Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Yeh fair enough. I think I got a bit hard on ol’ Dan this season. Lack of form and fevola lust did not sit well with me. Had a great finals series.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
cut his foot open yesterday, hopefully a quick heal before preseason.

Hope he didn't put a spear through it or a crocodile took a liking to it ;), he is in the Tiwi Islands with the Premiership Cup afterall:)

Extract from AGE piece back in 2017:

Daniel Rioli likens playing finals to fishing on Melville Island. You know crocodiles are around, but you go out anyway and try to put the crocs out of your mind.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I am not a man to be blinded by stats but i were guilty of being frustrated, at times, by Daniel this season by perceived, (IMO), lack of input. It took Dimma in Stronger & Bolder to remind me of the selfless running and acts Rioli does for the team for little personal reward. Lesson learned and shame on me.
There are others he places in this category,

Reactions: 7 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I am not a man to be blinded by stats but i were guilty of being frustrated, at times, by Daniel this season by perceived, (IMO), lack of input. It took Dimma in Stronger & Bolder to remind me of the selfless running and acts Rioli does for the team for little personal reward. Lesson learned and shame on me.

I haven't read it yet but Broady , KMac & George would be 3 off the top of my head

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Stats have always been misleading anyway but we have turned them into a completely useless way to measure how effective a player really is.

I reckon the nearest team to the Tigers, in terms of efficiency, is the West Coast Eagles. Watch them play. From a stoppage, somebody wins the clearance, they handball backwards to someone else who handballs backwards to someone else who handballs sideways to someone who spots up a target up the field. They go backwards 25 meters, sideways 15 and then kick to 20 meters ahead of the stoppage. Four possessions pad out the stats very nicely.

We just handball forwards to Rioli who doesn’t even bother catching it, he just knocks it forward because he knows Castagna, Bolton, Lambert and Higgins are all running forward. One touch and we have moved it 30 metres forward and someone is lining up for goal.

And the West Coast Eagles are good. Half the teams just handball backwards 30 metres and cough it up.

I’ll take Rioli’s 10 touches, 8 tackles and three tap-ons any day over a 25 useless touches game.

Reactions: 4 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
We are one of the lowest possession teams in the league but we are the best team in the game and that does the experts heads in. Dan is a great example of why. I’ve watched him closely in my multiple viewings of the finals series and the number of times his chasing and pressure leads to turnovers is quite amazing
Selfless footballer, totally buying into the Richmond ethos.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
We are one of the lowest possession teams in the league but we are the best team in the game and that does that experts heads in. Dan is a great example of why. I’ve watched him closely in my multiple viewings of the finals series and the number of times his chasing and pressure leads to turnovers is quite amazing
Selfless footballer, totally buying into the Richmond ethos.
Pretty much every player in the team doing similar in regards to work rate n effort one way or another. We've gone from the controlled, precision, over possession game of the last 20 years or so. To a much simpler version of controlled chaos where every player knows his role n the required work ethic n just supports his team mates in whatever way possible in getting the ball away from the opposition and forcing it forward.
Saves us over thinking n measuring every possession n possible outcome of every possession. We just play footy instead of control freak.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Last year 65% of our scores came from turnover. AFL number 1. It is the key to our success and Rioli is a huge factor in it.

We've evolved now to adjust the pressure point according to the way the opponent plays, e.g. in the Brisbane games it wasn't about locking the ball in our forward line but sagging back and running it from defence. Rioli will be less of a factor in that type of game, and the opposition finds it difficult to get over the back of the zone.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yep Rioli certainly does a lot for little stats. Think he did go a bit quiet earlier in the year but you can't be fabulous all of the time.

His work rate is elite, but what constantly amazes me is the work rate of the whole team. Are our players fitter? We do seem to be able to outnumber opponents all over the ground. Reminds me of the old days when Hafey coached a Richmond side who were fitter than just about any other team, and that worked a treat.

DS

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Yep Rioli certainly does a lot for little stats. Think he did go a bit quiet earlier in the year but you can't be fabulous all of the time.

His work rate is elite, but what constantly amazes me is the work rate of the whole team. Are our players fitter? We do seem to be able to outnumber opponents all over the ground. Reminds me of the old days when Hafey coached a Richmond side who were fitter than just about any other team, and that worked a treat.

DS
Are we all agreed that he will never make a full time midfielder now.

I know the hope when we got him was that he would transition but doesnt seem likely now

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Did get dropped during the season..so Dimma wasn't entirely happy.
Definitely hit his best form at the pointy end.

Reactions: 1 users

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Actually we might be talking about two different times. Checking back he missed a couple of games and then came back and then missed again.
The first knock Rioli received was against GWS in round 3 and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were broken ribs involved then or at least cracked and then there seemed to be a few games after that where everytime he played he took more hard hits which would have exacerbated the damage. Sure to have taken a toll on both his body and confidence levels. Gutsy player young Dan.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Are we all agreed that he will never make a full time midfielder now.

I know the hope when we got him was that he would transition but doesnt seem likely now
Do we actually have any full time mid fielders now? Seems to me there's a squad of about 10 or 12 players all spend some time rotating mid, wing, flank, bench as each game progresses.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Do we actually have any full time mid fielders now? Seems to me there's a squad of about 10 or 12 players all spend some time rotating mid, wing, flank, bench as each game progresses.

yeah most players move around a bit these days - Prestia and Ross are mostly mid and Graham as a defensive mid would be about it from last year.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Daniel is an important player for the team with his pressure acts, tackling, chasing etc but I suggest there is still a big upside to him going forward in his ongoing development as a young player. Personally, I like to see him kick a few more goals. I know the players in the team play their role and are unselfish but I don't think it is unreasonable for Daniel to have personal goals to achieve, such as at least 25 goals for the season (or at least a goal a game) and to have more time as a midfielder. Potentially he can keep improving overall as a player as he gets stronger and fitter with each pre-season he does.

Reactions: 2 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I’m expecting Rioli to have his best ever season next year. His finals was of a very good standard. Needs to be more selfish and go for his goals. Just like he did at the end of the first q in GF. Too many times this year he seemed to stop and prop and do a dinky slow handball or kick. I understand at times he would not have had much in front of him. But I want him to take that space and take the game on rather than do a go slow and allow the opposition to get set up behind the ball.

Reactions: 3 users