Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I must say though, he isn't a ruckman. Lets stop that farce.

The idea he can do a Grigg is fanciful, and fails to recognise the footy intelligence of Grigg to be able to do what he did.

Marlion is a good player with a great leap, but he isn't able to impact things like Grigg after the initial tap. That, I believe, is because Grigg didn't really commit to the ruck contest, only doing the bare minimum to keep the opposition ruckman honest.

Marlion over commits in the ruck trying to win it, and so is not there when the ball hits the ground like Grigg was.
The Marlion ruck thing reminds me of when Dimma had success in turning Jake King from au undersized defender into a small forward then tried to do the same thing with Steve Morris. It looks like he’s trying to make Marlion into the new Shaun Grigg.

Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Cant believe he was in the ruck in the last quarter when we got back in front. Not just once but twice. In saying that, we didn't do too badly and Marlion got involved

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Cant believe he was in the ruck in the last quarter when we got back in front. Not just once but twice. In saying that, we didn't do too badly and Marlion got involved
If you’re judging him on centre bounce tap outs, you’d be right. Not a ruckman’s sarse.
But what you have then got is an extra on baller around the ground. To evaluate his effectiveness, you’d have to collect data on his possessions and where he gets them whilst playing on ball as another ruck rover. Whilst the oppositions ruckman would only really be damaging if he took marks deep forward or deep in defence

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
If you’re judging him on centre bounce tap outs, you’d be right. Not a ruckman’s sarse.
But what you have then got is an extra on baller around the ground. To evaluate his effectiveness, you’d have to collect data on his possessions and where he gets them whilst playing on ball as another ruck rover. Whilst the oppositions ruckman would only really be damaging if he took marks deep forward or deep in defence
Which did happen on a couple of occasions, and it was pointed out how that can affect the team.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If it was a grand final, and tigers were down by a point in the last quarter,

and Marlion went into the ruck,

you'de be absolutely terrified. you're probably quietly ask rhetorical questions of Hardwick, laden with some unacceptable language.

But then Marlion would probably do something small and heroic, Nankervis would come back on fresh, and take a match winning mark, and youde be googling nearest, smallest bottle-shop without security guards near me.

Its a a kind of coaching sadism.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
How many blokes has this guy seriously (but legitimately) ended their day early already?

I feel like it’s two this year and at least one last year. You could argue this has made a huge difference in the game outcome too as I think he has generally hurt quality. Anyone keep these stats?

Reactions: 3 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Would love to know the clearance stats when Pickett is in the ruck? @LeeToRainesToRoach
My biggest concern is he gets dragged deep into defence which allows bush footballers like Phllips to take marks and kick goals.

Reactions: 2 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Best spot is on the wing.

Marlion and KMac running our wings. Lots of kms between them and lots of bruises handed out.

Reactions: 9 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Does a lot of things that get unnoticed. I like him in the side.
Watching the last qtr again last night, there was a passage of play where Shedda had the ball hard on the boundary left forward flank with Kyle Langford ready to pounce. Flying across the screen came Marlion right across Langfords path. No contact was made but Langford instantly lost interest as probably had a "WTF was that" moment.
No stats for Marlion but his team mates love that stuff.

Reactions: 9 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Agree he is no 2nd ruck. But I like how he stays in the contest straight after the tap work. His 2nd efforts in there are pretty good.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Watching the last qtr again last night, there was a passage of play where Shedda had the ball hard on the boundary left forward flank with Kyle Langford ready to pounce. Flying across the screen came Marlion right across Langfords path. No contact was made but Langford instantly lost interest as probably had a "WTF was that" moment.
No stats for Marlion but his team mates love that stuff.

Yeah, I really like seeing that sort of play. Given the congestion and pressure of the modern game and the importance of finding enough space to get an unpressured disposal, I don't know why there isn't more shepherding. I know players are positioning to be the option to receive the ball but sometimes the right play is to shepherd and protect the ball carrier.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Agree. Also, Pickett may still be in a position to provide some relief ruck duties if required
I'm not a fan of Marlion rucking. Prefer a proper second ruck.

Case of break glass in case of emergency, such as losing a ruck to injury mid game.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
Can’t underestimate the hurt factor marlion applies. I am sure there will be a lot of oppo players worried when he is in their vicinity.

Like Byron, but less obvious.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
I don't know why there isn't more shepherding. I know players are positioning to be the option to receive the ball but sometimes the right play is to shepherd and protect the ball carrier.

DS
Bring on the Flying V !

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
My match committee now has Pickett out of the side now when everyone is available.

I don't think the RFC match committee agrees, but it is a sign of how much talent we have available.
I’d have him in, but on a bit of a week to week review, but interested to know why you’d have him out.