Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Yeah you're right, suggesting a second year player might find increased scrutiny a challenge and struggle a bit is such shocking doom and gloom. That never happens, that's why there isn't a name for it, like the second year blues.

You've inspired me to rethink my whole approach.

Marlion plays for Richmond and everything Richmond is great. He will definitely be an All-Australian and win the Brownlow this year, unless of course the umpires and the AFL conspire to stop him because they hate Richmond and cheat against us all the time.

Of course you won't read that in the media because they all hate Richmond as well and want to see us back down the bottom of the ladder.

Even with all of that cheating against him, Marlion will still dominate because every other player and coach in the AFL is hopeless and has no idea what they are doing anyway.

If Marlion doesn't play really well or the team loses a game however, I will point out how pathetic our recruiting is, how we wasted a pick on an old player when we should have gone for a kid, remind you that my dead Grandpa could have got a kick against GWS in the Grand Final so it didn't count anyway and our recruiters and coaches have no idea.

Looking forward to adding to the depth of the site with such analytical and insightful posting.

Second year blues for a 28 yr old?
I have 2 words for you.
Tim Kelly.

But whilst I’m adding logic to the argument, have you heard of a player called Lauchie Neale? Apparently gets a bit of the ball. Had a lazy 43 disposals on the weekend. Wonder why no coach stopped him?

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Who's played 1 game!

Who came 3rd in the Norm Smith in a G.F in front of 100,000 plus spectators for his first game of AFL whilst most players would have been stuck in the s#itter.
Yeah I’ve heard the following arguments
1. It was a fluke.
2. We had no opposition.

Here’s the alternatives.
1. Nothing fazes him.
2. He’s a gun.

The facts point in favour of my arguments.
Emotional naysayers have no evidence whatsoever at this stage.
Sorry for dealing in facts and logic.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Another fact is that he played against witches hats.

I have no doubt Marlion will end up with a brilliant highlights reel by the end of 2020, but he'll also get caught.

And the Umps being what they are, he'll get pinged for holding a lot quicker than mere mortals because of his ability to avoid opposition players. A bit like Dusty when someone grabs his fingers during a don't argue, Umps blow holding a lot quicker.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Another fact is that he played against witches hats.

I have no doubt Marlion will end up with a brilliant highlights reel by the end of 2020, but he'll also get caught.

And the Umps being what they are, he'll get pinged for holding a lot quicker than mere mortals because of his ability to avoid opposition players. A bit like Dusty when someone grabs his fingers during a don't argue, Umps blow holding a lot quicker.

Of course he’ll get caught occasionally however someone here was suggesting his “bag of tricks will be worked out”
To instinctively evade and wrong foot opponents is an art form. Some players have it ( Marlion ) and some don’t ( BEllis )
Very hard to stop. It’s special awareness, speed, agility and peripheral vision. It’s his one wood. Think people getting carried away by his blind turn. It’s was wide and spectacular however the fundamental was he wrong footed his opponent. That’s the art. That’s hard to stop even for the fastest players in the league

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Of course he’ll get caught occasionally however someone here was suggesting his “bag of tricks will be worked out”
To instinctively evade and wrong foot opponents is an art form. Some players have it ( Marlion ) and some don’t ( BEllis )
Very hard to stop. It’s special awareness, speed, agility and peripheral vision. It’s his one wood. Think people getting carried away by his blind turn. It’s was wide and spectacular however the fundamental was he wrong footed his opponent. That’s the art. That’s hard to stop even for the fastest players in the league

JRoss busts a pretty sweet sidestep in the Intraclub highlights.

amazing what dropping a stone over summer can do for a blokes dance moves.

it could be our next game change - hire David Burke as our gym coach and build a side of waifs?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Who came 3rd in the Norm Smith in a G.F in front of 100,000 plus spectators for his first game of AFL whilst most players would have been stuck in the s#itter.
Yeah I’ve heard the following arguments
1. It was a fluke.
2. We had no opposition.

Here’s the alternatives.
1. Nothing fazes him.
2. He’s a gun.

The facts point in favour of my arguments.
Emotional naysayers have no evidence whatsoever at this stage.
Sorry for dealing in facts and logic.

Calm down, Stop Arguing, I was stating a fact that supports your argument. Pretty hard to compare second year blues to your first year when you didn't really play a first year (other than 1 game).

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
in summary of this argument we have one point of view that he is a gun with a special bag of tricks. At the very least he will be a very very good player.
The other view is that he will be a very good player who will adjust his game from the lower levels of WAFL/VFL to cope with the extra coaching/higher competition which will probably happen during this season. He may need to be more selective with when he uses his tricks * . At the very most he will be a gun.

* ( same as pendlebury does. He has admitted to playing more straight and using first option in the first half, before the tricks come out after half time)

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I am suggesting that instinct could prove difficult for him because other sides will study him forensically and look for tells, something he will never have encountered before in his football. Assistant coaches will code every time he evades and study them for any patterns.

At their opposition scouting meeting the coaches will school his opponents on anything they find. Maybe he steps off the right foot every time he blind turns, maybe he does it in certain areas of the ground, maybe he looks in a direction before he sidesteps, or anything else they can find.

I reckon you'de have more chance of working out what Barnaby Joyce was gonna say next after 10 schooners at the Criterion.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I reckon you'de have more chance of working out what Barnaby Joyce was gonna say next after 10 schooners at the Criterion.

"Marlion's left upbrow twitched upwards slightly - this means a dummy, pivot, hip shake then a blind turn counterclockwise before delivering a reverse torp off the right instep to Dusty in the left-forward pocket"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
"Marlion's left upbrow twitched upwards slightly - this means a dummy, pivot, hip shake then a blind turn counterclockwise before delivering a reverse torp off the right instep to Dusty in the left-forward pocket"

sounds about right.

if you were on schooner 9 with Barnaby, it'd go something like ....

Barnaby's wiping the froth off with his left pinky in an upward motion - he is likely to lurch to the womens dunny, *smile* in the basin, hip shake, lose a left boot before lowering his eyes at the publican about the architect making the urinals way too high, whilst readjusting himself through a medium-sized dusty hole in his left forward pocket

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
You haven't understood what I am saying, so let me go through it again.

I am not talking about a hard tag on Pickett, as you seem to be suggesting. There is no possibility he gets a hard tag. None at all.

What I have been largely talking about is one very specific aspect of his play, his tendency to take on opponents when he has the ball.

Watching him in the VFL and GF Day he often takes opponents on when he has the ball, whether it be via blind turn, sidestep, etc...

I am suggesting that instinct could prove difficult for him because other sides will study him forensically and look for tells, something he will never have encountered before in his football. Assistant coaches will code every time he evades and study them for any patterns.

At their opposition scouting meeting the coaches will school his opponents on anything they find. Maybe he steps off the right foot every time he blind turns, maybe he does it in certain areas of the ground, maybe he looks in a direction before he sidesteps, or anything else they can find.

Opposition mids will be looking for it and trying to turn a strength into a weakness.

It may well be that like Dustin and Eddie Betts, Boomer Harvey and others he is so good at evading that he gets through them anyway but that's not my feeling from watching VFL.

Coupled with some of the other issues he will face like fitness base and copping physical attention with a light frame, I suspect he will take some time to adjust.

So getting back to my original point, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start the season at AFL level, spend some time back in the VFL by midyear to adjust his game and then find his way back into the AFL side.

Again I could be wrong and he could be another Tim Kelly but history says there are very few players that manage to launch a career at that level from the start and not have many set backs along the way.

If that is too negative for you then I can only apologise.
I understand your case however that tends to be the ultimate roadblock to plodders that have zero pace and agility but are absolute ball magnets at vfl , I could prepare a list as long as my arm of those types , Marlion has afl qualities that will see him rise above the vfl star plodder

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
More than just Marlion stuff but Leppa is pretty happy with what he's showing!

That Marlion screw kick over his right shoulder to the other flank Leppa was talking about is depicted in the RFC Intra Club highlights. It was on his non preferred no less :D

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
That Marlion screw kick over his right shoulder to the other flank Leppa was talking about is depicted in the RFC Intra Club highlights. It was on his non preferred no less :D

He’ll get caught doing that in the seniors.
Oh wait, he did it against the reigning Premiers........ ;)

Last edited: