Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
What was the thinking of bringing him in when chol and Cj were already playing on a wet night?
The first qtr hit didn't help but he go away now and realise how much extra work he needs to put in to get to this level.
His efforts at times was under 16 quality.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It was so hard to watch. Haven’t seen someone that out of their depth in a long time.

Tonight leaves mental scars. And sets him back. Back to the VFL for a long time.
Yeah if there has been a worse debut I cant recall it. He had no idea what to do. Looked like he’d never played the game at any level. Just stood there with his hand in the air. Never lead up at the ball once that I can recall.

But not really his fault. He clearly wasn’t ready. I watched him at VFL level last week and he was just okay; no more than that and I was extremely surprised to him picked. He so slight and looks nowhere near strong enough.

Dimma has really jumped the shark with this one. What was he thinking? All year he’s refused to go tall but then he decides to do it on a wet night with a kid who’s miles off the level.

Bizarre selection to say the least.

Reactions: 7 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don't think he had much of a chance to be honest All night our players were not supporting each other and on debut he had little opportunity to get involved. I think he came on in the first went for a mark and the maggot called high contact, geez, nice intro to AFL - sorry lad not allowed to go for a mark.

They need to really hammer into him that this was not a typical AFL game, normally your team mates turn up.

I reckon a bit early to pick him but should not have been this difficult, he has clear skills and can play a lot better. Needs more size and fitness but worth a try. Just tell him to forget about that game, concentrate on improving, and come back next time refreshed, fitter, bigger and have a red hot go.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
I don't think he had much of a chance to be honest All night our players were not supporting each other and on debut he had little opportunity to get involved. I think he came on in the first went for a mark and the maggot called high contact, geez, nice intro to AFL - sorry lad not allowed to go for a mark.

They need to really hammer into him that this was not a typical AFL game, normally your team mates turn up.

I reckon a bit early to pick him but should not have been this difficult, he has clear skills and can play a lot better. Needs more size and fitness but worth a try. Just tell him to forget about that game, concentrate on improving, and come back next time refreshed, fitter, bigger and have a red hot go.

DS
Was unfair to pick him in hindsight but agree the team didn’t help at all.

Reactions: 1 user

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
The last 5 minutes he was sprinting around searching for a touch. When the siren went you could tell at the ground how shattered he was. Unfortunately he just did not get near it all night, and when he did he looked completely out of his weight division. I don't think I've ever felt more sorry for one of our players.

Reactions: 2 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
What was the thinking of bringing him in when chol and Cj were already playing on a wet night?
The first qtr hit didn't help but he go away now and realise how much extra work he needs to put in to get to this level.
His efforts at times was under 16 quality.
Speed was too quick for the lad couldn't get near it.

Not his fault he'll be a player one day.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The last 5 minutes he was sprinting around searching for a touch. When the siren went you could tell at the ground how shattered he was. Unfortunately he just did not get near it all night, and when he did he looked completely out of his weight division. I don't think I've ever felt more sorry for one of our players.
Was like a headless chook. He covered a bit of ground but didn't know where to run to get involved or to defend. Maybe the initial knock hampered him.

Chol had an inglorious debut and is in his sixth year at the club, so he'll likely get another chance.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Yeah if there has been a worse debut I cant recall it. He had no idea what to do. Looked like he’d never played the game at any level. Just stood there with his hand in the air. Never lead up at the ball once that I can recall.

But not really his fault. He clearly wasn’t ready. I watched him at VFL level last week and he was just okay; no more than that and I was extremely surprised to him picked. He so slight and looks nowhere near strong enough.

Dimma has really jumped the shark with this one. What was he thinking? All year he’s refused to go tall but then he decides to do it on a wet night with a kid who’s miles off the level.

Bizarre selection to say the least.
Called it a long way out. Dimma has to own this one. Was it a delusional pick or desperate? But Dimma and coaches must be totally losing it to think 1) He was ready for this level and 2) Tonight was the game to debut him.

So the result was we played with 17 even before injuries hit. With the weather and conditions, Caddy could have made a difference, especially up forward. Feel really sorry for the kid. Terrible call.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Whilst I'd have preffered Parker play, I didn't mind when he was selected.
What I hated was that a late change wasn't made when it was obviously going to be a slippery night.
Dimma's stubbornness here got the better of him. We went into this game waay too tall, with too many raw talls.

I just hope Samson can get over that debut because it was the worst in all my years I've seen as a Tiger. Feel for the kid. Worst possible playing conditions for a 207cm youngster.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users