Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Its amazing the tall poppy syndrome here.

He hasn't really had any level of AFL success yet to warrant calling opinions a case of tall poppy syndrome. Just think we as a whole expected a little too much from him so early and pumped him up as a guaranteed success. Clearly you never quite know until they've been tried at the top level. And it's not always skill that is the decider, there's a significant psychological aspect as well at the elite level.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Geez. Got ya knickers in a twist?
Might simply be that some hyped him up pre drafting over his WAFL form n expected him to simply elevate straight into the senior side. Fact is that Marlion has missed most of the year with a double break n surgery repair on his finger. Difficult for any player to come in n play quality senior footy on the come back, add to that having to pack up n move interstate, without a proper pre season makes things even more difficult.
Have only watched his last two games on t.v. n so far he's been mediocre at best, for the aforementioned reasons. There's games and finals available for him to find some rythm n form, but so far seniors looks a step away for the moment. More than happy for him to get a full pre season and a full opportunity to mesh with the playing list, as I reckon most Tigers fans are. But at the moment he's a couple of steps away from making a senior appearance, never mind any meaningful impact.
Nothing wrong with that sentiment in my view.

That’s not denigrating or in the least or criticising a tiger player.

2019 isn’t the year of opportunity for Marlion; perhaps? Rubbish, he’s landed at an AFL club.

Get a pre season and let’s steam in 2020 Marlion.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Remember he hasn't played much footy lately. Needs time to find some form. Big preseason and let's see what he's got to offer. Aarts Towner Balta and a few others are ahead of him and that's ok.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Remember he hasn't played much footy lately. Needs time to find some form. Big preseason and let's see what he's got to offer. Aarts Towner Balta and a few others are ahead of him and that's ok.

What is the logic in taking someone in a mid season draft who needs a big preseason?

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Reading this thread is like riding a roller coaster :)

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Even Dustin Martin has quiet games.

Not 13 touches in a really weak league he wouldn’t.

Pickett was a risk and it’s failed. I guarantee the recruiting guys were expecting ‘Lachie Neale’ numbers and a ‘Townsend’ presence.
They have got neither in 3 games. 17–15-16 touches won’t cut it.
Playing him off half back was to get him used to our style. It’s failed he looks lost and disappears during games.

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
Club deliberately backs its judgement and picks players who are a bit risky so that they can get more bang for their buck - a better return than their draft selection position warrants. Ross (injuries) / Stack (background) / Pickett (age & background) are all cases in point this year alone. The risk with this sort of strategy is of course that it doesn't work. For poor old man Pickett - it so far hasn't worked in the three weeks he has been able to play for RFC after 8+ weeks off injured.

Damn - its upsetting enough to make me want to reach for my tissues.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
No risk strategy, nothing to lose so no big deal. Only argument for a lost opportunity is that we could have picked soneone else who would have made an immediate impact. Not easy to find. Pickett situation was made more complex by the untimely broken finger.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Does he have more upside than Weller? Matt Thomas? Adam Thomson? Adam Marcon?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I'm happy to back Matt Clarke's 2020 vision.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Hasn't been great, hasn't been terrible.
Is a better player than what he's showing. Has only played 3 and a bit games for the year after breaking his finger twice, so may still be getting confidence in it. I think his wife and kids are still in Perth, so can probably cut him some slack.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Still seems to me to be an odd use of the mid season draft.

But fair enough.
Suspect they took him mid season, as they knew they would be no chance come National, Rookie or pre-season drafts later in the year. The WA clubs would likely have snaffled him or made others pay too high a price pick wise.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Suspect they took him mid season, as they knew they would be no chance come National, Rookie or pre-season drafts later in the year. The WA clubs would likely have snaffled him or made others pay too high a price pick wise.
The WA teams have have had 10 years to take him.