Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

RichoMan28

#GoTiges
Mar 21, 2010
Is it just me or have Daniel's skills improved?

I never thought him an elite kick, but he is incredibly smooth coming out of defence, and seems to make the right decisions. Is cutting up teams.
Seems more confident these days. Could also be a fitness thing?

Reactions: 1 user

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Had a couple of timid moments today.
I don't know about that.

Avoidance is a skill - just like reading the flight (Lovemachine - as someone describes him), reading the bounce (MJR) or disguising a clip when spoiling (Grimes).

How many times has Edwards been pile-driven? To paraphrase another poster - slippery as an oiled pig in a monsoon (isn't that great?).

If he finishes the game with the nickname Eel I'll be chuffed.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Always had sublime skills. Just wasn't using them often in chaos ball.

Reactions: 3 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
You get the feeling we'll be dining out on Older Nephew and Younger Uncle for years!

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
So many times he is the one who has run hard to be in the vision of the player about to cough the ball up and Instead he becomes the outlet that creates an overlap and damaging forward entry.

Super encouraging.

Reactions: 7 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Plenty of sauce on the Sausage Rioli. Found himself a niche with some breathing space coming off half back n his game's opened up beautifully. His replacement up forward, uncle Moju appears to have the necessary tools to be more than adequate as he develops along.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Dan is just maturing into someone confident in his skills and knowledge of the game and using it to great effect off half back
Yep. Maturity is the word especially mentoring his Uncle Mozza on and off field.

Reactions: 1 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Pffft. Half back flankers are a dime a dozen.

Half forward flankers can win grand finals.

Now that he has well and truly played himself into form he needs to play forward with MJ, with Shorty in the guts.

Bakes and Stacky as small backs.

The backline talls look good with Dylan, Noah, Vlossy, Gibcus and Iron balls.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Pffft. Half back flankers are a dime a dozen.

Half forward flankers can win grand finals.

Now that he has well and truly played himself into form he needs to play forward with MJ, with Shorty in the guts.

Bakes and Stacky as small backs.

The backline talls look good with Dylan, Noah, Vlossy, Gibcus and Iron balls.
Actually would love to see how this would go. Dan went through a mental rut for a while but reckon he's freshened up now and enjoying footy again. Imagine 2 Riolis roaming and hunting in the fwd line. Hope we mix it up a bit.

• Love

richards42

making the crowd roar
Sep 15, 2005
Gold Coast
I agree he looks super fit.
Would love to see what he could do in the midfield, maybe next year or if there were a few injuries in there. I wouldn’t like to see him used as a permanent forward again. He seems happier behind the ball and linking up with his fellow back man.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
One of my absolute delights used to be to watch the magic of the Krakouer brothers. I have a bias towards creative forwards. They provide so much of the best excitement of our game.

Reactions: 4 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I’ve always liked DR however thought we supporters overrated him a bit at times and since he hurt his foot in the 2017 GF hasn’t been overly consistent , however he’s move to half back has probably added 200k per year to his new contract at the end of the year and made him a genuine chance for an All Australian spot.

Biggest improver this season I’d say

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
The Richmond Regent is but 8 games into his destiny.

He was quiet early against Hawthorn. Lifted.

How long does it take? Royalty succeeds on merit at AFL level.

Daniel Rioli is not waiting for anybody to die. The crown is his to seize.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Could not be happier for the Prince.
From question marks on his footballing future to now questions on just how much his new contract could be worth.
Dare I say it but he’s the perfect replacement for Houli but with a better shoe.
Has to be in the conversation for AA. One of many me thinks

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Just looks the part now and improving week on week. As DA says a perfect replacement for Bachar so Bachar retiring hasn't hurt us at all. Even the AA selectors have to be watching him now

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Just looks the part now and improving week on week. As DA says a perfect replacement for Bachar so Bachar retiring hasn't hurt us at all. Even the AA selectors have to be watching him now
Basher is champion
Rioli is on the verge of becoming a gun half back.
He has been brilliant this year

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Challenges are coming. He has been noticed. Great to see our star rally yesterday.