Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I find it amazing that given what the club has acheived in the past four years, 3 flags including making 4-5 rookie and PSD players into multiple premiership players, recruiting Nank/Caddy/Prestia, people still want *smile* and moan about Dan Butler going to St Kilda for minimum chips. FFS

I can understand the angst given how Butts has performed at StKilda.

Plus, he was injured in, what, 2018? Then still recovering I reckon in 2019.

But the reality is that he wasn't getting a game even though at his best he is a very good player. I can understand why he left, I also think Richmond looked at the situation and figured that he might get back in the team, he might find form again, but knew there were no guarantees. Hence Richmond thought it was good for Butler to get better opportunities elsewhere.

Given what he had produced in 2017 in a premiership team and that he wasn't right for a long time after an injury (foot wasn't it?) I reckon the compensation was a bit stiff but you sort of have to expect it given he wasn't getting a game, even though it was almost assured he would get plenty of games elsewhere.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Butts is a perfect fit at St Kilda. The club has allowed him to play to his strengths.

But the problem for them is, St Kilda are nowhere near Richmond in terms of winning a flag. And Butts was not in our best 22.

The Sainters have shown real glimpses this year, but I can see a few more false dawns for them before they might take the next step.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Butts is a perfect fit at St Kilda. The club has allowed him to play to his strengths.

But the problem for them is, St Kilda are nowhere near Richmond in terms of winning a flag. And Butts was not in our best 22.

The Sainters have shown real glimpses this year, but I can see a few more false dawns for them before they might take the next step.
Looking like Higgins to join Butler at the Saints , Hopefully we get a decent pick and not give them another hndout

Reactions: 1 user

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Watched replay last night.... that mark he took running back towards goal in last was crucial. Spills it and a cat pounces for an open goal. Game was still to be won at that time. If it had been Rance commentators would have been in raptures.

Reactions: 5 users

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Watched replay last night.... that mark he took running back towards goal in last was crucial. Spills it and a cat pounces for an open goal. Game was still to be won at that time. If it had been Rance commentators would have been in raptures.

Broad’s spoil on Ratugolea in the ‘19 prelim during Q2 is equally underrated.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
I can understand the angst given how Butts has performed at StKilda.

Plus, he was injured in, what, 2018? Then still recovering I reckon in 2019.

But the reality is that he wasn't getting a game even though at his best he is a very good player. I can understand why he left, I also think Richmond looked at the situation and figured that he might get back in the team, he might find form again, but knew there were no guarantees. Hence Richmond thought it was good for Butler to get better opportunities elsewhere.

Given what he had produced in 2017 in a premiership team and that he wasn't right for a long time after an injury (foot wasn't it?) I reckon the compensation was a bit stiff but you sort of have to expect it given he wasn't getting a game, even though it was almost assured he would get plenty of games elsewhere.

DS
It was a foot syndemosis injury from halfway through 2018 when he was flying - genuinely thought he’d gone to a new level & could push higher or into the midfield. Even in 2019, he was still struggling to recapture that form & who knows how the injury was affecting that. Looked a shadow of what he was in 2017 & 2018.

Not surprisingly he left for opportunity. The lesson out of it for me is let’s not do the same with Higgins. In his best 2018 form & with a full pre-season, he’d be best 22 ahead of Rioli for a start.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I find it amazing that given what the club has acheived in the past four years, 3 flags including making 4-5 rookie and PSD players into multiple premiership players, recruiting Nank/Caddy/Prestia, people still want *smile* and moan about Dan Butler going to St Kilda for minimum chips. FFS
Yep, we have to accept that we are going to lose good players. Comes with the territory

Glad one of them isn't Broady however. Very underrated footballer. He and Grimes play tall and small and that gives us incredible flexibility an example of which was that it enabled us to move Balta in the Grand final

Reactions: 4 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Had Butler stayed with us he still would have missed out. He wouldn't get a game ahead of rioli george lambo or shai in our best 22.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Yep, we have to accept that we are going to lose good players. Comes with the territory

Glad one of them isn't Broady however. Very underrated footballer. He and Grimes play tall and small and that gives us incredible flexibility an example of which was that it enabled us to move Balta in the Grand final
Yes players are going to leave for more opportunity if they are not getting a regular game; hard to do anything about it. But the key is to not give them away. If other clubs are going to get stronger by recruiting our fringe players then they need to pay a fair price. Just because you can't get a regular game in a team that has won 3 out of 4 flags and finished 3rd the other year doesn't mean you aren't a good player. We can't get a pick in the 50s or 60s for these types; that is massive unders.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yes players are going to leave for more opportunity if they are not getting a regular game; hard to do anything about it. But the key is to not give them away. If other clubs are going to get stronger by recruiting our fringe players then they need to pay a fair price. Just because you can't get a regular game in a team that has won 3 out of 4 flags and finished 3rd the other year doesn't mean you aren't a good player. We can't get a pick in the 50s or 60s for these types; that is massive unders.
I agree Ridley but the system conspires against us if the player is uncontracted. They can go to the PSD and we have late picks and that reduces our bargaining power.
We have however almost given away some players in recent times but with the exception of Butler none have done much. Conca has done ok but he was free agent.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I reckon he would have been ahead of Rioli.
Nah. Butler can't match Rioli's workrate. Aarts would also be ahead. What we demand from our small fwds is different to other teams.

Butler gets a game ahead of rioli and george at most other clubs but not at tigerland

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I agree Ridley but the system conspires against us if the player is uncontracted. They can go to the PSD and we have late picks and that reduces our bargaining power.
We have however almost given away some players in recent times but with the exception of Butler none have done much. Conca has done ok but he was free agent.
Yeah that's true; it does make it harder if they are uncontracted. But Higgins is contracted so if the Saints want him they need to pony up and pay a fair price. They'll be expecting to get him for a Butler bargain. If so they can *smile* off and Higgins can stay with us, work his arse off on improving his kicking and back himself to break into our best team.

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yeah that's true; it does make it harder if they are uncontracted. But Higgins is contracted so if the Saints want him they need to pony up and pay a fair price. They'll be expecting to get him for a Butler bargain. If so they can *smile* off and Higgins can stay with us, work his arse off on improving his kicking and back himself to break into our best team.
It will be interesting what we get for Higgins. As I recall St Kilda has our 2nd pick and we have theirs, maybe that pick? I can't see it being better than that to be honest
Lethlean said yesterday that he has no idea where the Higgins to the saints story came from and there have been no discussions which probably means they have just about finalised the deal ;)

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It will be interesting what we get for Higgins. As I recall St Kilda has our 2nd pick and we have theirs, maybe that pick? I can't see it being better than that to be honest
Lethlean said yesterday that he has no idea where the Higgins to the saints story came from and there have been no discussions which probably means they have just about finalised the deal ;)
Yeah I'd believe Donald Trump before I believe anything Lethlean says.

I'd rather keep Higgo than take pick 40 which is what their second pick will end up being after all the academy picks come into play. He's a first round draft pick who has been a regular in our first 22 for much of his 3 years at the club. He's played 43 out of a possible 70 games since he's been at the club and he missed much of last year due to his brain injury.

He is worth a lot more than pick 40. If the Saints don't think he is then they don't value him that highly and he can stay.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Thanks Broady, you are a true Richmond man. A 5 time Premiership player has got a nice ring to it........and then you can sign on for a couple more years.