Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Chol was from the brisbane academy

We also bid on Hipwood.

We got Martyn and Cucumberland.

We've obviously got a scout there with some pull.
I'm pretty sure there was one more too, can't remember the name, we bid, they matched, since delisted. Mc something maybe?

6! its an extraordinary number.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
We will be the land of giants next year.
206cm Sampson and 208cm Balta's cousin.
We will be hitting the ball out of the ruck into the goal square.
Perhaps someone has already picked up this typo...short by 5cm on Mate Colina - 213 cm very close to 7 foot only 3.6mm under.

Reactions: 1 user

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Will I be the first to say it: “Looks like Samson, plays like Delilah?”
Couldn't disagree more, he is strong in the contest, puts his head in the hole so Jack R. will like the way he plays.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
I got a felling this pick is in line with maybe CCJ playing permanent forward with little ruck duties.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Kids a 20 y.o. n played some senior footy before so we've grabbed a young ruck who should be near enough ready to go if something horrible happens to the Nankster, at least we've not picked up an 18y.o. kid who'll need two or three years in the system before he can even be considered.

One thing that worries me though is that he was a Brisvegas academy kid and they've let him go after putting the early development work in. Then they've turned straight around n picked up a young ruck man a couple of picks after us.

Do they know something we don't or have they perhaps judged him a tad early n completely misread what was standing right in front of them?
Did Bris let him slide out of their academy?
At what 18 years young. Still a greenhorn at that age for most rucks. Perhaps they left him in the field to furnish. Let him prove his commitment and will to work.

In the meantime they had the marvellous stefan martin. Underrated ruck who expired this year and went to the dogs as ruck coach (playing). So the bears now need ruck cover. Plausible that they wouldve picked our man at their next pick

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
I got a felling this pick is in line with maybe CCJ playing permanent forward with little ruck duties.
Maybe picking Young Samson, was not only to do with Soldo injured and CCJ to miss a few games, but also to put a rocket up the ass of both CCJ and Chol.

Reactions: 4 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Kids a 20 y.o. n played some senior footy before so we've grabbed a young ruck who should be near enough ready to go if something horrible happens to the Nankster, at least we've not picked up an 18y.o. kid who'll need two or three years in the system before he can even be considered.

One thing that worries me though is that he was a Brisvegas academy kid and they've let him go after putting the early development work in. Then they've turned straight around n picked up a young ruck man a couple of picks after us.

Do they know something we don't or have they perhaps judged him a tad early n completely misread what was standing right in front of them?

I spoke with a friend who has a few contacts at clubs and a good contact at Richmond who asked about Ryan yesterday and i got this info today.

Our recruiters have had an eye on Ryan now for 3- 4 years and they were just not sure if he could put on size to become an AFL ruckman size

4 years ago he was 197cm an 80kgs with a rake like build which ultimately stopped them from taking him

He was team mates with Noah Cumberland & Will Martyn for 2 years at the academy prior to us drafting the 2 boys

So atleast we know that it was an informed choice about a player we had on our minds a while

Reactions: 9 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
It seems like we may have some trustworthy inside intel from someone up there (old mate of Leppa's perhaps?). Maybe we knew that Brisvegas had changed their mind and were going to grab him back for some insurance too, and that's why we didn't trust him to be there for the rookie selections.
So the Lions had to take their second best choice with their next pick? After all, Henry Smith - who does look a good prospect - is only an 18 yr old and not a local Qld boy, from Adelaide. So there's logic to this possibility. Really doubt Smith will be ready to step up to AFL until having a couple of years in the system. Sampson should be readier you would think, if he was ever needed in '21.
As well as having a terrible tank 8 min 2 klms and 3.4 seconds 20mtr time. I certainly think Ryan is a better ruck option but Smith is a very good over head mark

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I'm pretty sure there was one more too, can't remember the name, we bid, they matched, since delisted. Mc something maybe?

6! its an extraordinary number.
Looked it up, Liam Dawson (not McDawson) we bid second round '14 draft, they matched, delisted end 18.