Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Dylan Grimes just raved about Pickett for about 2 full minutes on SEN. RAVED. Basically Grimes is excited and wants him in. To sum up, hard edged silk.
Dylan is far too switched on for this to be a slip of the tongue. Genuinely exciting stuff.

Reactions: 4 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I reckon we play him this week. We will see quick enough whether he sinks or swims at the level. Another week or two in the VFL means we see little of him at AFL level before finals. The step up can be too big for some but for others they translate quickly. Let's see what he's got before we play our two top 4 challengers in the last two rounds

Reactions: 9 users

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Pickett is a must for the Carlton game - Is he a Stack or is he a Bust. Roll the dice. My guess is he will excel. 3 Weeks of AFL before the finals is perfect preparation.

Reactions: 1 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Pickett is a must for the Carlton game - Is he a Stack or is he a Bust. Roll the dice. My guess is he will excel. 3 Weeks of AFL before the finals is perfect preparation.
Yes, not ideal to have his first taste of AFL pace and tackling pressure to be in a final. Bring him in now to give him some experience playing with his AFL team mates.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Apart from the fact he's barely played any footy this year, he's still trying to learn our structures and systems under match day conditions while also trying to get match touch and hardness.
Prefer to see him at least get a second game in the magoos before stepping him up to a senior game or two.
Two games at ressies to feel his way into things, then two games against other finals contenders to see if he can comfortably step up to senior level. If he's comfortable at seniors then there's still another step up to take for finals footy.
It;s a big ask for any player to step through in such a short time. If he handles it, farkin bonearse, we'll have another serious player.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
He won't get 35 and bog in a final. But if he got 15 quality touches we are more than justified. I think they should play him v Carl. Needs at least some adjustment to the pace.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
If his a young player those numbers are good, however as a 25 year old in an inferior league there not overally exciting to me. Liked what I saw on Saturday, however I think he needs an AFL pre season and a few more VFL games before he can possibly have a real impact at AFL Level

Killed it in the finals last year, 25 disposals in 2 of 3 finals and good tackle counts and 8 goals and 12 scoring shots. That's good enough for me. Injured this year so can write this season off so far.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
I'm thinking it would be crazy to play him after 80% game time in 1 game at VFL level after almost 3 months out.

Might rub other players the wrong way too.

Prefer to see him a little more @ VFL level. If he dominates, then puts his hand up for selection.

Reactions: 1 users

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
I'm thinking it would be crazy to play him after 80% game time in 1 game at VFL level after almost 3 months out.

Might rub other players the wrong way too.

Prefer to see him a little more @ VFL level. If he dominates, then puts his hand up for selection.
The other players will have seen the same skills at training that Dylan has seen, so they will know he can play. And they should understand the club must pick their best team each week with no favourites based on being a good player but nothing special. This is professional sport and if they don't have their eyes open to how selection works then that's their problem. They need to be good enough to be picked. I recall Rance didn't want to upset team balance by getting Lynch but that has not happened. Sometimes it can be an issue... 2009 Brisbane made a big error getting Fevola to play FF which upset their FF Bradshaw (to Sydney) and Richitelli (to GC).
If they think his skills are needed in finals then 3 AFL games before finals is better than 1 or 2. This week v Blues is ideal first game.
Hope he can do at least as well as Jack Graham 2017 - played R22 - GF with disposals 13, 18, 9, 14, 16. Tackles 11, 7, 9, 5, 3. Goals 1,1,0,0,3.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user