Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Rioli needs a very good off-season. If he comes back in 2021 and plays like he did this year - trade bait.

Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Just watching the rd1 game v carlton on foxfooty and rioli looked sharp confident and direct. Reckon it was his best game of the year and remember him playing well. The 80 day iso wasn't good for Dan and hope he has a ripping preseason and can return in similar form

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Just watching the rd1 game v carlton on foxfooty and rioli looked sharp confident and direct. Reckon it was his best game of the year and remember him playing well. The 80 day iso wasn't good for Dan and hope he has a ripping preseason and can return in similar form

He fumble more in the last 4 weeks then Brendan Bower did in a season.
He didn't look sharp.
He made some howlers in the GF.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Rioli and Castagna will need to be on their toes next season, Aarts had a very good debut season and will only get better.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

Yep flicked over just as Rioli was burning off Weitering and Docherty :) , Dan is one player that could massively improve his output in 2021 and make us better.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
You could see Daniel was getting too far ahead of himself in the GF. Throughout the whole Finals actually.

Needs to focus on the ball and collect it first instead of thinking ahead and taking your eyes off it.

Another thing that winces me is the ability to take the extra half a second to steady before taking a ping at goal.

Happens all the time where players get a shot at goal and uneccessarily rush the kick and miss it.

That is all for today. Thank you, goodnight :p

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
One of the things that is forgotten about this year is that we played almost all our games at night in Queensland with dew and had some wet weather games. Rioli is one who is much better in dry weather and has trouble handling a wet ball.
Watching the grand final his work rate was very high but he didn’t handle the ball well at all

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I wonder if Rioli is a chance to be our next small forward turned Norm Smith runner up half back?
i reckon having the field open in front of him would suit, and if we can make Houli and Short decent defensively Rioli shouldnt have any problems.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Rioli would walk into any of the other 17 teams - he can break final games open and is still only very young 23 yo and played nearly 100 games (95).

We forget in
* 2017, his 4 goals in the prelim (GWS) got us into the grand final.
* 2018, in the qual final (Hawks) he had 17 disposals and 3 goals
* 2019, in the qual final (Lions) he had 6 tackles and 2 goals
* 2020, in the prelim (Port) he had 13 disposals and 6 tackles (kicked 2 goals in the losing qual final)

If he wasn’t following team rules there is no way he plays - his game is now built on defensive pressure and intensity which he must be doing OK to still be selected - Dimma is a master at dropping players who aren’t quite there.

He is a very good player for us (rated 15 - 20 on our list) and is what the commentators often refer to as our role players and why we are so hard to beat.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think 2020 form is going to be seen to be a bit strange.

You just don't know how the lockdown, followed by the move away from home, affects different people.

A lot of players have looked flat at one time or another in this season. It has been a big ask for all of them and some concessions to the strange year has to be given. Not sure any of us are performing at our peak this year.

DS

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
I think the kid is simply pussy whipped and he needs to move back in With dimma!

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Suspect his foot injury from 2017 GF will be a lifelong issue for him. He looked like he lacked a lot of zip after the first lockdown. Hopefully with Maurice Jnr arriving he may find some spark again.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I dont think the TV cameras captured how much $hai burned him once?.

Danny was 30m clear from any player, dead centre of the forward 50 arc, 25m out from goal directly in front, sprinting full steam.

and $hai didnt see him and had a ping and missed.

Danny insinuated in the wash up that he found Hub Life very tough.

I suspect he hates Monopoly Deal.

We'll see Danny back at best next year. At 24, he'll be entering his peak.

Reactions: 4 users