Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
his goal was terrific, however, his flick to Edwards coming down from the ruck play was super good. Well done Pickett.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He's an unusual ruckman, but a good one. Dimma and Rattans references to it in their pressers was interesting. Dimma said members of the coaching panel had pushed it because he was good at it, had "jumped over" rucks in the WAFL. Ratten on the other hand didn't rate him and thought it was pathetic the couldn't take advantage when he was in the ruck, "no offence to Pickett, but he's not a ruckman".

I think he might actually be a good ruckman, when you factor in his leap, strength, and agility to follow up. As I said, there is a precedent, he reminded me of early career Darryl White, he'd go up in the ruck, then rove the tap regardless of whether he'd won it.
90% of ruck work is providing a contest when the ball is bounced, thrown up, then it's all about the contest at ground level.
Premium ruck men might give their mids first look a handful of times during a game, the rest of the time it's a mid fielders brawl as to who gets the pill.

Fish as a second string ruck, provided plenty of contest, then instantly became an extra hard nut brawling mid fielder. BONUS. Grigga played as an extra mid who pretended to ruck sometimes, Fish is good enough to contest against oppo second tier rucks as well as be the extra mid.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Forget his rucking. Yeah, it was good. But it's a novelty. I doubt he'll ruck against Gawn (though I'd like to see it).

But let's talk about his midfield work. Brutal. Instinctive. Clean. Efficient. Creative. Defensive.

Some of us have been asking for him to be played in the middle for some time. This is why.

He's done well on the wing. But that's a position that really highlights and expose his weakness, without really playing to his strengths.

I noticed Baker went to the wing. Now there's an idea.

Marlion's an inside mid. No more discussion.
Don't expect him to ruck against Gawn or Nic Nat or Grundypants or Tottie Goldstien. They're Nank's job, happy for Fish to have a dance on the head of oppo second rucks though n he instantly becomes an extra mid after the bounce, bonus.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
After watching the replay , I’d say that’s the second best game of footy he has played, I might just jump back on the Pickett express

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I do like what he does at the fall of the ball..

Exactly. This is why I reckon we need to get him in to the guts playing an inside mid role.

I feel that is easily Marlion's most natural position.

And if it happened, Trac-man would be just that. He'd be running so hard in the opposite direction you'd think he'd be trying for Tokyo.

Reckon Oliver wouldn't like it much either.