Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Aaahhh, but they ruled that there was a POTENTIAL to cause injury so the suspension had to stand. FMD there's a potential to cause injury to almost every aspect of a game of footy. Might as well just shut the whole comp down n everyone can go home, lie on their backs in the yard n watch clouds float by. Always remembering of course not to look in the direction of the sun, we don't want to risk a fried eye knacker.
Higgins got hit and concussed albeit softer hit but still. One gets rubbed on potential. The one that does damage goes through to the keeper. Nuts

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
Any video I saw was inconclusive at best. How do you rub a bloke out for MAYBE making high contact?
So the AFL have robbed a guy out for MAYBE contacting the head and POTENTIALLY causing injury.

Well stuff me, you could apply that to a hell of a lot of contests in every game each week if you wanted to. If they don’t like the look of it then just come out and ban the hip and shoulder and stop this banning by stealth when it suits the old boys club fruiting the game.

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
McGuire was right last night. He’s made some mistakes , can be annoying etc but he’s always had a good sense for public opinion around pure footy matters and the game, and applying common sense.

The game is being sanitised beyond acceptance, it’s too bureaucratic, and people are voting with their feet by not attending games or watching them on tv.

There’s one or two other factors for sure, but that’s the leading one I reckon.

Reactions: 11 users

Punt n Brunton

Tiger Purist
Sep 17, 2003
Good ol' Ed was fired up last night, and he's dead right on the Marlion Pickett case.

It took me a long time to work out that the AFL thrive on drama. They see their 'product' as entertainment and not football. They work to the philosophy that no publicity is bad publicity, so they deliberately create things that are controversial to fire up debate. The tribunal is the classic template for this. How there could be so much inconsistency is beyond a joke, but it's actually what they want, as it creates controversy and prime time media discussion, including the news bulletins.

Reactions: 5 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I think the goal umpiring signalling has remained top quality, if lacking some of the pizazz of earlier days.
Getting rid of the white coats was a mistake. It was one of the few things people overseas enjoyed about our game.

• Love

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
But, but, but, the potential to cause damage!!!
From memory Soldo got done for a very soft fend off as he was walking to his position after a goal. His was also an action that had the potential to cause injury, according to the MRO. I’m not sure I’ve seen any other suspensions for ‘the potential to cause injury’. And Eddie is 100% accurate when he says decisions like that are why people are staying away.

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
I think we should stick it to the league with repeat verses of “freeeee Marlion Pickett” just prior to the bounce… that would get the meeja talking!

Reactions: 1 user

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Then I think you’ve been drinking the Culture Wars Kool Aid again…never a good idea to presume the worst intentions of people based on pure guesswork and your own biases. Straw man territory. (I’ve never found any of those things acceptable, BTW.)
I'm not sure what this means, the culture wars are a real thing if that helps, and I'm not sure you know what a straw man is. I posted what I hear, its not always right, but life is short, you have to play the percentages.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
All - This is a Marlion Pickett thread. Can we please get the conversation back to our beloved, but suspended Tiger.

I'm going to come back soon when I have more time to split out the Political correctness discussion and put it in the relevant place on PRE.