Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Agree sentiments in here. Pickett, stack and lynch for no actual national draft picks in same year.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Rabbia said:
It's a bit weird actually. Of course I want us to win, every time. And almost as important, I want Collingwood to lose, followed by Carlton, every time. That's how I grew up. At the same time though, I almost don't mind if we don't win the whole shooting match this year, given how we've performed under adversity anyway (although I still want Collingwood to lose, don't get me wrong). It's just after all the crap we went through, I'm really happy with the CLUB right now.

Great post Rabs!

I had the fortune/misfortune to start following the Tigers in 1981 after my family moved back to Melbourne from Perth where we'd been for about four years. I'd seen 1980 GF on the TV and my best new friend was a Tigers supporter so it all made sense to follow the Mighty Tiges. 1981 wasn't great, but then 1982 made it seem like everthing was going to be fine again, at least until that last day of the season when I was in standing room in the Great Southern. But it seemed like there would be many more GFs in the 1980s so I wasn't too worried.

As we all know now that Ruthless Richmond approach that worked so well before then was not sustainable and led us to many years in the wilderness. What Peggy and Benny did to turn the club around in recent years has been miraculous. The cultural change both on and off the field has been the key. And for the record, I thought the five year plan was BS when they first came out with it.

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
Yea it was '73. Thanks CTT.

'80 was just the biggest GF win of all time, at that point - the margin. And against Collingwood, it could not have been any sweeter, it was an utter massacre. Defining images were David Cloke virtually parting the Red Sea in the goal square amongst a bunch of players to take a chest mark and easy goal, and of course KB absolutely running amok and exploiting the holding the man rule (he'd bounce and could not be tackled, then burst away). I think Stan Magro was sent to Sunny Acres rest home, directly after the game.

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
antman said:
Great post Rabs!

I had the fortune/misfortune to start following the Tigers in 1981 after my family moved back to Melbourne from Perth where we'd been for about four years. I'd seen 1980 GF on the TV and my best new friend was a Tigers supporter so it all made sense to follow the Mighty Tiges. 1981 wasn't great, but then 1982 made it seem like everthing was going to be fine again, at least until that last day of the season when I was in standing room in the Great Southern. But it seemed like there would be many more GFs in the 1980s so I wasn't too worried.

As we all know now that Ruthless Richmond approach that worked so well before then was not sustainable and led us to many years in the wilderness. What Peggy and Benny did to turn the club around in recent years has been miraculous. The cultural change both on and off the field has been the key. And for the record, I thought the five year plan was BS when they first came out with it.

Well reading back over, I think I was waxing a bit lyrical there, albeit sincere, but thanks.

From what you say, I expect you might be a bit younger than me. I'm sorry you had to go through that, seriously, and I take my hat off to you, for sticking it out. I certainly suffered myself, even with what I'd had beforehand. Anyway I'd say the thing is - you can have some confidence, you have a fair bit to look forward to from here. So...good stuff.

I've never known what to make of 5 year plans myself. They were all the rage with the Communists back in the 50's. This many tractors, that much grain, and so on. I don't think they ever won a premiership, but what do I know.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
CarnTheTiges said:
Thought we won all the goal kicking awards in ‘80. Roach, Jackson and Lane in the U19’s.

You're right. I always get it mixed up.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Rabbia said:
Just thinking about these comments from Easy, Lamb, Artball et al...

I've been a Richmond supporter for a long time and have seen every premiership since '69. So I grew up during the days when we were the most powerful club out there, no question - I'd trot along with my Dad each week. And it was really something special - that Tiger roar thing is no fantasy.

But it occurred to me just now, and yea I'm no doubt cranking on a bit here, but anyway... I don't think I've ever been prouder of the club than I am now. The indigenous stuff is part of that, but it's not just that. I think our President is fantastic, same with the CEO, you couldn't get a better 'around the place' guy than Richo surely, and on it goes.

It's a bit weird actually. Of course I want us to win, every time. And almost as important, I want Collingwood to lose, followed by Carlton, every time. That's how I grew up. At the same time though, I almost don't mind if we don't win the whole shooting match this year, given how we've performed under adversity anyway (although I still want Collingwood to lose, don't get me wrong). It's just after all the crap we went through, I'm really happy with the CLUB right now.

So yea, totally agree.

====

As a side note: how many of these damn posts do I have to put up before I lose this 'rookie' tag? Lol I can stop then.

x2

TygerTyger

oh yeah!
Oct 17, 2006
Richmond
Rabbia said:
Just thinking about these comments from Easy, Lamb, Artball et al...

I've been a Richmond supporter for a long time and have seen every premiership since '69. So I grew up during the days when we were the most powerful club out there, no question - I'd trot along with my Dad each week. And it was really something special - that Tiger roar thing is no fantasy.

But it occurred to me just now, and yea I'm no doubt cranking on a bit here, but anyway... I don't think I've ever been prouder of the club than I am now. The indigenous stuff is part of that, but it's not just that. I think our President is fantastic, same with the CEO, you couldn't get a better 'around the place' guy than Richo surely, and on it goes.

So yea, totally agree.

====

As a side note: how many of these damn posts do I have to put up before I lose this 'rookie' tag? Lol I can stop then.

Agree! I think this quote from conviictcreations sums it up for me:

“Richmond fans have often depicted Collingwood as representing the worst stereotypes of the working-class; profane, unruly, aggressive and obnoxious. On the other hand, Richmond has depicted themselves as representing the best aspects on the class; passionate and tough.
Personifying the difference was a TV show hosted by ex-Richmond Captain Jack Dyer, and ex-Collingwood Captain, Lou Richards. There was Dyer, a magnificent physical specimen whose mere presence commanded valour, strength and dignity. Besides him was Richards; a sly little weasel who would rob his own mother if given half a chance.
-- http://www.convictcreations.com/football/richmond.htm

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
TygerTyger said:
Agree! I think this quote from conviictcreations sums it up for me:

“Richmond fans have often depicted Collingwood as representing the worst stereotypes of the working-class; profane, unruly, aggressive and obnoxious. On the other hand, Richmond has depicted themselves as representing the best aspects on the class; passionate and tough.
Personifying the difference was a TV show hosted by ex-Richmond Captain Jack Dyer, and ex-Collingwood Captain, Lou Richards. There was Dyer, a magnificent physical specimen whose mere presence commanded valour, strength and dignity. Besides him was Richards; a sly little weasel who would rob his own mother if given half a chance.
-- http://www.convictcreations.com/football/richmond.htm

Yep Tyger. In a nutshell.

Collingwood had John Wren pulling strings (now its Eddie). We were anti establishment to our boot laces.

Only club to forfeit a flag chance because the Umpie was a cheat.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Thought about him a lot after our loss and what role he can play.

And then it came to me, he is actually the Brandon Ellis insurance if he walks via free agency. We need Brando to be that link player and take the game on, at the moment he is going backwards. Look at Pickett's highlights, he can be that guy between the arcs.

We take Pickett, get him ready for the role in 2020, take the salary cap relief from not signing Brando on 600k and use the extra comp draft pick to get another quality kid.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
SCOOP said:
Thought about him a lot after our loss and what role he can play.

And then it came to me, he is actually the Brandon Ellis insurance if he walks via free agency. We need Brando to be that link player and take the game on, at the moment he is going backwards. Look at Pickett's highlights, he can be that guy between the arcs.

We take Pickett, get him ready for the role in 2020, take the salary cap relief from not signing Brando on 600k and use the extra comp draft pick to get another quality kid.

Works for me.

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
Good thinking Scoop.

Win/Win/Win:A hard as nails replacement for Bobble,(who I do have a soft spot for),a 2nd round draft pick we can use to buy a KPP or a Ruck or an Inside Mid,plus Salary Cap relief.

Think we’re all going to get excited when our version of “Byron”,AKA Snarlin Marlion strips in the Yellow & Black.