Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Fish is a very versatile player who could play the Grigg 2nd ruck role. With Nank and Ivan playing well together we have probably moved on from having a small 2nd ruckman, but Marlion could do it. I've seen him do it in the WAFL, as well as play forward, wing, midfield and in defence.
I understand he has only played the one game, but I'd like to as sure as winning lotto as Fish continuing on from his GF performance, especially if he plays midfield.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
I get what you are saying TBR. It makes sense to consider that the opposition will seek to impede, block and bruise him. It will not come easy, and the big Fish will have a target on his back.
To my eye there is scope to adjust and move the ball on quicker. But that's also how we play, to have flair and occasionally get caught and then shake it off.

We can see it with one of the classic moments in the GF.
Llook at the kick to Dusty (who then gives it back for Marlion's goal). He is running down the wing chased by sam reid and The Big Mummy is thundering in from the other side. The camera misses the collision but its Reid who is sprawling on the ground near concussed. Marlion has taken his time to kick to Dusty's advantage and then half ducks to slip through unscathed. What a beauty.

Other teams will dish out bumps and late hits and pack wrestles. But they will miss him more than they get him!

Mummy’s performance in the GF was Josh Jenkins-esque. The only difference was that he was not allowed anywhere near the goal square.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
so true, he was as slow as grandmother's parking in the shopping centre.
But it suggests how difficult it will be to hit Pickett

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I think that The Big R has a point, for once :p
Teams will seek to shut him down and will see his flair as an opportunity to turnover.
Pickett will adjust during the season, and he will also get caught. And he will make plenty look silly. Exciting times

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I love the Big R's contrariness - I also agree with him about twice a month. On Pickett, I reckon he's wrong though. Fish Marlion will cope with whatever's thrown at him and be all class as he does it.

Mark Zanotti

Tiger Cub
Apr 19, 2013
Yep.

However, I hate the term tough, and tend to use it in a more derogatory way as per your reference to Toby Greene.

I prefer to think of the other guys as hard. They live hard, they play hard, they train hard, they think hard, there is nothing contrived about it.
They walk hard. Walk hard. Dewey Cox

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
I agree, he's just so calm, loved him telling Danger to shut up in the Prelim. He's got good hands, good kick, doesn't mind knocking blokes over. In a short times he's become a very good player, but I reckon there's more in the tank.

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
I know I should probably wash my mouth out with soap, but even Dusty gets caught sometimes. Fish should be more than fine, he simply adds another layer of quality to an already premium mid field ( chumpion data are ***** ) Presty, Dusty, Cotch, Shedda, Fish, Lamblett, Cadds, Higlet, Fridge, JR, Stacka, Shai, Sausage will all get a look n run through our midfield at various times during games. Opposition sides will be turning themselves inside out trying to figure out who's doin what during a game.
And that there is our strength, keep em rotating and not let the oppo settle. I still think this ability is what rendered De Boer useless in the GF. GWS were going **** who is the most damaging to tag, eventually they gave up!

Hes My Hero

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 1, 2006
Melbourne
Can't wait to see Marlion, Stackman and Shai dance in the middle of the G together

...And this year we will be adding to that trio with none other than Maurice Rioli jnr.

Just when you thought it can’t get any better.......IT DOES !!!

What an era to be a Richmond supporter :banana:banana:banana

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
The historic Grand Final debut that almost wasn’t

Jon Ralph
Sunday Herald Sun
23 February 2020

Richmond nearly baulked at playing AFL Grand Final hero Marlion Pickett because it feared the “enormity” of a media circus that might distract the club and its players.

But having watched Pickett’s flawless pre-season, senior club adviser Neil Balme believes he can carve out a special life-changing career at 28.

Balme said the club had wanted to play Pickett for some time last year but realised a stunning selection bombshell in Grand Final week was a call few had ever made before.

Only when the club’s senior players told Damien Hardwick that Pickett was so unflappable he would take a debut in his stride did the match committee pull the trigger.

Pickett realises he has the chance to alter his life with a prolonged multi-year stint at Tigerland that would prove he is more than a one-hit wonder.

“He has been amazing (over summer), really. Better than you can ever hope. He has got such a wonderful attitude towards his opportunity,” Balme told the Sunday Herald Sun.

“He has been outstanding, done everything asked of him. He will be very, very good.

“He doesn’t make any noise about it at all but he does everything. He just pushes himself, he trains well, he has got a lovely balance about his game, he knows the other side of the coin.

“It’s a great opportunity for him and his family and the opportunity is there to keep playing senior footy.”

The Tigers had considered playing mid-season draftee Pickett earlier but after Jack Graham dislocated his shoulder and Pickett won the VFL best-afield award they again reconsidered their stance.

“Funnily enough during the week, it’s easy to say now, but I had been promoting him for some time and I thought it was a no-brainer. But ‘Dimma’ (coach Damien Hardwick) particularly had to get his mind right. What does it look like? Are there are other kids that might have an opportunity?” Balme said.

“The sad bit was Jack Graham misses and there is an opportunity, what are we going to do? “And we almost got frightened off by the enormity of the story — do we want to have to deal with this story?

“This is too big a story and then we said, ‘You just have to judge it on how he has played,’ and the simple answer is we should give him a chance.

“Damien spoke to quite a few of the players and they were unequivocal about the fact he would handle it. You can rely on him playing, he won't get carried away by it at all and that was the information to get back, so Damien said, ‘Yes this is the way to go’.”

Pickett’s 22 disposals and a goal — set up by former housemate Dustin Martin — included a glorious blind turn out of the centre square in the premiership win over Greater Western Sydney.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/e13404d88f1e5e6d086a1130d0765f60

Reactions: 1 user