Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Looking in very good nick considering it's his first pre-season :)

But he’s been at the club a while now and only played one game as far as I can tell
Not great odds of success from that starting point

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003

AFL: Marlion Pickett’s best yet to come
Richmond’s grand final hero Marlion Pickett. Picture: Sarah Matray
Richmond’s grand final hero Marlion Pickett. Picture: Sarah Matray
  • By CHRIS CAVANAGH
  • 9:49PM FEBRUARY 12, 2020
Reigning Richmond best-and-fairest Dion Prestia believes “hugely talented” teammate Marlion Pickett only scratched the surface of what he is capable of last year and has grown significantly as a player over summer.
Pickett made a stunning debut in last year’s grand final with 22 disposals, three clearances and nine score involvements in the Tigers’ 89-point crushing of Greater Western Sydney. A mid-season draftee, the 28-year-old produced the performance a little more than four months after playing his last WAFL game for South Fremantle.
Prestia said Pickett had learnt plenty across his first AFL pre-season and there had been tangible signs of his improvement on the track. “I’d definitely be picking him in SuperCoach,” Prestia said from a shoot for Kayo Sports yesterday.
“He’s been absolutely amazing, really. Coming into the team halfway through last year and playing in the VFL and then the AFL premiership is pretty impressive. He hasn’t missed a beat all pre-season. He’s done every session and he’s looking pretty good. I can’t wait to see what he’ll produce this year having a full AFL pre-season under his belt.
“It’s pretty awesome for him to come into a midfield with (Trent) Cotchin, (Dustin) Martin, (Shane) Edwards where he doesn’t have to be the best player. He doesn’t have to stand out and make all the decisions. He can just be himself and play his normal game, which I think is going to be the best thing for Marlion.”

Prestia, who joined Richmond from Gold Coast at the end of 2016, said he knew from personal experience that it took time to adjust to a new club and a new system, adding that Pickett would benefit enormously from having had a full pre-season.
“It takes a while to get your head around the game plan and get to know our running patterns, how we defend and how we move the ball,” Prestia said.
“So for him to be able to do what he did on grand final day after only a couple of games with us was incredible. I know when I first came to Richmond it took me more than a couple of weeks to get used to that even after doing a full pre-season. Now he’s got a whole pre-season under his belt and I think that’s where he’ll get his improvement — knowing where to run and knowing the ball movement.”
Richmond meets Collingwood in its first game of the Marsh Community Series on Sunday, March 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
To win the flag and have Marlion, Stack, Ross, RCD, Higgins to come into the side is exciting.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
to land Stackman and Marlion for free in 1 season is beyond absurdly good fortune.

Marlion should be in contention for the Brownlow this year

and Stackman? well the sky is the limit.

What extraordinary times.

The benchmark of the competition, and we bolster our list with two sublime likely champions and grab a once-a-generation gigantic snakey prelim turning full forward.

It really is the best of times

edit: CCJ will emerge as the most exciting ruckman in the game this year too

the hatred of Richmond is going to be exponential as we win the next 3 flags to make it 5 in 6 years

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
To win the flag and have Marlion, Stack, Ross, RCD, Higgins to come into the side is exciting.
Was also about to add CCJ, Balta and whoever else bobs up throughout the season.... what I love is that it appears if you're prepared to do the work, at some point you'll be given the opportunity.
Not a 'problem' we've had in years gone by but who goes out @Harry :)

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL players are an interesting lot. After playing in a flag, I would find it very hard rocking up to pre-season and remain highly motivated. Pickett is an exception because he's only played 1 game and he's trying to forge a career. but someone like a Lynch who has reached the summit after 8 years at a *smile* club but is apparently destroying it at training. or a Riewoldt who has so many accolades now, has been well rewarded financially, and can retire happy and fulfilled. you have to admire how they can keep the motivation.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
AFL players are an interesting lot. After playing in a flag, I would find it very hard rocking up to pre-season and remain highly motivated. Pickett is an exception because he's only played 1 game and he's trying to forge a career. but someone like a Lynch who has reached the summit after 8 years at a **** club but is apparently destroying it at training. or a Riewoldt who has so many accolades now, has been well rewarded financially, and can retire happy and fulfilled. you have to admire how they can keep the motivation.

I understand that and it would apply to some.

But these blokes are professionals who only got there because of their mental and physical game and their competitiveness.

Most will be driven by fear of failure (even Emma Murray wont be able to keep that at bay - its the human condition, and exacerbated in the competitive elite IMO)

They will largely discount their success, and be driven by their shortcomings.

The blokes who think 'Ive done it, what's next?', which is 99% of us.

never made it, they are all running around in lower leagues.

its the 1% that separates them

These 1% will think and believe

'2 premierships isnt that good. its not enough. I want 3'

'Success' is a mirage, a rainbow, the little fibres that float around in your eyes sometimes.

Reactions: 2 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
AFL players are an interesting lot. After playing in a flag, I would find it very hard rocking up to pre-season and remain highly motivated. Pickett is an exception because he's only played 1 game and he's trying to forge a career. but someone like a Lynch who has reached the summit after 8 years at a **** club but is apparently destroying it at training. or a Riewoldt who has so many accolades now, has been well rewarded financially, and can retire happy and fulfilled. you have to admire how they can keep the motivation.
They're all accountable to each other. You wouldn't want to jib and then have to look your line buddies in the eye.

They're also competitive beasts by nature.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Back on Marlion.

He has an extra, tangible motivator. A whole stack of kids to feed, and not much time to feed 'em.

there wouldn't be a hungrier player in the game I wouldn't think,

despite how he presents

I hope he has a great manager accumulating endorsements etc,

he deserves that

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Can't wait to see Marlion, Stackman and Shai dance in the middle of the G together

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Hadn't really given it much thought until today's article but how good could a mature-age like Pickett get with an AFL-level pre-season under his belt? Getting a tad excited.

Reactions: 1 user