Welcome to the Tigers Oleg Markov | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Oleg Markov

bringbakflemmo

Tiger Superstar
Apr 15, 2009
Oleg is in a similar boat to Menadue. Both are very good VFL footballers who can’t quite bridge the gap to consistent AFL standard.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Oleg needs to bulk up a bit for afl level footy. But the principle is sound. Add tackles to the leap and the lead and we have yet another dangerous forward pocket. George has form dips like everyone so nice to have him in the wings. Like Naish and Bolta, needs another pre-season.

Oleg has already had 4 pre seasons!!

He brings nothing really unique to the table that sets him apart from others hence he cant get games, nor have the MC made an effort to shanghai him into the side because he doesnt have a unique skill set or attribute that they want to utilise.

I'd happily trade him along with Menadue who has had 5 pre seasons!

Give some of their $$$ to reward the up and comers deserving of better contracts.

Or use the picks for points to nab Mo Jnr .

Last edited:

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I think the comparisons with Menadue are accurate,

Both look athletic enough,

But don’t seem to have the composure when the heat is on

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Oleg has already had 4 pre seasons!!

He brings nothing really unique to the table that sets him apart from others hence he cant get games, nor have the MC made an effort to shanghai him into the side because he doesnt have a unique skill set or attribute that they want to utilise.
Hence they're trying him in a new role. He has similar attributes to Castagna and is a different matchup to Lynch/Jack/Dusty. It may just work, even if only as insurance for now. If not, we turn him over and give someone else a chance.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
Well Markov turned out to be most useful as a quick medium forward.

If he’s that quick I’d like to see him do the odd centre square ball ups to receive a tap and do an express 10 strides and kick to 20 meters out from goal.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I think Markov had more potential than Menadue who has been given far more opportunity. Markov has battled with a lot of injuries so hasn't had the continuity but I feel with missed opportunities many others have jumped ahead of him. Will be very hard for him to crack into the side. Trade would be an option but not sure anyone would be offering anything decent in return.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
IIRC Rance was terrible in his first 4 years too.

Most on here had written him off.

He was a deer in headlights and his kicking was deplorable.

Yeah nah. Rance had already played 44 games in his first 4 seasons including the 1st where he didn't get a look in and missing out of a chunk of his 2nd leading into his 3rd due to a sickening head clash which crushed his confidence. No comparison with Markov.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Tucked away deep on page 18..
Now entering his 5th season, quite simply it's a case of now or never for Lego.
Been overlooked now for 2 successful finals campaigns & after some recent delistings (& a plethora of hungry young kids now injected) he must now be looking around & wondering what the future holds for him at Richmond.
Has some skills for sure but the backline experiment faltered last year with some shaky performances when given the opportunity.
Drafted as a goal kicking forward but after a bright start when shifted there mid year in the VFL, tapered off towards the back end.
Has Markov got another gear to go to or is it a case now of WYSIWYG? My sense is he won't make it sadly.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Can't see him making it unfortunately. Quite inconsistent even at VFL level doesn't bode well.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Needs a massive year this year or he most likely won't get another. Lego's a bit like Mena, Lloydy, Snipper in that he's almost, nearly, not quite for us. Just can't see him finding that little bit extra he needs to become a regular senior player.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Menadue and Markov have been somewhat interchangeable since they were drafted. Menadue pulled ahead yet is now out of the AFL system completely.

Looking at the potential delistings at the end of the year, it's hard not to have Markov at the head of the queue.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Had some good games up forward late in the VFL season last year.
Needs to step it up significantly otherwise it will be his last in the system.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
There's no doubt that troublesome knee injury curtailed his development the past couple of seasons. Hopefully has put it behind him because he'll need plenty to go right to crack into this team.