Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
The expectations on Pickett seem too high to me. A good player in a comp a couple of levels below AFL, overlooked by mnay for years including us but now seems to be put on a pedestal as some sort of football messiah.
Agree. The hype here is ridiculous. May well be a goodun but the calls to rush into the team given current position is way OTT.

Reactions: 1 users

Phar Ace

"PRE just banned my biggest fan!"
Jun 17, 2004
Queensland
The expectations on Pickett seem too high to me. A good player in a comp a couple of levels below AFL, overlooked by mnay for years including us but now seems to be put on a pedestal as some sort of football messiah.

Hey JB!!! He does some on field stuff incredibly easily though, that's what the expectation is all about surely. You just wonder if the next step he takes in his stride and feels at home or whether he struggle even more. He's a bit silky when he does get it.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
We got used to Stack and Ross just being readymade footballers so expected the same of the Merlion.

A tad unrealistic.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Pickett just couldn't get into it. Is he a half back flanker? Seemed a little lost to me. A little bit shocked because I thought his first VFL hitout was great. Maybe playing a good side has shown him out a bit. Can't imagine we'll be seeing him selected against Brisbane.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
If I'm Craig McRae, I'm asking whether I have to carry Pickett into the VFL final series.

He spent most of today invisible. And when he was there, he was either turning it over or giving away free kicks.

Phar Ace

"PRE just banned my biggest fan!"
Jun 17, 2004
Queensland
Pickett just couldn't get into it. Is he a half back flanker? Seemed a little lost to me. A little bit shocked because I thought his first VFL hitout was great. Maybe playing a good side has shown him out a bit. Can't imagine we'll be seeing him selected against Brisbane.

Not playing with the same mobility and attack on the ball as he did in his first hit-out. It's a huge move for a guy at his age and big family - might a bit more on his mind than he should for those couple of hours?????

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
If I'm Craig McRae, I'm asking whether I have to carry Pickett into the VFL final series.

He spent most of today invisible. And when he was there, he was either turning it over or giving away free kicks.
Maybe the air's not good around Wacko Hill. Lots of bong stinks around Moonee Ponds.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane

Agree, and he's hardly played all year too. He's an educated guess we are hoping can make the grade. And it won't be this year

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Agree, and he's hardly played all year too. He's an educated guess we are hoping can make the grade. And it won't be this year
Agree. It looks like he needs a full AFL pre season before he can hope to make an impact at the top level. Understandable as he’s hardly played this year.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Its amazing the tall poppy syndrome here.

Pickett is a good player.

I agree he was crap today. My guess is he was hampered but you can't say that because its just making excuses right?

Most of you havent even seen him play but are so quick to get your back up because of the people who have seen him play and their opinion.

FACT: IF he was such a crap player that some of you guys make him out to be, why was he named Emergency not once but 2 weeks in a row???

I think he will come out finals and produce the goods.

Anyway you all got your wish.

Unbelievable, yay for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Has missed alot of footy this year and hasn't set the world on fire either.

Sign him on another year PBC and prime him for next season.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Pickett is a good player. My guess is he was hampered today but you can't say that because its just making excuses right?

Most of you havent even seen him play but are so quick to get your back up because of the people who have seen him play and their opinion.

FACT: IF he was such a crap player some of you guys make him out to be, why was he named Emergency not once but 2 weeks in a row???

Anyway you all got your wish. For what ever reason, it looks like he is not going to make it this year.

Unbelievable, yay for you. Wallow in it!!!
Geez. Got ya knickers in a twist?
Might simply be that some hyped him up pre drafting over his WAFL form n expected him to simply elevate straight into the senior side. Fact is that Marlion has missed most of the year with a double break n surgery repair on his finger. Difficult for any player to come in n play quality senior footy on the come back, add to that having to pack up n move interstate, without a proper pre season makes things even more difficult.
Have only watched his last two games on t.v. n so far he's been mediocre at best, for the aforementioned reasons. There's games and finals available for him to find some rythm n form, but so far seniors looks a step away for the moment. More than happy for him to get a full pre season and a full opportunity to mesh with the playing list, as I reckon most Tigers fans are. But at the moment he's a couple of steps away from making a senior appearance, never mind any meaningful impact.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Watched him for the first time today, albeit streaming not live. Didn't see much that screamed "Pick Me!". Stack was doing a lot more until he went off hurt

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012

Pickett is a good player.

I agree he was crap today. My guess is he was hampered but you can't say that because its just making excuses right?

FACT: IF he was such a crap player that some of you guys make him out to be, why was he named Emergency not once but 2 weeks in a row???

I think he will come out finals and produce the goods.

Anyway you all got your wish.

Unbelievable, yay for you.

I've seen him play a number of times now. Granted today was his worst game.

But I was at the G watching him last week too. I also thought he was rubbish then. AFL traits, WAFL concentration. Spent a lot of time spectating. But at least last week he did something when he got it.

I just wonder if he is the right use of the mid season draft. Unproven at even VFL level, a 10 week lay-off ahead of him, and also, a half back flanker. Seeing we were down a tall defender, and we have very little redundancy in this position, there may have been a better VFL option.

Garth was good today. Kmac is an interesting option as a tall defender, but needs an apprenticeship there if we're going to try it. But that's all we have if one of our talls in the backline go down.

Not sure what benefit Pickett offers right now. None, going on form.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Absolutely. He has potential, he is experienced, a harder older player who excelled in the competition he was in. But, he needs some time and a pre-season and then we should see how good he can be.

DS

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Hey JB!!! He does some on field stuff incredibly easily though, that's what the expectation is all about surely. You just wonder if the next step he takes in his stride and feels at home or whether he struggle even more. He's a bit silky when he does get it.
Wowee PharAce! Awesome to see you back

Reactions: 2 users