Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
With Rance coming back, I think we should drop Tom Stewart...................from the All -Australian team. Broad would get a game before him.

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Will be interesting to see what we do with Rance back - Broad has been a very good negator and has allowed Grimes to flourish.

I feel that Broad might be the unlucky one to make way. Gotta love our depth.

Why when hes played most of his games and in a Premiership with Rance in the same side.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
With Rance coming back, I think we should drop Tom Stewart...................from the All -Australian team. Broad would get a game before him.

Tom Stewart is the darling of the media fair dinkum, never forget that pivotal moment in 2017 Q/F when Dusty bossed him on the wing.

Reactions: 3 users

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Because the person that wrote the article is an imbecile and lazy journo.

Broad is not a straight swap for Rance.

Its like nobody outside of the club understands his role, journos especially, even a lot of Tigers fans still don't get it.

If they cared to look back to 2017 he played in a premiership with Rance, Dave Tigga, and Dylan.

In 2018 He played the whole season alongside Rance, Dave, Tigga and Dylan.

In round 1 2019, he played alongside Rance, Dave Tigga, and Dylan.

Media are imbeciles we play a 7 -8 man defence rotating Nathan plays small and tall which is key he covers all and has done so since he came into the side in 2017 and has been the reason why Rance and Vlastuin are able to play as intercept defenders.

Broad also as a point of difference has the best winning percentage of all players in the AFL for games played over 50 games in the comp.

Might be a reason behind it, he is a defensive key that goes unnoticed every week because he does the jobs that go unnoticed yet afford some luxuries to his higher profile team mates in the back half.

Had a good year punching above his weight in a few playing some very good games that went unnoticed ie slapping Hipwood two weeks in a row in round 23 and up in Bris in the Q/F, also shut down Himmelberg and others. Also has the ability to go onto a wing or even run as a defensive mid due to his pace and elite tank for example he tagged Whitfield for a quarter at the mcg when he was killing us and then returned to play out the game on Himmelberg., hence he is one of the Tigers most versatile units. Not many like him running around in the AFL.

One other thing is that he has played well or done his job in pretty much every final or in most big games.

Is in the best 22 is an understated and yet important cog in the machine and a reason he has 2 premiership medallions, and the RFC has two flags.

Is he a pretty footballer .......no.
Do fans flock to games to watch him play ......no
Does he make the odd clanger .....yes
Is he the most unassuming player that takes the field every week for the RFC ......... most likely.
Is he a Richmond Man .....yes
Is he effective ..... obviously yes.
His record on the MCG.
Played 33 - won 31.
2 losses v Collingwood.

how many dual premiership players at 54 games has the club had?

Reactions: 3 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Look forward to the round 1 selection to see how they piece it together ,

Ellis is the obvious out ,

There is stack and Graham as well to consider as ins

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
:)

Not a hater, love the guy, but he is very old by Tiger standards these days and he has a queue of alpha males looking to take his spot. If his form dips, might find himself playing VFL.

Two years ago I thought Houli might've been retired by now, but to his credit he's playing as well as ever. If there's any sign of premiership hangover then those who've relaxed need to take their turn in the 2's.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
:)

Not a hater, love the guy, but he is very old by Tiger standards these days and he has a queue of alpha males looking to take his spot. If his form dips, might find himself playing VFL.

Statistically had his significantly best season ever at 31yo. Injury is his greatest threat as otherwise I believe there are other backs in the gun before Houli.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
His record on the MCG.
Played 33 - won 31.
2 losses v Collingwood.

how many dual premiership players at 54 games has the club had?
Merv Keane game 48 in 74 GF his second flag...hope Broad and us don't wait 6 years for his third. 39W-9 L
May not be only one but he was a suspect in my mind so looked up his career record.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Merv Keane game 48 in 74 GF his second flag...hope Broad and us don't wait 6 years for his third. 39W-9 L
May not be only one but he was a suspect in my mind so looked up his career record.
Bones McGhie 40 games for Tigers (he only had played 37 in 4 for the dogs was so no star until Tommy made him into one)
Wayne Walsh in his 60th plus 72GF. (But he had 4 years at Lake Oval after his first at Punt Rd)
Bryan Wood 65th but also played in 72GF)

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Barry Richardson his 53 Rd game for his 2nd flag. (Only played Rd 1 in 73 didn't come back until end of 74...played last two rounds 2finals (17 goals) and retired after his 3rd flag.
Royce Hart 55 games
St Francis 56
Mike Green 57
John Ronaldson 43 in his 5th season .only played 16 more the next year and it was all over.
Leader in clubhouse Graham Burgin...37 games ...also his 5th season...but only came into team in last round of 69, then 3 finals.

E&OE. Reckon 32/34 and 20/21 would throw up even lower examples but don't have the detailed data on AFL tables .com that far back.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Options for round 1

out : Brandon
In: Rance graham mcintosh stacky Ross

I reckon my givens so far would be, Stacky takes shorts spot, Graham takes Picketts spot, Picket takes Brandons spot. How do we put Rance in without dropping Broad?

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I reckon my givens so far would be, Stacky takes shorts spot, Graham takes Picketts spot, Picket takes Brandons spot. How do we put Rance in without dropping Broad?

Baker will be out before Broad

Baker will also be out before Shorty

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I reckon Baker offers heaps more than shorty. But your right the selection committee seem to love him.

Interesting, I am a bit line ball on who goes out between Baker and Broady, reckon it will be opposition based, Bake's looked very vulnerable at times down back during finals, I do value the work Broady does Taz, (really I do ;) ), I just can't shake the disposal faux pas.

Think the match committee will go Shorty not because he is the superior player but because of the balance they want down back.

If they play Stackman down back then the magnets are in the air again.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
It is all about balance. Baker was exposed at times but he was also significant in absorbing pressure and counterattack. Considering he was just settling into the position he also has upside.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
2 premierships in three years and we can’t even easily select our best 22 given our depth - can you believe it.

We might be the first team to seriously rotate our players during the first 12 to 14 games to give everyone a go (the other alternative which I hope doesn’t happen is we are faced and stretched with injuries like last year which could happen).

We seem to like playing a large proportion of our squad during the H&A

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

just can't shake the disposal faux pas.

Yep its been very costly, that clanger or two , he kills us every week

You're just a hater ;) ;);)

Just admit it man and you'll feel a lot better ha ha ha ha.

Keep up the good work with the reports. cheers.

Last edited:

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Baker will be out before Broad

Baker will also be out before Shorty

And Stacky in form and fit would likely be in before Baker but its all dependent on injuries and matchups.

There will be an injury or two that wont make it to round 1 there always is one or two.

Graham might not be ready post reconstruction of his shoulder and they will be most likely be managing the likes of Houli, Cotch, and Nank through pre season .

Last edited: