Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
But will probably help young Daniel get his head back in the game.
Lets hope so, I'm sure that Daniel is going to be much better off in the long term .....and the near term ..............and the now.

Reactions: 1 user

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I thought he was very good ball in and hand non-existent without it, which is a total 180. Like 99% of small forwards, it is often feast or famine.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Hasn't recaptured the 2017 form. That broken foot has hobbled him.

Really want to see him come good though. The thought of Rioli and Rioli crating havoc in our forward line is delicious.

Reactions: 1 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Really want to see him come good though. The thought of Rioli and Rioli crating havoc in our forward line is delicious.

It does really all come back to that Grand Final injury. He seems to have a lost a bit of explosiveness.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk

If they ever play in the same team, I wonder if that wouldn't create some sort of first?
Correct me if I am wrong, but it's my understanding that despite being younger, Maurice Jr is one generation ahead of Daniel. Maurice Jr is Maurice Sr's son, and Daniel is the grandson of one of Maurice Sr's older brothers. That would make them "first cousins once-removed".
Have blood-related players at different generations ever played together at VFL/AFL level?

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
If he hadn't kicked straight I'm not sure he's in the team next week.
Well, kicked 2 good set-shots from about 40-45 out. Great; they were vitally needed but should have been slotted by any decent, experienced forward. Really don't think that is enough to keep his place in the side.

Rest of his game was quite disappointing. I think SFs are going to have to do a lot more work to curb the aggressive, attacking, hard-running and long-kicking HBF (like Saad for them; Short for us) than 10 x Ds. Aarts no better with 12 x Ds and 2Gs also.

E.G - This match: Short 23 x Ds at 78.3% DE with 716 m/g. Saad 25 x Ds at 80% DE and 352 m/g.

Surely these sort of players can really impact the result rebounding the pill so well back i50 with this fast, open style of game under the new rules? Especially a team with 2 of these types.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Well, kicked 2 good set-shots from about 40-45 out. Great; they were vitally needed but should have been slotted by any decent, experienced forward. Really don't think that is enough to keep his place in the side.

Rest of his game was quite disappointing. I think SFs are going to have to do a lot more work to curb the aggressive, attacking, hard-running and long-kicking HBF (like Saad for them; Short for us) than 10 x Ds. Aarts no better with 12 x Ds and 2Gs also.

E.G - This match: Short 23 x Ds at 78.3% DE with 716 m/g. Saad 25 x Ds at 80% DE and 352 m/g.

Surely these sort of players can really impact the result rebounding the pill so well back i50 with this fast, open style of game under the new rules? Especially a team with 2 of these types.
Didnt see Rioli playing on Saad much at all, from the TV.
It seemed to be mostly Aarts lining up Saad and for one beautiful marking contest it was Dusty v Sad.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The one downer was his performance. At least his set shot kicking is still good

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
If they ever play in the same team, I wonder if that wouldn't create some sort of first?
Correct me if I am wrong, but it's my understanding that despite being younger, Maurice Jr is one generation ahead of Daniel. Maurice Jr is Maurice Sr's son, and Daniel is the grandson of one of Maurice Sr's older brothers. That would make them "first cousins once-removed".
Have blood-related players at different generations ever played together at VFL/AFL level?
Would throw to McAveney for that but somehow don't think Darce or BT will provide the answer.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
We can improve in three ways. One is players, all or many, who improve individually. Two is players stay same but teamwork improves. Three is that someone better comes into the team.

Whilst everyone is working hard on Methods 1 and 2, option 3 is the law of the jungle and footy.

For us to improve at least in part from player upgrade I find it very hard to believe that Dan Rioli is not the player most upgradable.

Other than injury, maybe in just 4 years the tactics that allowed him to be so influential in 2017 have left him stranded in footy limbo. I doubt, no, I know Aarts is not an inherently better player than Dan but he just offers more.

Threads are full of "play him" "this kid is ready" "get games into him" ..... a space needs to be made and other than temporary injury cover that can only be achieved in season by dropping the weakest links.

I feel like a hangman now but the writing has been on the wall to me since 2018.