Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Bulter Rioli & George
Are the reason we won the flag.
Bulter will always be s "homecoming' hero for me.

Thought Butler was our worst through the finals series of those 3 smalls. Had 25 disposals across 3 games and 11 turnovers. Defensively was pretty good and they worked well when considering the whole forward line working together but individually I'd have Rioli and Castagna homecomings before Butler. Butler made the most of his opportunities at the time but the fact is since that final, he has Higgins, Stack, Baker, probably soon Pickett all competing for his spot and one less small in that forward line with the arrival of Lynch. And I'd argue every one of those is or will be a better player than Butller. Forever grateful for the 22 that delivered us that long-awaited premiership and you can never take that away but we need to look to the future and it's hard to see Butler as a regular in our future imo.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Butler wont be getting regular games at the RFC again.

He's best to move on and extend his career elsewhere.

His career will end a lot quicker at the RFC.

Use his currency and trade him.

No need to keep him.

George, Riloli, Edwards, Higlet, Baker, Bolton, Stack, Pickett and Rioli Jnr to come he is surplus to requirements.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Would much rather have kept Stengle but he wanted out. My only issue with Dan is he rarely uses his pace to advantage. Still young though and he could be a contributor at this level if he works harder.

A slow Butler is still faster than a fast Stengle. That was the only knock on Stengle, too slow to be one of our killer forward smalls.

Agree that Butler is still of some value to us, either as depth or a trade.

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I think history will remember guys like Buts and Towner as being 'in the right place at the right time'. From their perspective, 2017 gave them the glory, the amazing experience and a highlights reel to die for. From my perspective, I'll choose to remember those heroic moments they provided, that helped us to a flag.
No Shame in being that player. Virtually every premiership team has a couple. Mitch Morton anyone?

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Happy to trade if we get a pick under 40 for him. But if we don’t I want him kept. We need to use Sam Lloyd as our benchmark of what our depth can do.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
It seemed like Butler at his best was always running into open space,

Maybe the way teams are setting up now has something to do with it , and that space is not as available,

and the other smalls work much better in congestion .

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
80 falg side.
No Shame in being that player. Virtually every premiership team has a couple. Mitch Morton anyone?
There's a piece in the paper today, comparing 4 'greats' who didn't win a flag against Daryl Freame who played 17 games in 5 years, and was in the 1980 flag side, right place, right time.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
80 falg side.
There's a piece in the paper today, comparing 4 'greats' who didn't win a flag against Daryl Freame who played 17 games in 5 years, and was in the 1980 flag side, right place, right time.
Who was mentioning Daryl Freame in a PRE thread yesterday?

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
80 falg side.
2games in 1980 being the Semi and the GF ! Played 2 more next year and it was the end of the line.

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Hope they weren’t watching on the weekend as he hardly did anything to justify a draft pick full stop.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
If offers from elsewhere aren't good enough, keep as depth with performance based contract.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I was watching Butler on Sunday in the vfl, he looked like a guy who plays with that air of “I’m too cool for this” as he goes in one handed, tries to do everything easily, not put his body in, not do the hard things. Then gives that smug smile if something goes wrong.

Now I get he’s an outside player, he’s not a hard nut but one still has to “try” as you can’t play AFL with what appears to be this laisse a faire attitude.