Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

Daigoro

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 20, 2004
had a nervous start but played really well after quarter time...not sure what the fuss is about

Reactions: 4 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Geelong like to move the ball around and are most damaging with time and space

Marlion and Kmac will ensure they don't get much of it.

Reactions: 1 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I agree..... Marlion isn't a squib.

I was there.
That side of the ground and witnessed first hand live the ‘courage’.
Again, I reckon it’s a technique thing. Maybe he is anticipating a ‘hit’ to the head? I don’t know what I’m saying. But to doubt his courage! Not sure about that.

We will see Saturday night I guess cause it’s doing the rounds especially amongst ex AFL players.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Seeing I start the squib comments it's best I address the furore instead of hiding behind TBR.

He looked nervous when he had to wait for a ball. Whether it's fear, nervousness, being unsure, too conscious of what to do next, I don't know but it was definitely there. It didn't make any sense because someone that plays like he does, and has been through what he has, couldn't be like that and get as far as he has.

I don't know if it's a throw back to prison footy where players in prone positions like that would get probably get smacked in ways we haven't seen since the 70s. Or is it because the speed of the game means he's been caught a few times this season and is now not as confident as he was. Or was it simply the high pressure tough game in a do or die final where everything was on the line and as a 19 gamer it affected his decision making at times. Or a combo of all of them.

But it was there. Things changed in the second half when we got on top of Port, it wasn't there or as noticeable. Unlike the esteemed contrarian, there's no way we should drop Pickett for the Grand Final. He's earned his spot.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
He probably will, toughness at the player isn't his issue, it's holding his nerve when the ball is sat on his head.

It's happened two or three times this year and happened again on Friday. Had it been 40 metres out with 90 seconds to go instead of early first quarter on centre wing then we could easily be the side taking consolation medicine tonight.

I'm not hanging him for it or suggesting anything more than he needs to steel himself to tidy it up, but it's a concern.

if there was a mark to be taken 40m out with 90 seconds to go,

Marlion would grab it if he was outnumbered 1:5 and he was 20m out of position.

there must be a parallel universe here?

did you not see his mark in the VFL where he nearly killed CCJ front on?

how could anyone who saw that question his courage. How?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
if there was a mark to be taken 40m out with 90 seconds to go,

Marlion would grab it if he was outnumbered 1:5 and he was 20m out of position.

there must be a parallel universe here?

did you not see his mark in the VFL where he nearly killed CCJ front on?

how could anyone who saw that question his courage. How?

I'm talking about last Friday, not last year.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Although there would be a weird inverse symmetry with 2019 if Marlion was dropped for the GF after playing nearly every game this season, I can't see Dimma trolling him that hard

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I was there.
Again, I reckon it’s a technique thing. Maybe he is anticipating a ‘hit’ to the head? I don’t know what I’m saying. But to doubt his courage! Not sure about that.

We will see Saturday night I guess cause it’s doing the rounds especially amongst ex AFL players.
I had forgotten THAT MARK!
Thanks waiting!

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I'm talking about last Friday, not last year.

so, rather than the match winning performances in the 2019 VFl prelim and GF,

and the 2019 AFL GF

you're questioning his courage and skill

on the basis of his match winning performance in the 2020 preliminary final?

oh, I get it.

so your contemporarily, as well as historically wrong.

sweet. logical

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
heh, this irrational defence of everything a player does, not matter what's said, reminds me of your campaign against the Ty Vickery knockers.

His attack on ball and player isn't in question. You're the only one that's bought up skill as an issue.

Waiting nailed the difference. It's when he finds himself in a situation where he's not all out attacking but having to wait for a ball to come to him that he seems to lose confidence.

It was there on Friday. Noticeable in the 1st half.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
heh, this irrational defence of everything a player does, not matter what's said, reminds me of your campaign against the Ty Vickery knockers.

His attack on ball and player isn't in question. You're the only one that's bought up skill as an issue.

Waiting nailed the difference. It's when he finds himself in a situation where he's not all out attacking but having to wait for a ball to come to him that he seems to lose confidence.

It was there on Friday. Noticeable in the 1st half.

k

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Again, I'm not for a moment suggesting he be dropped. I'm not really questioning his courage or hardness either.

There is just a curious situation where at least three time this year (one at the MCG early on that was highlighted in the media, one on Friday and another earlier in the season at the Gabba I think) he has stood under the ball and for whatever reason given a poor effort.

I'm sure it would have been addressed with him before and I'm sure it will be highlighted to him in his review this week.

I just hope he can overcome whatever it is and not have it happen on Saturday, I'd hate to see it in an important moment in a Grand Final.

I understand your POV,

but its makes as much sense as me saying

'I really hope Dusty doesn't scrub any kicks on Saturday night'

which is; perfect sense and nonsense

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
I thought Marlion was attempting to play dry weather footy in the first quarter on Friday night; his hands were too soft when trying to pick up the slippery ground ball.
He adapted as the first half went on, and after being optimally re-programmed at half time, had a good second half.
I did lose it temporarily when he paddled the ball back in on Port's HF line in Q1, when the situation screamed for him to take it over the line.
But while he is a mature player, he's a relative novice at the level, so naturally a few learnings to be had along the way.
But he is getting up and down the ground really well and the diesel motor is running out games well.
His tackles certainly stick and his big upside is better hitting up targets,
I did very much like the drive-by on Travis Boak, who was yet another Port player (Hartlett, Rozee) to go to ground holding his head in his hands when he appeared to get shoulder contact.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
On a number of occasions in Q1 he braced for impact that never came. Must be totally focussed on the footy. Improved immensely as the game progressed but needs to be totally focussed from the 1st bounce in the GF.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I was there.

Good post. Yeh that mark is one of the craziest brave things you will see on a football field. Think you are spot on about technique and Baloo may have a point about Marlion anticipating brutal contact when sitting under a ball. I think most players "brace" them selves in a way when they are stationary and waiting under a ball - not many take them cleanly. I don't think anyone can really doubt his courage/toughness etc.

FWIW I go through this constant love/not love thing with Marlion. But he was instrumental/key in our last half and especially last quarter. He was huge. There is no way he will be dropped nor would it even be discussed IMO. He and Kmac were massive in the last quarter and in a demanding, physically exhausting game will be key again when the whips are cracking. Perhaps even more important this year than any other. If the forecast rain comes their importance will be even greater.