Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I wouldn’t be shocked if this is a strategic leak with Marlion aware of it.

No doubt he gets looked after in some capacity. A local restaurant will suddenly have meals delivered, a labouring job will pay more than it should. And if you don’t think Cotch is down the fox hole trying to find ways to help him, you don’t know the skip.

And Balmey is right, long term he’ll be fine. But here‘s the thing, this makes the journey Marlin has been on even more extraordinary. This will never be repeated, there will be poems, stories and movies made about this bloke.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I wouldn’t be shocked if this is a strategic leak with Marlion aware of it.

From all the interviews and puff pieces about Marlion, he doesn't strike me as the sort of bloke that would feel comfortable with a leak unless the Club were in on it.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
[
TF2017, Andy and Murph on drive home were discussing a supporter initiated Marlion GoFundMe page, (not sure if it was yours?), saying no way that money can or will make it's way to Marlion and it would be considered a rort.

doesnt take much to make it on the wireless does it?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Not just plausible. From the original piece in The Age

Wouldn't be surprised, I was on the lash in Northcote many moons ago and Leon Davis appeared with an entourage. He was in his twilight, maybe even his last year? Had some good chats (well drunken ramblings that may have made little sense to an impartial and sober observer). I didn't see anyone putting their hand in their pocket all night. Expensive tab I'd reckon. What I found funny was how contrasted the behaviour of some of the entourage (especially the women) was with Leon's own demeanour. He was quiet and reserved and may not have been drinking at all. He took himself off to a quiet corner with one or two people while me and my new best mates had very deep and meaningful conversations about family and culture. Fun night but I've always remembered feeling an empathetic weariness for Davis.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
There’s a couple of very important questions I would like answered about this

1 why was a premiership star not put on the main list and a decent contract at the end of 19? It looked like a struggle in the Australian story piece when he was on full rookie wages. How could the club be blind to this? We have a few still on the main list who could have made way and been re rookied or not picked up on the main list in the 19 draft. Seems like a massive oversight by the club.

2 I would have thought Rance could have made way for Pickett when he retired. Without knowing anything about rance’s pay rates, I’d guess he could easily make way for a fair deal for Marlion. Why not?

as I said l, I don’t claim to have any knowledge of what’s going on but think this situation never needed to happen if there was a little more foresight. I am with those who criticise the aflpa as well. They seemed to have been protected the rights of the big boys to be privileged rather than considering the welfare of all. A symptom of money sickness I recon aka ‘protect my stuff and get more!’

Reactions: 1 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Yeah, as I mentioned, great way to avoid the salary cap, GoFundMe as a virtual brown paper bag.

It really is a difficult one if fans can't raise funds independent of the club.

I was thinking it is a beat up and that Marlion would be taken care of.

But the real issue here is that the AFLPA f***ed up and should have protected the income of those on rookie wages.

DS
With Patrick "Me me me" Dangerfield at the helm, i doubt minnows like Pickett would have been high on his agenda.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Richmond star Marlion Pickett to tell all in new book

Richmond premiership star Marlion Pickett will tell the story behind his Grand Final fairytale, having signed a book deal for his life story.

Pickett became headline news last year when he made his AFL debut for Richmond in the Grand Final six days after being best on ground in the club’s VFL Grand Final win.

For Pickett, a father of four, that week of glory had been years in the making as he suffered injuries, a tragic death in the family and rebuilt his life after time in jail.

“I couldn’t change my past but I could change me.

“Family is the most important thing to me, and football gave me a second family,” said Pickett.

The book, titled Belief, will be released by Simon & Schuster in November.

- - - - -

After going public with his COVID-19 financial struggles, this is a creative solution. Certainly I'll be buying it, and I think there's a level of interest that extends beyond Richmond supporters.

Reactions: 5 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Had a quieter less obtrusive season opener as opposed to his debut from 100k to 0 what a weird situation for him.

Hope he has a good one tomorrow night.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Still learning. Not ideal game for his type. Tried bumping instead of tackling too often. Absolute shocker letting Philips stroll into open dribble.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Oh My God, Pickett wasn't a superstar tonight!!! the sky is falling the sky is falling...

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Didn’t do a huge amount tonight, far from Robinson Crusoe there, though. Some of his work, however, was very nice to watch. Like many others, he’ll become better and more influential as he gains touch and match fitness.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Marlion won some very good touches tonight and some classy touches.

He can win the ball well, just needs to polish up his disposal.

Did put on one or two nice body checks (bumps) also.

rinso17

Tiger Superstar
Feb 2, 2005
Marlion won some very good touches tonight and some classy touches.

He can win the ball well, just needs to polish up his disposal.

Did put on one or two nice body checks (bumps) also.
Nope... Was ordinary against Carlton and very ordinary tonite

Out ;Pickett, Stack, Soldo
In; Ross, Caddy, Nankervis