Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
There’s also mental pressure. Don’t think he was under pressure to kick that goal? It looked like an easy goal, right? Ask Castagna to do the same thing. He’s got ice water in his veins.
Speaking of Castagna, I bet he was saying **** I wish I could do that.

Reactions: 1 user

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
There are "tough guys" like Toby Greeen.

Then there are tough guys.

I know which category Marlion fits into.

Yep.

However, I hate the term tough, and tend to use it in a more derogatory way as per your reference to Toby Greene.

I prefer to think of the other guys as hard. They live hard, they play hard, they train hard, they think hard, there is nothing contrived about it.

Reactions: 6 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Yep.

However, I hate the term tough, and tend to use it in a more derogatory way as per your reference to Toby Greene.

I prefer to think of the other guys as hard. They live hard, they play hard, they train hard, they think hard, there is nothing contrived about it.
There’s a difference between tough and dirty. Pickett is tough or hard and Toby is dirty.

Reactions: 2 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I've already said I think Pickett will go backwards to go forwards this season.

It is easy to get swept up in the hype but my take on him in the VFL was he tried to do too much with the ball for the pace of the next level and I still felt that was evident in the Grand Final, despite the total lack of pressure.

I suspect teams will quickly focus on applying increased tackle pressure on him and he will find the going tough.

My tip is he will be adjusting his game in the VFL by the midway point of the season.

I understand where you are coming from Big man, and the concerns are genuine. He will take a little time getting a feel for the pace of the game at AFL level, everyone does to some extent.

However, I believe that will be mitigated somewhat by the fact that Pickett is first and foremost a lump of steel dressed in silk. I live in WA so can't comment on his VFL form and what he showed there, but the hit Stack put on Viney is the type of collision that Marlion instigated on a regular basis at WAFL level. He doesn't line them up like Stacky did on Viney, he just has this ability to create a collision in a short space that takes his opponent out of the contest. And he hits hard.

I also understand that opponents are typically bigger and stronger in the AFL. But I think we will see Pickett handle himself admirably if people do try to put more physical pressure on him. It is his bread and butter, he'll be fine. And so I think our coaches will look to ease him in by allowing him to play to that contested possession strength as opposed to what we saw in the GF, which was as you say, a game involving no opposition pressure.

The silky skills of the GF will not be on display as often from Marlion, but there will be flashes, and he will learn how to accommodate the quickness in the game around him and still execute those skills fairly quickly I suspect. He is also a magnificent reader of the ball and play in general, and he will adjust after 4-5 games.

I actually have a greater concern around his fitness. He isn't a running machine and doesn't have a great tank. It isn't like he is a slouch in this regard, but he relies much more on reading the play to impact a game. This worries me a bit with the manic game we play which relies on positioning and filling holes. Even our big guys like Nank and Soldo play this way, and that is what I think will take Pickett time to adjust to.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
One of my favourite stats From the GF is

Matt de boer - 12 disposals, 10 uncontested 6 clangers 1 behind 0 medals

dustin Martin - 22 disposals, 4 goals, 2 medals

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
I no another gun player who hasn't got a elite tank and isn't really a running machine,his name is Dustin Martin and his game is Talent, power,keeping his feet, reading the game,traits that Pickett seems to have also.

Reactions: 2 users

rinso17

Tiger Superstar
Feb 2, 2005
1 game, sure...its the AFL GF and he had a VG game against a team daunted and scared, is not a big enough body of work to judge him a star or a spud.
I'm keeping my powder dry till he plays 20 games.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
One of my favourite stats From the GF is

Matt de boer - 12 disposals, 10 uncontested 6 clangers 1 behind 0 medals

dustin Martin - 22 disposals, 4 goals, 2 medals

Good stat. *smile* did tag Prestia in the 2nd qtr though.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Big Richo, I reckon you are right that he will be getting some rough attention. Aussie Rules is a contact sport. Of all the players coming into AFL I would say Pickett is far more likely to be able to handle this than most so, while it may slow him down for a while, I still think he'll be able to find a way to play well. The Richmond coaches will be warning him of this and I'm sure he got some rough treatment in the WAFL, I reckon the WAFL would be pretty rough at times.

I understand the challenges but remain optimistic he can be a very good player if not more.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Yes, so do I.

A few of the previous posters seem to have misunderstood what I am saying a little. I'm not questioning his toughness or his ability, but I am doubtful he will head straight to established AFL player, let alone star without some set-backs along the way.

Straight in established player for mine. A star without setbacks? Almost every player has setbacks. BOG in VFL grand final, voted 3rd best in AFL grand final on just 66% game time yet 22 disposals, 8 inside 50s, 3 clearances, 8 contested, 9 score involvements, 559 metres gained. He's a hardened player from the WAFL, 28 years old and every incentive to make the most of the little time he has left to play AFL footy. He's super skilled and talented. Didn't do a lot defensively in the GF but he can certainly tackle. That's potentially the issue I see, his tank to get back defensively as well as attacking. Will be interesting to watch his progress that's for sure. He was a free hit so anything he can provide will be a huge bonus.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
In the 80s,90s, WAFL stars were looked on as almost ready made stars,buckenara,rioli, Mitchell, just to name a few of many instant stars,as vfl/AFL plundered the talent,instant star expectations went ,but with Tim Kelly and maybe Pickett it still happens.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
My take on Marlion is that he is similar to Kelly at Geelong. I know Kelly is 4/5 years younger but I can see Marlion having the same impact. Kelly came in and played every game for Geelong and was at 24/25 disposals straight away playing 85% game time.

The only thing with Marlion is that we will not need him to play 85% game time and he slots into normal mid rotation in place of Jack Graham who ran at about 75% game time

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
If that's your conclusion then your comprehension needs some work.

So Marlion plays a good game because he had no opposition, so why didn't Cotchin, Edwards, Prestia or Lambert not do as well as Marlion? Were they playing a different mob?

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Yes, so do I.

A few of the previous posters seem to have misunderstood what I am saying a little. I'm not questioning his toughness or his ability, but I am doubtful he will head straight to established AFL player, let alone star without some set-backs along the way.
I get what you are saying TBR. It makes sense to consider that the opposition will seek to impede, block and bruise him. It will not come easy, and the big Fish will have a target on his back.
To my eye there is scope to adjust and move the ball on quicker. But that's also how we play, to have flair and occasionally get caught and then shake it off.

We can see it with one of the classic moments in the GF.
Llook at the kick to Dusty (who then gives it back for Marlion's goal). He is running down the wing chased by sam reid and The Big Mummy is thundering in from the other side. The camera misses the collision but its Reid who is sprawling on the ground near concussed. Marlion has taken his time to kick to Dusty's advantage and then half ducks to slip through unscathed. What a beauty.

Other teams will dish out bumps and late hits and pack wrestles. But they will miss him more than they get him!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Teams don't target individual players anymore. It's a system based game now and how players perform their role in that system.

Reactions: 3 users