Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
The current premier side less Ellis of course have shown they are a team unit that are all for one so have the right to be considered the round 1 team as at this early stage of pre season training we have no idea how things will progress. However, since Broad was part of the invincible defence of 2017 and 18 with Rance included there is no reason to state that he wont remain in the 2020 team when Rance returns

Reactions: 1 user

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Broad is one of the best role players in the AFL, mainly because the role he plays with us suits him down to the ground.

His role is to run all day and keep filling holes. He did this superbly in the 2017 GF, the only time I have got to see him play live for the Tigers. He doesn't need to win the footy, just make a contest if it comes his way. For his height he is a great gut runner who reads the play really well.

The only guy on our list at the moment who can play his role as well as he does is McIntosh, but he doesn't read the play anywhere near as well as Broad and isn't as strong in the contest. I don't see him getting dropped anytime soon, simply because there is no one else on the list who can play his role as well as he does. Well, maybe Rance and Grimesy, but then you are robbing them of the interceptor role.

Reactions: 4 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Broad is one of the best role players in the AFL, mainly because the role he plays with us suits him down to the ground.

His role is to run all day and keep filling holes. He did this superbly in the 2017 GF, the only time I have got to see him play live for the Tigers. He doesn't need to win the footy, just make a contest if it comes his way. For his height he is a great gut runner who reads the play really well.

The only guy on our list at the moment who can play his role as well as he does is McIntosh, but he doesn't read the play anywhere near as well as Broad and isn't as strong in the contest. I don't see him getting dropped anytime soon, simply because there is no one else on the list who can play his role as well as he does. Well, maybe Rance and Grimesy, but then you are robbing them of the interceptor role.
100 % spot on Streak

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

I think that's sort of the point though. Rance comes in, who goes out? It's most likely Broad because Rance and Grimesy can both play that role as well. The other option for out is Astbury but can Rance or Grimes play that role as well? If Stacky comes in and he plays back it's likely Short or Baker. Reality is you do get injuries so I believe there'll still be opportunities for those on the cusp missing out.

I doubt we'll be seeing McIntosh in the side again, too many have gone straight past him.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I think that's sort of the point though. Rance comes in, who goes out? It's most likely Broad because Rance and Grimesy can both play that role as well. The other option for out is Astbury but can Rance or Grimes play that role as well? If Stacky comes in and he plays back it's likely Short or Baker. Reality is you do get injuries so I believe there'll still be opportunities for those on the cusp missing out.

I doubt we'll be seeing McIntosh in the side again, too many have gone straight past him.

My point is though that you don't want Rance or Grimes playing that role. You want them hunting the ball and being the interceptor. Broad and Astbury allow them to do that.

Rance and Grimes can cover for Astbury, but it comes at a similar price. You lose the full impact of a key interceptor.

Personally I think Broad and Astbury are quite safe. Baker, Short and Houli, in no particular order, are in the gun IMO.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
My point is though that you don't want Rance or Grimes playing that role. You want them hunting the ball and being the interceptor. Broad and Astbury allow them to do that.

Rance and Grimes can cover for Astbury, but it comes at a similar price. You lose the full impact of a key interceptor.

Personally I think Broad and Astbury are quite safe. Baker, Short and Houli, in no particular order, are in the gun IMO.

I think Broad is in th gun for a Rance. You then have him, Grimes and Vlastuin all able to play the interceptor or lock down role. Baker and Short in the gun for someone like Stack or Edwards (goes back if a Ross comes in). Certainly a dilemma if players come in to the team round 1.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Broad stays. I think one of Baker or Short may find themselves playing some VFL footy early 2020, and will be absolutely stiff.

Reactions: 1 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Not sure Houli's position is in the gun. Except amongst the haters.

:)

Not a hater, love the guy, but he is very old by Tiger standards these days and he has a queue of alpha males looking to take his spot. If his form dips, might find himself playing VFL.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I think Broad is in th gun for a Rance. You then have him, Grimes and Vlastuin all able to play the interceptor or lock down role. Baker and Short in the gun for someone like Stack or Edwards (goes back if a Ross comes in). Certainly a dilemma if players come in to the team round 1.

Yep, can't fit 'em all. What a wonderful dilemma.

I just hope we don't lose a young gun in the process.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Baker could play forward? Dusty plays more mid.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few players rotate through the side on form or injury.

Pickett has had one great game, but he's not a mainstay yet. Shorty might be used as needed, Caddy found himself in the VFL for a stretch this year.

I don't think we need a best 22. We have the best 25, the rest works itself out week to week.

Reactions: 2 users

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
i think they will both play, given possible injuries, moving players around. I will see baker mid that fills the back line, shorty back filling wing.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Will be interesting to see what we do with Rance back - Broad has been a very good negator and has allowed Grimes to flourish.

I feel that Broad might be the unlucky one to make way. Gotta love our depth.