Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
The only thing us supporters are not privy to is what Marlion is doing at training. If he is showcasing his skills and impressing the MC and his team mates at training then maybe he gets a gig with the expectation that he will bring them at the highest level.

If so then try him in the next two weeks and find out one way or the other.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
We are not drafting Marlion at the age of 18 as Andrew Macleod was, we have drafted Marlion at the age of 27.

At this age Macleod was averaging 23 possesions.

Three VFL listed players had more possessions than Marlion

If we have lowered the bar for senior selection to glimpses of quality then Marlion should join the queue along with Balta, Menadue, Naish and Markov.

The coaching staff saw something in Sydney Stack just the same way they see something in Marlion Pickett but it seems strange that so many supporters don't trust the coaches or the club any more???

15 possessions is a good haul considering he played HALF BACK when the ball was up the other end of the ground the whole first half!

He still managed to creep up the ground and get possessions including some beautiful in and unders that lead directly to goals. Did you not see the first goal he set up from the wing???

If your only argument is he only had 15 possessions then you need to watch the game again. He HURTS the opposition.

From memory I think Stackie only had 12 VFL possessions before he was promoted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
The coaching staff saw something in Sydney Stack just the same way they see something in Marlion Pickett but it seems strange that so many supporters don't trust the coaches or the club any more???

15 possessions is a good haul considering he played HALF BACK when the ball was up the other end of the ground the whole first half!

He still managed to creep up the ground and get possessions including some beautiful in and unders that lead directly to goals. Did you not see the first goal he set up from the wing???

If your only argument is he only had 15 possessions then you need to watch the game again. He HURTS the opposition.

From memory I think Stackie only had 12 VFL possessions before he was promoted.
So Garthwaite's game was even better as he had more possessions from the back line.

I believe that you will find that Marlion also spent time in the middle as well.

Reactions: 1 user

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Yanb, you are fixated on his possession count. Garthwaite lol

I look at someone like Aarts and he had a great game, kudos to him. Same with Garthwaite, good on him but their games don't stack up when transferred up a level.

Pickett caused chains that lead to goals. His fast twitch is as good as a Lambert, Rioli or Cotch. He extracts the ball to an outside advantage. He has done that several times over the last 2 weeks. THIS TRANSLATES!

Pickett played midfield 10 mins in the 3rd quarter and was there for the whole 4th.

You can keep pushing the "but he only had 15 possessions argument" but it just doesnt wash with me - or the club - thankfully.

Find out how many possessions Stack had when he played his VFL this year (I can't be fagged) but I do remember being very underwhelmed. He looked very casual yet when he came up a grade it transpired into AFL quality.

I just don't get the wheelbarrow you push about NUMBER of possessions?

I was skeptical and in your position before I went to see his first game but I could see what all my mates in Freo (I'm from WA) were talking about.

I'm bullish because I'm not happy with Short or BEllis. I think they are weak links and in Pickett I see a quality Plug n Play because he adds starch and can play anywhere on the field.

I agree that Towno would be a good in too. Surely both of them would be better than watching players run past Short's outstretched arms every week!

Reactions: 8 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Pickett was buried in the backline last week first half and almost froze to death. came down there like twice.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Yanb, you are fixated on his possession count. Garthwaite lol

I look at someone like Aarts and he had a great game, kudos to him. Same with Garthwaite, good on him but their games don't stack up when transferred up a level.

Pickett caused chains that lead to goals. His fast twitch is as good as a Lambert, Rioli or Cotch. He extracts the ball to an outside advantage. He has done that several times over the last 2 weeks. THIS TRANSLATES!

Pickett played midfield 10 mins in the 3rd quarter and was there for the whole 4th.

You can keep pushing the "but he only had 15 possessions argument" but it just doesnt wash with me - or the club - thankfully.

Find out how many possessions Stack had when he played his VFL this year (I can't be fagged) but I do remember being very underwhelmed. He looked very casual yet when he came up a grade it transpired into AFL quality.

You should post here more Hans.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Pickett has a good ressies game this weekend there's still a game against Brisvegas next week to get a senior look at him. Three games of match conditioning in the ressies to allow Marlion to get some form, touch n understanding of the way we play the game plus a transition to seniors should be enough lead up for an experienced senior player.
Thankfully we have our ressies playing finals again as well, so all our back up players will be fully in campaign mode throughout the finals, rather than just having a squad of 26 / 27 players where the last few blokes are just hovering n hoping to somehow keep game touch on the off chance a vacancy opens up.

BiddiscombeSkills

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2005
Pretty underwhelming. Don’t see how he breaks into the senior team from what he’s showing in the 2nds

Reactions: 1 user

Phar Ace

"PRE just banned my biggest fan!"
Jun 17, 2004
Queensland
His game today was so-so, couple of handy things but nothing to give Dimma that warm feeling in his loins. Any call up against Brizzy would be on trust......

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The expectations on Pickett seem too high to me. A good player in a comp a couple of levels below AFL, overlooked by mnay for years including us but now seems to be put on a pedestal as some sort of football messiah.

Reactions: 2 users