Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Not sure why Butler was promoted, assume to give him a chance to see if he plays better at AFL level.
Would have liked Aarts to get the chance instead, reckon he would be another Lambert in the forward line.

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Not sure why Butler was promoted, assume to give him a chance to see if he plays better at AFL level.
Would have liked Aarts to get the chance instead, reckon he would be another Lambert in the forward line.

I suppose he deserved a chance to show if he still had what he showed in 2017 but the harsh reality was that he looked a shadow of that player.
Difficult to see him getting another chance to prove it this year at least.
Bit sad really.

Actually based on yesterday’s VFL game Aarts would have been a far better choice - he looked really good.

Last edited:

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Hope Butler can help the VFL side to a premiership.
Don't reckon he is the best 22 anymore.
His time seems past ... but he is a premiership hero and that can never be taken away from here.
Would prefer Markov to Butler if it got down to that.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
The Butler is only 23. He is coming back off a 2018 Syndemosis ankle injury so in the meantime a few have passed him in the pecking order. I have no doubt The Butler will regain those skills that made him a Tiger 2017 Premiership player. Lest We Forget those Tiger heroes.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
It’s weird how he plays now. He almost refuses to go for the ball in a contested situation waiting for the oppo to get then try and lay a tackle. But even in that he is now pretty weak. Back to VFL and trade out atvend of year.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
The Butler is only 23. He is coming back off a 2018 Syndemosis ankle injury so in the meantime a few have passed him in the pecking order. I have no doubt The Butler will regain those skills that made him a Tiger 2017 Premiership player. Lest We Forget those Tiger heroes.
That's correct. Some get over that injury quicker than others and he does not have the same dynamic agility he had in 2017. Last year his syndesmosis sprain was in Round 16 and initially handled very conservatively just giving it time to heal then strengthening but after 5 weeks it was not progressing well enough, still running with a limp. On August 10th he had surgery to strengthen the ligament but still missed finals selection. When Lambert did his partial syndesmosis sprain v Gold Coast the next day (Round 21), they decided on surgery straight away hoping to get him back for finals. Lambert did play in the Prelim. but was well below form and fitness. Dan recently turned 23 so we should not be writing him off. He needs a bit more time to get back the strength, agility and confidence he had in 2017.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Butler was very good in 2017.

But our list significantly better now and he has been surpassed by a better quality of small forward.

Can't see him being retained beyond this year.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
There was some debate some time ago,

But George clearly the better player now

there was a never a debate for me. I always thought Butler was superior. I'm dead wrong. But I think he'll be better at a new club.

there is gonna be a changing of the guard this year with premiership players leaving. Grigg. Butler. Townsend to name 3. Probably Ellis as well.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It’s weird how he plays now. He almost refuses to go for the ball in a contested situation waiting for the oppo to get then try and lay a tackle. But even in that he is now pretty weak. Back to VFL and trade out atvend of year.

I think that's the reprogramming they've tried to do in the VFL. I've noticed last few games he's increased his tackle count immensely which indicates possibly they've asked him to improve in that area. Can be a fine line in decision making and maybe he's too focused on the tackle rather than getting the ball. Whatever the reason he was very poor against Dees.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Butler is in a similar position as Shannon Byrnes found himself in at Geelong.

Byrnes played in the 2007 GF and 2009 Gf was traded out to Melbourne a few seasons later.

He got injured and couldn't get his place back at the Cats.

Butler is the perfect trade bait ..... a "Premiership Player" that we have already upgraded upon with more than one other option.

Should be moved on for his own benefit and the clubs going forward.

Dan Butler will get at least another 3 years at the elite level if he is traded out this year.

He is highly unlikely to achieve that at the RFC, I think he will be on the table and will be moved out possibly along with Ellis.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I feel for Dan, he is probably not in the top 25 players now.
I thank Dan for the joy his goal in the last quarter of the Grand Final gave me. I kinda knew we had it in the bag before he kicked it, but i really knew after he snagged the banana.

Reactions: 2 users

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Butler is in a similar position as Shannon Byrnes found himself in at Geelong.

Byrnes played in the 2007 GF and 2009 Gf was traded out to Melbourne a few seasons later.

He got injured and couldn't get his place back at the Cats.

Butler is the perfect trade bait ..... a "Premiership Player" that we have already upgraded upon with more than one other option.

Should be moved on for his own benefit and the clubs going forward.

Dan Butler will get at least another 3 years at the elite level if he is traded out this year.

He is highly unlikely to achieve that at the RFC, I think he will be on the table and will be moved out possibly along with Ellis.

We use to fall hook, line and sinker to the "Premiership Player"

Clay Sampson, Justin Blumfield, Ben Marsh, Darryl Sutton are some that some to mind. I'm sure there are many more.

Reactions: 1 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
We use to fall hook, line and sinker to the "Premiership Player"

Clay Sampson, Justin Blumfield, Ben Marsh, Darryl Sutton are some that some to mind. I'm sure there are many more.
Apart from Blumfield, are the other names mentioned premiership players?
If so, I'll be damned.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Apart from Blumfield, are the other names mentioned premiership players?
If so, I'll be damned.
Clay Sampson played in the 1997 Crows flag and Ben Marsh played in the Crows 1998 one.

Darryl Sutton played in Norths 1977 flag,

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I love Bulter.
He will always be in my top 54.
Set up our first goal and then snapped from the boundary, to seal the premiership.