Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Perhaps GWS didn't give him the respect being a first gamer. But what was obvious was a guy who could do some sublime work in close and under pressure. He was pivotal in a number of our scoring chains with intercept interference/good positioning and releasing players into dangerous space. For a guy not familiar with our system its actually unbelievably good. If we can elevate role players with our team first style, I'm certain this guy will be elite next year.

Reactions: 3 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Marlion is the Mark Waugh of footy. Makes it look effortless, like he has all the time in the world. And before you now it, he has 20 key possessions.

But if you think his skills are great, wait til you see him hit someone (fairly of course). I have heard he hits harder than Byron.

• Wow

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Had somenone today trying to convince me that his GF was a flash in the pan.

From what i saw, there is no damned way that is the case. His football IQ it totally off the scale. It's not his blind turn that convinces me of that. There were so many little nothing things he did that you know would have turned out differently with almost any other footballer. An example is running along the boundary with a player coming in at him and shoving him over the line. Anyone else and that kick goes 20 rows back into the stand. Pickett adjusts himself to hook the ball back into play as the shove takes place.

Receives the ball in the forward line and knows he won't avoid the tackler. Most would get caught with it, but he handballs out in front, but not just in front asd another GWS player would have taken possession. He handballs so the ball is travelling at an angle that wrong foots the second player, but allows himself to get the ball to Bolton, who is also under pressure. The two of them weave "black man" magic under extreme pressure resulting in them getting the ball to Ellis 15m clear, who funbled it. That was their only mistake, involving a white man in a black man's dance.

His ability ot read the ball around clearances is sublime. Bearing in mind he's used to the wide open WA grounds, the VFL grounds would not have suited him at all. Once he was in the open expanses of the MCG, he stood out like a beacon. He's not overly blessed wih pace, but his mind is light year ahead which buys him space.

Lastly, how many players would you trust to take into a GF with as little football as he had at either VFL or AFL level to learn our game style. Id say sweet FA, but this guy is just different.

He's a football Einstein.

The real beauty is thatin Shane Edwards, we also have Neils Bohr

Enjoyed your post, especially the highlighted part. Below is an edit from my post #986, Sept. 25, on this thread in the lead up to selection night. Pleased to say I think Marlion lived up to it pretty well:

I agree with those who are arguing for Marlion. I've watched every one of his games, including his first live. He is a hardened professional who knows exactly how to go about it - whether inside the packs or outside. He is cool under pressure and knows exactly what to do as a quality footballer in any situation. Picks the right option: long, penetrating kick or a sharp, precise short pass; handball, tackle, dodge or weave or contest; apply pressure, chase hard or fly for a mark.
He can do it all, and all at high quality: kick, mark, run, score, chase and tackle, has speed and is really tough and brave. Just look at what he has done at VFL level, in finals, that mark he took. You wouldn't want this in the side? Is JRoss as good an all-round player yet?
I am confident Marlion is able to play as both a defensive and offensive mid according to role per instruction. But he's a weapon who will hurt you if ignored. Marlion will be dangerous kicking to Tom, Jack and co.
... MP shows ample capacity to step up to the occasion and not be over-awed.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
One of the things which really impressed me in 2017 as the season went into the finals, and even more so in the finals, was how well a fair number of our players were reading the game. They always appeared where the ball was about to go.

I don't think you can teach this, it takes experience and Marlion has played a lot of footy and brings that ability to read the game and anticipate. Do we recruit for this? Dunno, but we do have a good number who can anticipate very well and it is a huge advantage.

Can't see Marlion being a flash in the pan, he has 5 and maybe a couple more good years I reckon. Gives him a chance to set himself and his family up for life, just real glad he's playing for us.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
anyone who hasn't seen the GF highlights package of Marlion on the story about Colin Beards touching tribute on the Tigers website, doo yorselves a favour! I was grinning from ear to ear watching it, knew all the plays, but to see them lined up, wow. To say he is a perfect player to slot into our side is gross understatement.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Anyone who says "he is a flash in the pan" is probably just jealous that we have him or they are ignorant of his proven VFL / WA record of playing like that for the past 5 years...or both! He will bring people to watch how footy used to be played before coaches started making everyone play the safe way, like robots.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Anyone who says "he is a flash in the pan" is probably just jealous that we have him or they are ignorant of his proven VFL / WA record of playing like that for the past 5 years...or both! He will bring people to watch how footy used to be played before coaches started making everyone play the safe way, like robots.
The only 'flash in the pan' player so far is Daddy Long Legs at the Chokers. That PF 2018 performance made us stronger. Blessing in disguise in some way....

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
anyone who hasn't seen the GF highlights package of Marlion on the story about Colin Beards touching tribute on the Tigers website, doo yorselves a favour! I was grinning from ear to ear watching it, knew all the plays, but to see them lined up, wow. To say he is a perfect player to slot into our side is gross understatement.

Thanks for that snakey.

Pretty eerie.
50 years on. Same age. Same club in WA.
Eerie ...

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Marlion is the Mark Waugh of footy. Makes it look effortless, like he has all the time in the world. And before you now it, he has 20 key possessions.

But if you think his skills are great, wait til you see him hit someone (fairly of course). I have heard he hits harder than Byron.
Welcome back Streak. Still wearing those Richmond socks?

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
While walking through the city last week I psassed 2 separate randoms talking about Marlion Pickett. It will b etched forever
Had somenone today trying to convince me that his GF was a flash in the pan.

From what i saw, there is no damned way that is the case. His football IQ it totally off the scale. It's not his blind turn that convinces me of that. There were so many little nothing things he did that you know would have turned out differently with almost any other footballer. An example is running along the boundary with a player coming in at him and shoving him over the line. Anyone else and that kick goes 20 rows back into the stand. Pickett adjusts himself to hook the ball back into play as the shove takes place.

Receives the ball in the forward line and knows he won't avoid the tackler. Most would get caught with it, but he handballs out in front, but not just in front asd another GWS player would have taken possession. He handballs so the ball is travelling at an angle that wrong foots the second player, but allows himself to get the ball to Bolton, who is also under pressure. The two of them weave "black man" magic under extreme pressure resulting in them getting the ball to Ellis 15m clear, who funbled it. That was their only mistake, involving a white man in a black man's dance.

If you get a chance, replay the lead up to Rioli's goal at the end of the 1st quarter.

We have slowed this down and watched it over we are adamant the kick wasn't sloppy like the commentator said it was.

He was shaping to hand pass but with no options available he quickly chose to scrub the ball forward to Castagna.

The replay on the day had a different camera angle that showed him dissecting the slightest gap between Williams and Whitfield.

It wasn't sloppy at all, it was the perfect option the ended up in a goal on the siren.

While getting lunch in the city last week I passed 2 random conversations where I heard Marlion Pickett.

If his performance isn't folklore yet, it will be soon enough.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang

Reckon Marlion has a lot bigger heart then the brother of Steve . Welcome back Streaker

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Whatever magic dust our selection committee got sprinkled with I’m impressed. We’ve taken multiple calculated risks this year backing in form over tenure / or injured talent. The benefits are plain to see. Probably goes
Back almost to graham being selected leading up to 17 finals and culminating in pickett. Exciting times.

Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Marlion is a quiz question in today’s Australian. Work group runs the quiz at lunch. I did nothing and just smiled. Everyone else knew the answer.