Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
I find it fascinating that supporters would donate but the club or his wealthier teammates haven't (Based on article being written), perhaps its as others suggested they cant based on rules?.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I'm writing to the club to see if there is anything in play to assist, and if not, whether they would support a member driven crowdfunding campaign.

I wrote too

I find it fascinating that supporters would donate but the club or his wealthier teammates haven't (Based on article being written), perhaps its as others suggested they cant based on rules?.

cash isn't dead yet

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
From the article:

Richmond's attempts to source money for Pickett have run into difficulties because earnings have to be independent of the club to avoid being counted in the club's salary cap.

Sounds like the club has it's hands tied...

Reactions: 1 user

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I've written to the club, but since they auto respond with - don't expect a response due to the volume of enquiries we get - it doesn't fill me with confidence!

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
He certainly wouldn't be allowed to accept a gofundme etc as it would be a breach of the salary cap.
It would be fantastic if a go fund me page was setup anyway just to spite the clowns at head office.

Given the AFL has bent over backwards to win the politically correct olympics in resent times, it would be fantastic to have them quivering in their boots over a potentially international story outlining how they saw fit to prevent much needed funds going to a worthy indigenous player who’s been hardest hit by these unprecedented events.

I’d also like to see which mouthpieces from opposition clubs would have the balls to say he shouldn’t get the funds also.

Or supporters just take turns pretending to be Uber Eats delivery people turning up to his place with brown bags full of ‘food’.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Geez, we're not the club, well we as members are owners of the club, but if we did a go fund me page and donated our money how can the AFL have anything to do with this?

I understand where Big Richo is coming from though. Set up a Go Fund Me page outside the club and get some big donations to attract a player and avoid the salary cap.

Apart from the fact that the pay cut should have had a lower limit, and those on a rookie salary should not have had their pay cut, surely they could set up a fund for everyone to donate to and it gets shared equally amongst all the rookie players who are now on very low incomes. You could even have some sort of sliding scale for dependents.

DS

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Our players need to all take a pay cut and allow this kid live a decent life.
He deserves it.
5k cut from 30 players gives him $150k

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
This is news we shouldn't be hearing.
We aren't Richmond of 1989.
Gale shouldn't allowed this get out.
If Pickett needs help, the club needs to help him.
The club would have enough funds to support him through this year and when Rance gets delisted, there should be enough to give him what he deserves.

Magic17

Tiger Cub
Sep 11, 2005
Victoria
Curious... How does a fundraiser that has nothing to do with club administrators impact the salary cap? As the article says;
“earnings have to be independent of the club to avoid being counted in the club's salary cap.
A gofundme campaign would be a good way for supporters to assist.

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
When you sign a playing contract you agree to give the AFL full transparency over your finances. Ken Wood essentially has power beyond even the ATO for AFL players and now officials, he can scrutinise bank accounts etc to look for any evidence of overpaying.

It's probably never happened before because AFL players don't generally need fundraisers but if football supporters donated a sum of money then it is most certainly going to be considered football related income and count in the cap.

Let me repeat though, I have no doubt the club will have made sure that Pickett and all of the other players that are financially vulnerable for whatever reason have been provided with what they need to get by.

This is a beat up.
Something awfully wrong here . How it got to this stage is extremely poor irrelevant what the AFL have done with slashing payments . . Club would know exactly the situation. In place there are Player Welfare structures set to ensure this doesn’t happen . Not the only player in difficult times at the club either . How can you possibly blame his manager is beyond belief .

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
A few things with this.

He certainly wouldn't be allowed to accept a gofundme etc as it would be a breach of the salary cap.

It's poor form this has been released. I suspect the club would be filthy. Seems like his manager's prints are on it, perhaps looking to get a marketing deal through.

I'm certain Richmond would be monitoring and maintaining the basic welfare needs of every player, but a player like Pickett especially.
Blaming his manager is a bit rich ‍♂️.

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Our players need to all take a pay cut and allow this kid live a decent life.
He deserves it.
5k cut from 30 players gives him $150k
Surely someone could of loaned him the money until match payments kicked in .
something not right here

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Ok, I have set up a GoFundMe account to raise money for Marlion and his family.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/premiers...dium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

The goal is $10,000. I have put in $100.

It says it can be done as a team fundraiser with a minimum five members. So if anyone would like to join me, send me a PM with your email and I will add you. The more the merrier to get the word to as many Richmond supporters as you can.

For those on other Richmond forums, it would be great if you could share the link. Please let me know if it doesn't work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Ok, I have set up a GoFundMe account to raise money for Marlion and his family.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/premiers...dium=copy_link&utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1

The goal is $10,000. I have put in $100.

It says it can be done as a team fundraiser with a minimum five members. So if anyone would like to join me, send me a PM with your email and I will add you. The more the merrier to get the word to as many Richmond supporters as you can.

For those on other Richmond forums, it would be great if you could share the link. Please let me know if it doesn't work.

good job TF17. great speil.

Ive emailed Benny seeking reassurance the RFC is taking care of Marlion and his family and made a couple of suggestions.

philosophically, I think it falls to the club and his teammates to see him right.

But if I dont get a response by next payday, I'll go over their head and join The Army with a hundred.

Reactions: 1 users