Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
He also stands under the ball and takes his eye off it when an opponent is approaching and drops it in the first quarter and then his next effort is standing at the front of the pack and dropping a fairly uncontested mark. The first one is really poor, the second we could give him the benefit of the doubt with the wet ball.

Neither of those are anywhere near the level of the head duck under the ball on the wing though. It's as bad as you would ever see at AFL level.

Yes he is tough and hard lots of times but he also has lapses in effort that are unacceptable and need to be eradicated from his game.

and yet, with a kick separating who plays off for the 2020 premiership,

with a 200cm/100kg man bearing down on him at full speed,

Marlion eradicates it from his game?

could it be, if this flaw exists, that it is a pragmatic technique to ensure that he is at the finish line, plying his trade (which has essentially been proven as willing his side to win big, close games?)

His best quarters of football have come in the final stanza of the 2019 VFL qualifying final (2 point victory) , 2019 VFL grand final (3 point victory), 2020 AFL preliminary final (6 point victory). This isnt fiction. This is olden style fact.

Marlion Pickett wins tight finals.

im going to say that again, because it is the rarest footballer that does this.

Marlion Pickett wins tight finals

My argument is not that Marlion is flawless.

My argument is that nobody is,

and I am campaigning to open peoples eyes to the beauty of his football.

which is without precedent in my eyes.

Im not saying he is the most beautiful footballer ive ever seen,

but that the unique beautiful brutality with which he plays our game, and his ability to find another level of work rate and physicality deep within big, tight games

I have never seen before

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Marlion eradicates it from his game.

but that the unique beautiful brutality with which he plays our game,

I have never seen before

You assume those that are able to see and highlight his weaknesses, or times when he didn't do what's expected on an AFL player, are not able to see the beauty of his football.

It's more likely that those that can only see the good and refuse to acknowledge the not so good in Marlion are those that need to open their eyes.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It's more likely that those that can only see the good and refuse to acknowledge the not so good in Marlion are those that need to open their eyes.

Well I could never see anything good, whatsoever, in the great Australian poetry of Les Murray,

so yes, I accept there is a reasonable chance I am blind.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I don't disagree with anything you are saying. It's a flaw in his otherwise very good game and he needs to fix it.

Thats fine.

But really, if you can be *smile* about credibility in my eyes (I wouldnt be),

you would need to deconstruct the flaw in Dustin Martins game

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I think if you looked through my posts you'd find plenty of honest assessments of Dustin, whether it be trying to do too much with the football and not understanding his team mates limitations, taking the 45 kick at the wrong time too often, or even frank assessments of his early off field life and how it should have cost him his place at the club. I'm on record as saying I don't think he should have one at least one of the Norm Smith medals.

no worries BR, I wasn't so much as singling out your views on dusty,

as pointing out, as I have forever,

that the flawless footballer doesn't exist.

I accept we are all different and see things differently.

I am just bestowed with a gift of seeing the pure, unrivalled, beauty

of Marlion Pickett on a footy oval,

with extreme clarity

Reactions: 1 user

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
He also stands under the ball and takes his eye off it when an opponent is approaching and drops it in the first quarter and then his next effort is standing at the front of the pack and dropping a fairly uncontested mark. The first one is really poor, the second we could give him the benefit of the doubt with the wet ball.

Neither of those are anywhere near the level of the head duck under the ball on the wing though. It's as bad as you would ever see at AFL level.

Yes he is tough and hard lots of times but he also has lapses in effort that are unacceptable and need to be eradicated from his game.
With all due respect - a man who loves midnight oil is not someone I would value an opion from :)

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
I actually don't, it's the line the guy from the Killers said in the prematch in 2017. Just stuck with me for some reason as a memory of the day, their version of Forgotten Years was a cracker and summed up the Tiger story.
Okay- I have a friend in the USA who owned a company that set up stages for all the big Rock artists concerts. He said Peter Garret was a dispicable human being after what he witnessed back stage. I was at a BBQ at this guys house he had walls of pictures of himself with all the Rock Artists.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I love hearsay rumours about famous people

I bloke I know met the Dalai Lama and said his always either living in the past or getting way ahead of himself

I dunno if it's true?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I actually don't, it's the line the guy from the Killers said in the prematch in 2017. Just stuck with me for some reason as a memory of the day, their version of Forgotten Years was a cracker and summed up the Tiger story.

Have wondered where that line was from. Thanks for clarifying TBR.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Okay- I have a friend in the USA who owned a company that set up stages for all the big Rock artists concerts. He said Peter Garret was a dispicable human being after what he witnessed back stage. I was at a BBQ at this guys house he had walls of pictures of himself with all the Rock Artists.
I’m a big oils fan but I knew a guy who had a clothes shop in Byron bay many years ago. PG comes in, makes his selection, goes to pay and asks for a discount.....

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

Marlion eradicates it from his game?

could it be, if this flaw exists, that it is a pragmatic technique to ensure that he is at the finish line, plying his trade (which has essentially been proven as willing his side to win big, close games?)

His best quarters of football have come in the final stanza of the 2019 VFL qualifying final (2 point victory) , 2019 VFL grand final (3 point victory), 2020 AFL preliminary final (6 point victory). This isnt fiction. This is olden style fact.

Marlion Pickett wins tight finals.

im going to say that again, because it is the rarest footballer that does this.

Marlion Pickett wins tight finals

but that the unique beautiful brutality with which he plays our game, and his ability to find another level of work rate and physicality deep within big, tight games

I have never seen before
It’s not your fault you have no benchmark.
Its a pity you never saw Maurice Rioli play.
He was beautiful and tough. Golden Gloves tough

Broders

Tiger Superstar
Jul 29, 2012
I’m a big oils fan but I knew a guy who had a clothes shop in Byron bay many years ago. PG comes in, makes his selection, goes to pay and asks for a discount.....
Well look no further than our premium defender if that's what you are basing your opinions on.

The guys at the farm supply shop here in Woodend hate it when Grimes goes in. Everything is way too expensive for him and he is always asking for discounts and trying to barter with them like its an Indian trinket stall.

I'm not judging just stating the facts as I know them.

• Wow