Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
he's in my greatest ever list ...

i have very rarely seen a footballer move like him

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Small forwards tend to go missing for parts of games, it is not a position for accumulating possessions. It is a position where you get a few opportunities and if you can get a couple of goals and goal assists then you have had a good game.

I feel sad he can't do the hip and shoulder any more, the way the game is going he has had to play against his nature. But he is such a valuable player he should get to 100 games on his own merit, nevermind the possibility his kids could be good and the father/son rule.

DS

Reactions: 6 users

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
he's in my greatest ever list ...

i have very rarely seen a footballer move like him
I was worried after last week. Looked lost out there. That's a difficult spot especially in our side as it is a very defensive game. Not much reward for effort if you can't hit the scoreboard. Looked much better this week.

And also, yes. Moves like a cat does Marlion. Slides across the ground. His hip-and-shoulders are devastating precisely because his movement is so efficient, he transfers the energy right through the frame of his opponent. It's poetry. Violent, eloquent, pugilistic poetry. Full contact Parcours.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
I was worried after last week. Looked lost out there. That's a difficult spot especially in our side as it is a very defensive game. Not much reward for effort if you can't hit the scoreboard. Looked much better this week.

And also, yes. Moves like a cat does Marlion. Slides across the ground. His hip-and-shoulders are devastating precisely because his movement is so efficient, he transfers the energy right through the frame of his opponent. It's poetry. Violent, eloquent, pugilistic poetry. Full contact Parcours.
I agree KR, but when he got done for that perfect hip and shoulder on the Hawthorn dude that got up straight away you knew the AFL politburo wanted to muffle his hard hitting style. Unfortunately it has stopped him playing to his instincts. IMO he is just hard at it and not looking for cheap shots unlike that Pickett at Melbourne.
I’d love to see him be the man more often and take his opportunities. At times he seems to be apologetic with his choice of disposals (thanks for giving me this opportunity RFC, I will make all my teammates look better).

Reactions: 2 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Wonderful player. He knows his job, works to this without much fuss. Great example to his family, friends and respectful onlookers.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Marlion's natural game has had to be modified because of the constant interference by the AFL's MRO idiocy.

Reactions: 7 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Wonderful player. He knows his job, works to this without much fuss. Great example to his family, friends and respectful onlookers.
I don't think he gets enough credit for the trunaround in his life. To be where he is now from where he was is pretty incredible. It's a great story. And a credit to the RFC for giving him the opportunity. I really hope we keep him around after his playing days are over. (unless he prefers to head back to the west of course)

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Leon Cameron Pickett
Hopefully he can teach Flappers how kick a ball.
Where was this exhibition of field kicking 80 games ago??

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Not sure Cumberland couldn’t offer more in the same role , no doubt Pickett is busting his balls forward , however he’s invisible for a lot of the games since he’s gone forward , much rather Marlion on a wing

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Better defensive game this week, didn't see him fly for one mark, which to me is a positive. If games were judged on last 5 minutes of the game, he'd be winning the Brownlow.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Reckon Jack is enjoying having Marlion down there with him. While Marlion isn't being used a lot, he has good aerial ability and has to be closely watched.
It's freed Jack up a bit and allowed Jack to get off the chain the last couple of weeks, should've kicked 4 last night after slotting 5 the week before.

Reactions: 5 users

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
Reckon Jack is enjoying having Marlion down there with him. While Marlion isn't being used a lot, he has good aerial ability and has to be closely watched.
It's freed Jack up a bit and allowed Jack to get off the chain the last couple of weeks, should've kicked 4 last night after slotting 5 the week before.
Spot on. They're getting their spacing better set up and Marlion's working harder to get front possie and bring the ball to ground. It does take a few weeks to learn a new role. He's picking it up well.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Pickett looks like he only pops up occasionally in games as a forward. But we need to consider what role he is playing. If he isn't getting the ball often but is opening up space in the forward line then he is doing a magnificent job. One of the issues a few of us have brought up over this season and the last couple of seasons is the way we never seem to be near the drop of the ball when it comes off a pack. This may be improving with not everyone going up for the mark, is Marlion having an impact on this? Does Jack have more space to lead with Marlion there?

It always takes time to adjust to a new role, and I have loved Marlion on the wing, but I suspect he is being asked to do very specific things to improve our forward set up and I'd like to see it at a live game because what you see on the TV is never enough.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
Not sure Cumberland couldn’t offer more in the same role , no doubt Pickett is busting his balls forward , however he’s invisible for a lot of the games since he’s gone forward , much rather Marlion on a wing
His time will come, need these responsible roles our players are playing until the injured players are back.