Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
I think we are making the same case here.

He has come from so far back I can't see how he doesn't still have plenty of learning to do before he is able to adjust to AFL level footy. The Grand Final performance was amazing but there's a big difference between a one off performance and grinding it out week after week.

I see him as being like a test batsman who bursts onto the scene with a century, but then opposition sides take notice, find a weakness and 10 tests later he is back in the Sheffield Shield honing his game.

I'm not questioning his ability to handle pressure or his toughness, I'm wondering more about how quickly he can adjust to the speed and structure of an AFL game.

I know the easy answer is look at the Grand Final but that was a Grand Final in name only, GWS's pressure parkers were lower than an Auskick game.

For example Pickett loves to do plenty when he has the ball and we all loved his blind turn, but I guarantee every assistant coach in the competition coded the tape to show that in the opposition meeting before playing his this season.

Teams will make a point of breaking the usual convention of corralling and have a mantra to press on him on every occasion. They will know he doesn't have training years under his belt so they will pummel him at every opportunity in order to fatigue him.

He will never have taken as many bumps in a game of footy in his life as he will in every game next year. Teams will make him take every step they can to blow him up. GWS won't have placed anywhere near that sort of focus on him for the GF.

That's just a couple of examples of the scrutiny you just don't find in the WAFL or VFL and it bound to take some adjustment.

It may well be that he has the sheer talent to overcome all of that but given he will be coming from a long way back in fitness base he will be a very, very special player if he is able to seamlessly continue to perform at senior level.

I hope he can and does but I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Richmond's system is such that your fellow players help you out if you get in a situation. They know what your weaknesses are and come to your aid. That's because they are men who can speak up about their weaknesses.
Work on your strengths not your weaknesses.
Find others to help with your weakness, it is their strength.

Reactions: 2 users

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
Back on Page 20 of this thread I suggested that Marlion would be SS on steroids & it was good naturedly implied I should get my hand off it.
What a season we’ve got to look forward to,the “Brothers” dancing around the opposition & the most potent forward line in living memory fit & raring to go.
2020 : Bring it on, ‘cause I feel a “Back to Back” coming on.

Reactions: 1 user

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Can't wait to see Marlion streaming out of the center square in the Dreamtime game.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I think that The Big R has a point, for once :p
Teams will seek to shut him down and will see his flair as an opportunity to turnover.
Pickett will adjust during the season, and he will also get caught. And he will make plenty look silly. Exciting times

Only way they shut down Pickett is if they specifically target him and if they do that the Prestia's, Martin's and Cotchin's will have a feast. I'm not sure Pickett will demand extra attention, at least until he's showing regular damaging consistency. That will be the challenge but that extra pre-season of experience will certainly help his cause.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Only way they shut down Pickett is if they specifically target him and if they do that the Prestia's, Martin's and Cotchin's will have a feast. I'm not sure Pickett will demand extra attention, at least until he's showing regular damaging consistency. That will be the challenge but that extra pre-season of experience will certainly help his cause.

Bingo

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Back on Page 20 of this thread I suggested that Marlion would be SS on steroids & it was good naturedly implied I should get my hand off it.
What a season we’ve got to look forward to,the “Brothers” dancing around the opposition & the most potent forward line in living memory fit & raring to go.
2020 : Bring it on, ‘cause I feel a “Back to Back” coming on.
Had that feeling since the siren on GF day.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
I'm not talking about tagging him, but I think teams will study his bag of tricks and be looking to pounce on him when he tries to evade them.

Apart from Dustin, very few players manage to successfully take on tacklers for very long at AFL level and I have a feeling Pickett is going to find it a hard habit to shake.

He is a human being with the capacity to learn BR. And his trick bag is deeper than blind turns.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The blind turn is tougher than a don't argue to predict. Will Marlion spin clockwise or anti-clockwise?

• Haha

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
The blind turn is tougher than a don't argue to predict. Will Marlion spin clockwise or anti-clockwise?
Matrix style....over the top.... maybe with a show of the footy half way through...

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I'm not talking about tagging him, but I think teams will study his bag of tricks and be looking to pounce on him when he tries to evade them.

Apart from Dustin, very few players manage to successfully take on tacklers for very long at AFL level and I have a feeling Pickett is going to find it a hard habit to shake.

You try and pounce on any player that tries to evade you. Really there was the one occasion where he blind-turned out of trouble, the majority of times it was just good old fashioned positioning and reading of the play that saw him do so well. Will be fitter and stronger now which will negate the extra pressure he will receive. He won't need to stand out as our best player, just needs to fit in well with the midfield structure to have an immense impact this year.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
You try and pounce on any player that tries to evade you. Really there was the one occasion where he blind-turned out of trouble, the majority of times it was just good old fashioned positioning and reading of the play that saw him do so well. Will be fitter and stronger now which will negate the extra pressure he will receive. He won't need to stand out as our best player, just needs to fit in well with the midfield structure to have an immense impact this year.

There was vision of Pickett doing a blind turn in the VFL and he got caught but he was good enough to get the handball away to a team mate.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018

If anyone was going to have that feeling, it was always going to be you.

#alwayslookonthedarksideoflife.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

He's great on both sides of the body too regarding disposals. Keeps the oppo guessing which way he will go.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
on exposed form (n=3 2 GF's and an intra club) , Marlion is a solid top 3 most creative and damaging player in our side (dusty, Marlion, sheds)

he'll be tagged for stretches in 2020 for sure.

I dont think it will really bother him.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Pickett is better then Tim Kelly,
Ive never seen Kelly play well in a GF and i have never seen Pickett play poorly in a H&A game...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users