Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
I thought moving him to half back was a desperate move; as others have said is re-energised.

Running around looking for tackles ultimately blunted him.

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Can't remember the last time Daniel was ever our best on field. What a reinvention!
Our backline is receiving somewhat of an overhaul in regard to the smalls, by force but it looks worthy of being persisted with especially for the rest of this season.

Houli and Baker out

Stack Mansell and Rioli in.

This already looks to be happening and could become our re calibrated line of attack next year.

It says a lot for the so called AFL media pundits who asked Dimma if they will start experimenting, and he said "we already are"., or something to that effect.

Dimma getting the defensive options/plans sorted first for next year with the new crew.

Short can try his luck up the ground with Baker.

Possibly a harder edge coming for the Tigers in 2022 I feel and our Defence could be the line that is going to be bringing the edge. But its gonna bring flair and speed with it if they do go this way.

Reactions: 6 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Been a revelation.
Didn’t think he could reinvent himself there but Sundays was his best game and was our best 4 quarter player by a fair margin.

I loved his attack on the player and desire to turn defence into attack with his run.

One problem looking like we may have solved.

Happy for Dan but it’s the start and four games left to build on his last three weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

RichoMan28

#GoTiges
Mar 21, 2010
Went from one of my most disposable at the end of the year, to someone we need to sign up.
Has been great seeing his run and carry.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
And wants to do the kick out. That’s sure to keep spectators on the edge of their seats :D
He'd probably manage to kick 2 points himself for the opposition on kicks in and then probably put at least another 3 Out on the full and give em free shots at goal.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

silvertiger

Tiger Rookie
Aug 28, 2014
Yes and no.
Houli was very good at the intercept mark And creating that extra man in defence.
Rioli seems better as mopping up and running it out, which is what short is meant to do.
keep Rioli and move short to the forward line and move Aarts to VFL
I think Short to a wing would be huge. He likes to play on with the stand rule and with his leg it will open up a dimension the current wings do not provide - kicking penetration and greater awareness of options to take.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I think Short to a wing would be huge. He likes to play on with the stand rule and with his leg it will open up a dimension the current wings do not provide - kicking penetration and greater awareness of options to take.
First thing Shorty needs to do is stop demanding the ball n then running himself into corners. Secondly he needs to find a functioning leg. Maybe then I'll be happy for him to be running a wing. He's been seriously overcooking his game this year.

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
2017 prelim ?
Can’t compare the games for significance or impact but yesterday’s game was the best 4 quarter effort by some margin.
I've never seen him display such an array of skill and football ability.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Great game from Rio. Love it when he plays well. Only problem is most of our tackles are hardly ever HTB.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Haven't posted for a while but had to add how impressed I am with Dan's last two games. Looks a million dollars back there.

He can actually kick too.
looks for the short kick JK. The old lower the eyes not bang it long and hope

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Bloody brilliant to see him bursting through the middle of the ground.

His pace is certainly back & so is his confidence to take the game on.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Daniel Rioli was the spark in early 2017 which started a dynasty.

Remember someone from the club mentioning how Rioli set the tone at training and in the early games which changed the way we played to a fast chaos game. Everyone else followed.

He could well be the spark to keep our dynasty alive.

Reactions: 4 users