Welcome to the Tigers Mate Colina | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Mate Colina

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
I follow him on Instagram. been playing a lot of basketball & looks extremely fit. That said playing AFL footy is a lot different obviously.
Gotta be pretty fit to play basketball at a high level. I don't and still end curled up on the floor, gasping for oxygen, after a whole 4 minutes! :)

Reactions: 1 users

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
this would have to be the least year he juggles both. From pre season start - end of 2022, he would need to front up come Nov 1 if AFL is he choice.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
is he choosing basketball or football?

My read only, footy is his back-up plan if Basketball doesn't work out or maybe he has already worked out that he can't get where he wants in basketball?

Reactions: 1 user

KenM

Tiger Cub
Aug 3, 2021
As I understand it, Mate's in Hawaii finishing his degree and playing College basketball. The plan is he comes back in March 2022 and will then join the boys and try and earn a spot rucking. He is doing his fitness as part of his basketball plus a bit extra for his footy. Hence, he will not do this pre-season with us and will likely be a fair way back in his fitness and preparation in 2022.

I would say we might do with him what we did with Stacky. Not the same situation, but enough similarities to suggest that he will get a special program built just for him.

I would be surprised to see him press for senior selection in 2022, but will hopefully get some VFL football under his belt, build fitness and learn the Richmond systems. Hopefully he gets there because he seems to have the tools to be a good player. All we are really risking is a rookie spot.

Reactions: 1 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
My read only, footy is his back-up plan if Basketball doesn't work out or maybe he has already worked out that he can't get where he wants in basketball?
If he genuinely any good at basketball he would be playing pro somewhere around the world. He is using Hawaii to get his degree. Expect he will throw everything into footy.

Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
If he genuinely any good at basketball he would be playing pro somewhere around the world. He is using Hawaii to get his degree. Expect he will throw everything into footy.

If he's too unco to make it at basketball with his height, I can't see him being good at footy. Anyway, 4c a pound.