Welcome to the Tigers Jacob Hopper | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Jacob Hopper

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Foot skills and mobility way off last night. Moved like the bloke who used to wear 22. A 5/10 last night.

Learned from Tarrant last year, let's give the new boys six weeks to understand the Richmond way.
Harsh. In years gone by Cripps would have torched us in close. He finally came up against another bull and Cripps was no where near as dominant.

Sometimes stats dont paint the true picture.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Had concerns all pre-season if he is a good fit for us.

Round 1 hasn't changed that unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Harsh. In years gone by Cripps would have torched us in close. He finally came up against another bull and Cripps was no where near as dominant.

Sometimes stats dont paint the true picture.
Cripps had 25, 16 contested, 7 clearances, 5 score involvements. If it's not a torching I don't know what is. Hopper gets no credit for quelling Cripps.

Hopper had 1 clearance, 3 tackles. I'm giving him time but we need much more from here.

The only bull-like tendency he had last night was the butchering.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I like The Hop, though thought he was just ok last night , looked like a bloke who hadn’t had a pre season . Better for the run I’d say , good thing is Prestia and TT were very good

Reactions: 1 user

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
That last kick into Lynch was a thing of rare beauty. Under the pump with the clock ticking down to 60secs, notice how he didn't panic. Waited until the hole opened up in a sea of Carlton defenders and allowed our man to run, launch and clunk. A game saving kick. Whatever else happened, Hopper was crucial to us winning two premiership points last night.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
will resist my temptation to critique him just yet. I’ll wait to the half way mark of the season. But definitely some red flags on what I’ve seen so far, in the 2 praccies and last night.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Cripps had 25, 16 contested, 7 clearances, 5 score involvements. If it's not a torching I don't know what is. Hopper gets no credit for quelling Cripps.

Hopper had 1 clearance, 3 tackles. I'm giving him time but we need much more from here.

Like I said dont look at stats. Cripps was no where near as influential as previous encounters.

Reactions: 5 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Like I said dont look at stats. Cripps was no where near as influential as previous encounters.
He was still very good at throwing the ball out when tackled, and not getting pinned by the cheats, I mean umpires for it.

Protected species.

Reactions: 8 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
That last kick into Lynch was a thing of rare beauty. Under the pump with the clock ticking down to 60secs, notice how he didn't panic. Waited until the hole opened up in a sea of Carlton defenders and allowed our man to run, launch and clunk. A game saving kick. Whatever else happened, Hopper was crucial to us winning two premiership points last night.
That last kick to open space allowing Lynch to run in an mark was great
Others wouldve bombed it long to the goal square where the 3 backs that were attached to Lynch all night would’ve marked or tap it through for a behind

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Yeh, Cripps was enormous in the last qtr. Hopper didn't quell anyone.

But its early days. If we can break even with the best midfields we will win more than we lose.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
seeing his mate Taranto get heavily involved might give him some fuel

playing first up against Cripps ain't easy, particularly watching how gifted (by the umps) Cripps is ..

Reactions: 2 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Just relax people. He missed most of last year due to his knee.
Just wait till he learns our style and gets miles into his legs.
Top class footballer.

Reactions: 7 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Just relax people. He missed most of last year due to his knee.
Just wait till he learns our style and gets miles into his legs.
Top class footballer.

It really is a bizarro world when usually measured posters are questioning a player after 1 game and Zips has the most sensible post.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022

Cripps had 15 touches up until 3qt. Last quarter he exploded with 10 touches, 4 clearances and 7 contested possessions. Most of his disposals were handballs too. Don't think he had his usual impact that he does against us. Whether that was down to Hopper or not im not entirely sure, but our midfield was better

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Thanks 8 - didnt realise hoppy sent that ball in.

Agree with Aces, cripps was 70% of what he usually is.

I was a bit dismayed at a couple of his early field kicks,

Dion was the same when he first arrived.

These north orchard blokes are used to kicking with the PA announcing a toyota seca with its headlights left on,

Not 80,000 psychos screaming who to kick it to.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
will resist my temptation to critique him just yet. I’ll wait to the half way mark of the season. But definitely some red flags on what I’ve seen so far, in the 2 praccies and last night.
23 disposals and 9 clearances against Melbourne is a decent hitout. Last night all mids didn't get high disposals, plus I reckon week by week it'll differ for us who gets more of the ball. It's great to have options and not just have it lumped on Prestia. Taranto got his 32 last night, could be Hopper or Prestia next week.

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Cripps had 15 touches up until 3qt. Last quarter he exploded with 10 touches, 4 clearances and 7 contested possessions. Most of his disposals were handballs too. Don't think he has his usual impact that he does against us. Whether that was down to Hopper or not im not entirely sure, but our midfield was better

You say sensible things Monsab

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I'm always wary when supporters start bringing out "oppo player didn't do much" to justify the selection of one of our players who is not doing much.

Did hopper actually have a tagging role on Cripps? I'm not sure he did. Seems like straw grasping to me. And if we generously say he played a kind of run with role, then at best he marginally reduced Cripps' influence.

Watching both live yesterday, I'd rather see Sonsie in the guts than Hopper.