Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Last night I watched the Freo game on the Fox Tigerthon, Connor was sensational, don't know why he could never cement a spot with us, will be elsewhere next year for no meaningful draft return.
PS. I am one of the very few that still like Connor.

Watched the same game, Menadue was great.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Funny part was today SOS said no interest in BUtler when his subordinate stated that he was of interest to them.

Blues still cant work as one.

Reactions: 1 users

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
Dees are now doing some Butt sniffing, good that there is more than one club interested.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
He's not for us but a club with a lack of small forwards is cray cray to not throw a pick 35-45 at us for him.

Melbourne, North, Gold Coast, Carlton, Essendon, Footscray, Swans, Hawks should all be nibbling.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
He's not for us but a club with a lack of small forwards is cray cray to not throw a pick 35-45 at us for him.

Melbourne, North, Gold Coast, Carlton, Essendon, Footscray, Swans, Hawks should all be nibbling.

yep, he had a great VFL final series and is quite likely a 40 goal forward for the right side.

I hope we keep him. he's great cover for George and Danny.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I wouldnt be throwing him out for nothing. But then again our bargaining power is limited if we havent offered him a contract.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
The blues are a shambles.

I remember SOS being grilled on Footy Classified and boy was he an angry man.

He came across as someone who is the spolit, eldest child . If he doesnt get his way he throws haymakers until he does.

What an ugly predicament for Carlton to be in going into trade week.... grab the popcorn darling.

Last edited:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The blues are a shambles.

I remember SOS being grilled on Footy Classified and boy was he an angry man.

He came across as someone who is as the spolit, eldest child . If he doesnt get his way he throws haymakers until he does.

What an ugly predicament for Carlton to be in going into trade week.... grab the popcorn darling.

God I hope they screw this trade period up.

Oh let the below happen, Papley to North, Martin to the Bombers, Betts to Carlton.

Would be super funny to see SOS's face when he only gets Betts (who apparently he didn't want, Teague did).

Rod

Tiger Superstar
Aug 3, 2003
Bruswick West

I agree. I've got no idea why the Blues are interested in Betts. He is past his best and doesn't apply manic defensive pressure... he finishes well but he's very much one way. Being a small forward is no longer just about kicking goals,... Richmond have redefined the role.

Butler will be a handy pickup for someone because he has very good speed and will work hard both ways.

Where Butler struggles, and I think this is the reason why he has been replaced by Bolton,..... is in the air.

Hardwick appears to want his small forwards to be able to have a decent leap and compete in the air, and at worse neutralise a contest, and bring the ball to ground, and also to have the agility and speed to either win the ball on the ground or defend and create a turnover or stoppage. Finishing skills isn't top of the list... which is why Castagna holds his spot. It's debatable but perhaps ironically Butler is probably a better finisher than Castagna, Bolton or Rioli.

Rioli, Castagna and Bolton are rare because they possess all these traits... if Lynch or Jack aren't nearby, they will fly and compete in the packs and compete on the ground as well.

I like Butler, and I think he will be a value pickup for somebody, but I can see why he's currently 4th cab off the rank with our small forwards........

I liked Stengle too.... awesome finisher but understand why he was also moved on... as he is more like Betts than Castagna/Rioli/Bolton

In addition to the teams you mentioned GWS could also do with a player like Butler.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
I’m getting vibes based on nothing but my experience of reading afl trade crapola that Menadue and butler will def be at other clubs next year.
I think it’s a bizarre crazy idea that a current Richmond player won’t have an afl home next year.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004

Come to me my jungle friends!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
WTF are Carlton thinking getting Eddie Betts back?

Is all Teague's idea he's the one that's pushed for it to happen, SOS is dead against it by all reports but Teague is pushed them to bring Eddie home.

If Eddie drops away and struggles this might be the hill Teague dies on.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Is all Teague's idea he's the one that's pushed for it to happen, SOS is dead against it by all reports but Teague is pushed them to bring Eddie home.

Clubs get an over the hill veteran for other traits they have, like Hodge brought leadership skills and coming from a successful culture at Hawthorn to Brisbane. Eddie is a great player and fun to watch when it’s all going his way, but he doesn’t bring those other things to the party.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

They might be regretting the Teague promotion if it back fires and Carltoon misses finals again.

• Haha

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
yep, he had a great VFL final series and is quite likely a 40 goal forward for the right side.

I hope we keep him. he's great cover for George and Danny.

Has averaged 1.2 goals a game at the Tigers. Maybe a 30 goal player, can't see him being a 40 goal player a year. 40 would have made you 11th most goals this year and 3rd best of the smalls.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Has averaged 1.2 goals a game at the Tigers. Maybe a 30 goal player, can't see him being a 40 goal player a year. 40 would have made you 11th most goals this year and 3rd best of the smalls.

maybe. Hasn't Lloydy gone way above average with a key role though?