Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
His value is at (almost) an all time low. Makes sense to only sign for 1 year, load up and make hbf his over the course of a season and then sign again as a must have commodity. Very clever by both Carr and himself. No point signing for 3 years at 250k p.a when he could back himself to finish top 10 in the best and fairest and sign for 400k.
What if he has a bad season by form and/or injury?

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
One year only. Good by the club. Super surprised that other clubs didn’t come with bigger offers.

Reactions: 1 users

Long Lost Hernaman

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 19, 2007
One year only. Good by the club. Super surprised that other clubs didn’t come with bigger offers.
Who knows, they might have. I really like this by the club and also by Daniel's management. He's backed himself in. A good sign that he, and hopefully others are hungry to achieve more and not content to just play out their careers having won multiple flags.

Reactions: 2 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Just watched the 2019 GF highlights. He is so important to our forward line. I think he is wasted on the backline and we have no-one who comes close to him as a small forward.
He regained confidence on the half back line so it's time to put him back where he belongs.

Reactions: 2 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Just watched the 2019 GF highlights. He is so important to our forward line. I think he is wasted on the backline and we have no-one who comes close to him as a small forward.
He regained confidence on the half back line so it's time to put him back where he belongs.
Funny. I also spent time watching some past finals games over the last couple of days. Daniel's performance in the 2017 prelim against GWS was extraordinary. Dynamic, powerful, instinctive and lethal. 4 goals from 14 possessions. Dermie at the time said it was the best 14 possie game that he could remember.

Agree that he should be in the forward line. A natural when at the top of his game.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
My favourite final was when he kicked 4 against GWS. I find this move to the backline to be perplexing.

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
I believe its contract related and was chasing more money, easier to get a kick in the backline with our current gameplan.
Our forward line was horrible all year this year

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Simple truth is he was playing much better down back than up forward this year, so the move worked for both him and the club.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Simple truth is he was playing much better down back than up forward this year, so the move worked for both him and the club.

While I agree with this I reckon we are short of crumbing forwards, at least more so than clearing, running half backs.

I am not convinced the lockdown small forward role has much value any more with the new rules and I would favour Dan going forward again but with a more attacking role as a goal kicker.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
My favourite final was when he kicked 4 against GWS. I find this move to the backline to be perplexing.
Definition of stupid is doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result. Our fwd transition sucked ass this year. Can't blame Rioli and George for losing confidence. We were getting nothing out of them. Do a switcheroo, let the kid regain some touch and confidence and I'm sure he'll return there once our game plan is back up and running. I reckon it's a brilliant idea and why not give him a run on ball too to get him into the game.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
While I agree with this I reckon we are short of crumbing forwards, at least more so than clearing, running half backs.

I am not convinced the lockdown small forward role has much value any more with the new rules and I would favour Dan going forward again but with a more attacking role as a goal kicker.

DS

we have lots of small crumbing forwards, they are just all shyte :cool:

We do have a surfeit of half-backs though, agree.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
He will end up better than Houli, if he stays back.
agree with this. The problem is we have to find a 2017 Rioli in the forward half. Ground ball gets are king in finals and we need to either bring across some ready made small fwds or re-invent some of our own.

I'd like to see how Short goes up forward - he's pretty quick and has played there in his junior days. Some might say he's a bit soft, but in the fwd line he'll be doing the hunting. Also he's pretty nimble and agile on his feet, has a good sidestep and good acceleration off the first few steps. Very rarely gets caught with the ball. Good feet in tight, also good kick off 1 or 2 steps. Can see him kicking some goals from limited chances in the fwd 50.