Welcome to the Tigers Jacob Hopper | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Jacob Hopper

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
The fact he only played 70% game time suggests he’s building into the season, he certainly gets to the right spots I reckon he’s taking time to transition to way we play , no problems

Reactions: 6 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I respectfully must ask ...... do we seriously consider "This fella is 187cm and 86kg" ............... a brute??

I'm 188 and 90kg (normally 88kg but I'm getting old!)

I would never describe myself as a brute.............

at 187 cm you need to be 94kg of packed muscle to be a brute.....................
To brute or not to brute, that is the question? :unsure:

Cotchin - 183cm, 85kg
Hopper - 187cm, 86kg
Taranto - 187cm, 88kg
Martin - 187cm, 93kg

I think we are talking 'brute' more in the way they hit the ball, the opponent or go through a pack than the actual 'size' of them.
I always considered Cotchin a brute cause of how he plays the game, but going on his size you may well argue he's not? :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
I respectfully must ask ...... do we seriously consider "This fella is 187cm and 86kg" ............... a brute??

at 187 cm you need to be 94kg of packed muscle to be a brute.....................
Depends, is that 88kg flabby or cut and rock hard

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

At 194 cm and 95 odd Kg and with my boyish good looks does that make me a Hunky Brute ?

• Haha

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Although Taranto really looks like he belongs, you can't expect players to gel right away.

Hopper had an injury interrupted season last year also - he will get better and repay the faith our recruiting team had in him.

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia

So who is a “brute” on your terms?

I’m sure your 88-90kgs is a lot different body composition to jacobs.

Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Yep people saying to play Sonsie over Hopper don’t realise they’re completely different types of players.

No, the people saying play Sonsie over hopper do realise that.

It's exactly why that suggestion is being made.

I want a class user who is composed and creative in the trenches and can get the ball from inside to outside.

I said it last year when everyone was bemoaning our lack of big body mids. We don't need big bodied mids. We haven't lost big bodied mids.

Our biggest, and least discussed loss, is the loss of Lambert and Edwards. Edwards gave you the kind of clearance that sets up goals, and did it flying through a scrum. Sonsie has a little of that.

Lambert moved from contest to contest, driving the ball forward, linking clearance to outside. Sonsie has a little of that.

Judson is another who has some Lambert about him.

I think Hopper is a good acquisition. He's got seven years to be a Richmond Midfielder. But I don't think he's had a great prep, I don't think he's in good form, and I don't think he's immune from playing VFL.

I'm also not sure where he fits yet. We have lots of big clearance players in the side at the moment, some playing in weird positions. I don't think the mix is right. Hopper, Dusty, Cotchin, Taranto, Prestia are all pure clearance players, though some are being played out of position. To me, the balance looks better with one less of those and Sonsie in the side. Seeing Sonsie play on the weekend, I know why he didn't get picked, he was very clearly underdone. But he won't be very soon.

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
22614C69-BD8C-463C-847F-8DEEBB8A20F3.pngBoth average 4.7 clearances (doesn’t fit in the screenshot). We’re all very happy with Prestia so I’m sure once he settles in and gets going we’ll all be stoked with Hopper as well

Reactions: 3 users

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
I want a class user who is composed and creative in the trenches and can get the ball from inside to outside.
That’s EXACTLY what Hopper is, if you’ll actually give him some time to settle and not write him off after one game…..

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
That’s EXACTLY what Hopper is, if you’ll actually give him some time to settle and not write him off after one game…..

It's easy to completely fabricate a point and then call it ridiculous isn't it?

In no way have I written him off. All I have said is that if we are not playing well, and he is not performing after a couple of weeks he may need a spell in the VFL while he learns how to play Richmond footy.

I'm not sold that what he's doing right now is what we need.

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
I'm also not sure where he fits yet. We have lots of big clearance players in the side at the moment, some playing in weird positions. I don't think the mix is right. Hopper, Dusty, Cotchin, Taranto, Prestia are all pure clearance players, though some are being played out of position. To me, the balance looks better with one less of those and Sonsie in the side. Seeing Sonsie play on the weekend, I know why he didn't get picked, he was very clearly underdone. But he won't be very soon.
They’re not all the same kind of midfielders though. Prestia and Taranto are transition mids, fantastic two way runners. Cotchin and Hopper are more inside mids who crash in hard but won’t clock up as many kms. Dusty is playing forward if you haven’t noticed. Graham is also a great transition mid and we have Shai who adds the electricity to the mix. We will definitely see Sonsie at stages this season but I highly doubt it’ll be at the expense of Hopper.

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
It's easy to completely fabricate a point and then call it ridiculous isn't it?

In no way have I written him off. All I have said is that if we are not playing well, and he is not performing after a couple of weeks he may need a spell in the VFL while he learns how to play Richmond footy.

I'm not sold that what he's doing right now is what we need.
“im not sold that what he’s doing right now is what we need” after playing 86 minutes of football. Please just stop :ROFLMAO:

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
“im not sold that what he’s doing right now is what we need” after playing 86 minutes of football. Please just stop :ROFLMAO:

He's played 3 games in Richmond colours that I've watched this year. And I'm not sold.

It's not a particularly controversial stance, I would have thought. For me, it's a wait to see what happens. On current output and team balance, I'd rather a different mix.

But you seem very upset about this, so maybe it's best to agree to disagree.

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
He's played 3 games in Richmond colours that I've watched this year. And I'm not sold.

It's not a particularly controversial stance, I would have thought. For me, it's a wait to see what happens. On current output and team balance, I'd rather a different mix.

But you seem very upset about this, so maybe it's best to agree to disagree.
I’m not upset I’m frustrated as the same thing happened with Prestia back in 2017, as well as Lynch in 2019 and that frustrated me then too. People need to give these guys a chance. The two I mentioned are now our two most important players yet people were ripping on them unnecessarily in their first few weeks/months with us!

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Cant believe how quite you guys give up on a player

Hopper is the exact type of player we have been crying out for for 5 years

Reactions: 4 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Cant believe how quite you guys give up on a player

Hopper is the exact type of player we have been crying out for for 5 years

Seeing we won two premierships in those 5, I'm not convinced we desperately needed him. One of them was even against him...

Lambert and Edwards are the ones I'm crying over now.

But I also couldn't see Lamberts real value at the start either, so what do I know.