Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Broady slipping out of the team feels a bit like where McIntosh was last season.
Wasn't playing bad footy necessarily but has been surpassed by others or at least pushed out by an evolving gameplan.
It's quite something to have a 2 x premiership defender unable to establish his position. Must be frustrating for him.

Yeah I think its gameplan based more so than one is better than the other ,

They want Markovs wheels ATM

Next year if they were both at the club, it might be looked at differently

Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
kind of saying something when a footballer like Broadster can't get in the team

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
The run and carry where jack tapped it to lynch who missed a sitter is why the mc want oleg ahead of broad

We are after quick transition from our backline - think we are 2nd or 3rd for goals from the back half
I think this is a clue Harry.
Maybe it relates to a response to the earlier flooding and getting quicker ball movement from our D50?

That said, the top teams generally don't flood. They just trust their systems. Too bad for them because our system is superior.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It would seem he is leaving, but I can't see our club holding that against him. Reckon he was in career best form in the first half of the season.
Yeah it's quite weird how he's found himself out of the side. He was in great form in the first half of the season and I don't think he'd dropped off that much when he first got dropped.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Might depend on list sizes and if we win a flag as to where he ends up in ‘21. Win a 3rd flag and you couldn’t help think he’s off for a longer contract on the coast.

Read the other day that List sizes are now tipped to be 38/2/2 , 38 on the main, 2 rookies and 2 Cat B rookies (Although I don’t see how there’s 36 Cat B rookies out there. Unless I’m misunderstanding.)

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Might depend on list sizes and if we win a flag as to where he ends up in ‘21. Win a 3rd flag and you couldn’t help think he’s off for a longer contract on the coast.

Read the other day that List sizes are now tipped to be 38/2/2 , 38 on the main, 2 rookies and 2 Cat B rookies (Although I don’t see how there’s 36 Cat B rookies out there. Unless I’m misunderstanding.)
would be a combo as it is now 4 & 0 Cat B, or 3 & 1 Cat B or 2 & 2 Cat B

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We haven't got an issue reducing our list. We have 5-6 blokes that don't look like they will be any good.
Naish, Miller, English, Turner, Cathwaite, and these 4 Eggy, Higgins, Cj & Stack who knows??

Best case scenario would be 35 on main list 5 rookies.
42 was way too much.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
We haven't got an issue reducing our list. We have 5-6 blokes that don't look like they will be any good.
Naish, Miller, English, Turner, Cathwaite, and these 4 Eggy, Higgins, Cj & Stack who knows??

Best case scenario would be 35 on main list 5 rookies.
42 was way too much.

To be fair Turner is rated highly and I think Miller to has come on a bit this year.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
The run and carry where jack tapped it to lynch who missed a sitter is why the mc want oleg ahead of broad

We are after quick transition from our backline - think we are 2nd or 3rd for goals from the back half
That's it.
We're doubling down on speed out of our defensive half.
With Astbury ready for some minutes alongside Grimes / Vlaustin / Balta, appears the match committee are prioritising run and carry (Short, Baker, Houli, Markov) ahead of Broad's superior defensive efforts.
We will probably continue to get beaten out of the centre, but our ability to win the ball back in their half and then run it out is working very well at present.
That's the enhanced model we are taking into the finals.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
People do know that Broad is not slow hes also one of the quickest at the club, and also one of the best aerobic athletes.

Been treated harshly imo has Broad considering his good form this year.

Oleg is quicker off the mark and faster over the first 10 than most and whilst handy it makes Oleg look flashy and damaging but his output in ball winning has been no demolition of Broads.

Heres a comparison, and lets not forget that Broad plays more as a stopper than attacker and he still has same output as Markov in ball winning.

Broad unlike Markov also plays Tall and KP a lot of the time and did so in the games he and Markov both played in the same side.

Oleg Im assuming gets many more metres gained no doubt running as a free off half back and his burst of pace is helpful; to break congestion running the ball hence his inclusion for it to combat flooding but Broady never got the opportunity to play that type of role, and it is more unlikely than likely that the Tigers will face any flooding unless we meet the Maggots or possibly the Saints in the Finals.

Here's their averages this year.

Avg Disposals - BROAD 11 .MARKOV - 12

Disposal Eff - BROAD 83% MARKOV 70%

Kicks - BROAD 8 MARKOV 8

Marks - BROAD 4 MARKOV 3

H'balls - BROAD 3 MARKOV 4

Tackles - BROAD 2 MARKOV 1

I 50 - BROAD 1 MARKOV 2

R 50 - BROAD 3 MARKOV 2

Clangers - BROAD 1 MARKOV 1

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I prefer him to Markov, but obviously the coaching don't. I remember listening to a podcast (probably Richmond Tiger Talk) that mentioned he had been worse in 1 on 1 contests than Short. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I like him, but if someone offers him a bigger contract and a decent pick (Gold Coast's second? We can dream) we should let him walk without a second thought.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I just think many are selling his value short, and have been too willing to throw a 2 time premiership defender who has been very important to the system in the bin.

Dave will be finished soon and we have NO other up and coming key defenders, Garth is too small and not good enough, Miller is a bust and Biggy is 5 years away if he even gets anywhere near it.

Noah is it and he's no longer the future he is now IT on field.

We don't have the tall defensive stocks to just let Broad walk imo.

Reactions: 6 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
People do know that Broad is not slow hes also one of the quickest at the club, and also one of the best aerobic athletes.

Been treated harshly imo has Broad considering his good form this year.

Oleg is quicker off the mark and faster over the first 10 than most and whilst handy it makes Oleg look flashy and damaging but his output in ball winning has been no demolition of Broads.

Heres a comparison, and lets not forget that Broad plays more as a stopper than attacker and he still has same output as Markov in ball winning.

Broad unlike Markov also plays Tall and KP a lot of the time and did so in the games he and Markov both played in the same side.

Oleg Im assuming gets many more metres gained no doubt running as a free off half back and his burst of pace is helpful; to break congestion running the ball hence his inclusion for it to combat flooding but Broady never got the opportunity to play that type of role, and it is more unlikely than likely that the Tigers will face any flooding unless we meet the Maggots or possibly the Saints in the Finals.

Here's their averages this year.

Avg Disposals - BROAD 11 .MARKOV - 12

Disposal Eff - BROAD 83% MARKOV 70%

Kicks - BROAD 8 MARKOV 8

Marks - BROAD 4 MARKOV 3

H'balls - BROAD 3 MARKOV 4

Tackles - BROAD 2 MARKOV 1

I 50 - BROAD 1 MARKOV 2

R 50 - BROAD 3 MARKOV 2

Clangers - BROAD 1 MARKOV 1
On face value our Broady has been treated harshly, he's a fan favourite, I'm a massive fan.
Is Broad not getting a game got anything to do with list management, salary cap, do they think he is leaving?
Are they playing Markov in his role so they can they make a decision on whether he's a keeper for next year.
We will know in the not too distant future.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I just think many are selling his value short, and have been too willing to throw a 2 time premiership defender who has been very important to the system in the bin.

Dave will be finished soon and we have NO other up and coming key defenders, Garth is too small and not good enough, Miller is a bust and Biggy is 5 years away if he even gets anywhere near it.

Not sure we play Broad as anything but a 3rd tall, though he can play on a variety of forwards. Wouldn't classify him as a key back. Agree it is a position we should be looking to address. Probably where the Harrison Petty rumours have come from. Not sure Biggy is that far away, I've spoken to a couple of people who have been pretty impressed in the limited work they've seen. A lot ahead of Chol at the same stage.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

Broad is only 2 years younger than Astbury. Broad is 3 years older than Markov. I think Markov provides a different skill set to Broad. I'd say it's Balta’s progress that has put Broad down the pecking order, not so much Markov. Broad is undoubtedly great depth and I do hope we keep him. At his best he is top 22.

Reactions: 5 users