a couple of games and then came back and then missed again.
The first knock Rioli received was against GWS in round 3 and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were broken ribs involved then or at least cracked and then there seemed to be a few games after that where everytime he played he took more hard hits which would have exacerbated the damage. Sure to have taken a toll on both his body and confidence levels. Gutsy player young Dan.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Are we all agreed that he will never make a full time midfielder now.

I know the hope when we got him was that he would transition but doesnt seem likely now
Do we actually have any full time mid fielders now? Seems to me there's a squad of about 10 or 12 players all spend some time rotating mid, wing, flank, bench as each game progresses.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Do we actually have any full time mid fielders now? Seems to me there's a squad of about 10 or 12 players all spend some time rotating mid, wing, flank, bench as each game progresses.
yeah most players move around a bit these days - Prestia and Ross are mostly mid and Graham as a defensive mid would be about it from last year.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Daniel is an important player for the team with his pressure acts, tackling, chasing etc but I suggest there is still a big upside to him going forward in his ongoing development as a young player. Personally, I like to see him kick a few more goals. I know the players in the team play their role and are unselfish but I don't think it is unreasonable for Daniel to have personal goals to achieve, such as at least 25 goals for the season (or at least a goal a game) and to have more time as a midfielder. Potentially he can keep improving overall as a player as he gets stronger and fitter with each pre-season he does.

Reactions: 2 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I’m expecting Rioli to have his best ever season next year. His finals was of a very good standard. Needs to be more selfish and go for his goals. Just like he did at the end of the first q in GF. Too many times this year he seemed to stop and prop and do a dinky slow handball or kick. I understand at times he would not have had much in front of him. But I want him to take that space and take the game on rather than do a go slow and allow the opposition to get set up behind the ball.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerPort

Tiger Superstar
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
That dinky little hand ball to dusty in the granny was special.
It was great all round. Rioli waited and waited and when the GWS player moved it was a quick little handball. Martin knew what he was looking to do and he waited and waited then pounced.

Must be a joy to be that connected when playing football.

Tenacious

Tiger Champion
May 19, 2008
Agree with all the positive comment about Rioli and this is a minor quibble.
But I do wish he'd cut his hair in such a way that he didn't have to spend so much time brushing back behind his ears.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Richmond has a better list.
Apr 26, 2004
Agree with all the positive comment about Rioli and this is a minor quibble.
But I do wish he'd cut his hair in such a way that he didn't have to spend so much time brushing back behind his ears.
Agree. Reminds me of Nick Daffy too much.

• Haha

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Agree. Reminds me of Nick Daffy too much.
Daffy Duck, Weiner Campbell n Cho man all had the same **** hair going for a few seasons. All three of them spent as much time tucking the hair as playing the game. Used to **** me no end, at least most players wear pretty little Alice bands these days to keep the hair nice n neat.

• Haha

willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Broken Hill
I think DR is playing a role. Those that say he won't make it as a midfielder could be right that he won't as a full time mid. But he often provides the 2 way runner role, getting back in defense to provide another outlet and/or runner in support? If wingers are part of a midfield group, Rioli's deep running is if he's playing a quasi midfield/wing role anyway.
ATM there's a good mix of midfield rotations. Maybe the MC are happy with his mix of pressure forward and deep running outlet player.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Blasphemy! It actually was a very soft handball. Just dribbled it out of his hand. It happened right in front of me. T was beeauutiffuul!
Yep. Maggots didn't call it a throw, so it musta been a hand ball. Was nearly, almost as good as the one Dusty gave Jaaack.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Don't think either Dusty or Jack could believe they got away with that :p

DS
The Dusty n Jaaack show, every Tiger fan just pissin themselves laughin. Bit like the old slap stick of Laurel n Hardy or Abbott n Costello. Numpties in green had no idea wtf was going on.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Daniel has had an average year for mine. Flashes of brilliance but overall average. If push came to shove and it was a choice between Dan and George for the lat small forward spot, I'd be leaning towards George at the moment.