Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tiggers - Daniel Butler

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I was watching Butler on Sunday in the vfl, he looked like a guy who plays with that air of “I’m too cool for this” as he goes in one handed, tries to do everything easily, not put his body in, not do the hard things. Then gives that smug smile if something goes wrong.

Now I get he’s an outside player, he’s not a hard nut but one still has to “try” as you can’t play AFL with what appears to be this laisse a faire attitude.
Agree with this.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I was watching Butler on Sunday in the vfl, he looked like a guy who plays with that air of “I’m too cool for this” as he goes in one handed, tries to do everything easily, not put his body in, not do the hard things. Then gives that smug smile if something goes wrong.

Now I get he’s an outside player, he’s not a hard nut but one still has to “try” as you can’t play AFL with what appears to be this laisse a faire attitude.

I thought something similar watching him on Sunday. It's almost like he's trying to play some combination of soccer and basketball as opposed to football.

It's a shame; he was really good to watch in 2017 but he has fallen far.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Spot on. The Richmond way is based on aggression and work rate running. You can have the polish and do the fancy things but you have to chase and harass like Daniel Rioli does, even when you know it won't get you a kick. Butler work rate only increases when he thinks he can get on the end of something.

Having said that if I'm a team that has no classy small forwards (i.e Carlton, North Melbourne, Melbourne) I'd swap a third maybe even a late second to get him in. He has value in the right side.

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
The reality is that Daniel Butler was never really that good a player, even in 2017.
The way we played in 2017 and 2018 made him look better than he was.
He was a prime beneficiary of our turnovers in forward 50, as well as helping create some with his pace and pressure.
But our game style helped mask his not insignificant deficiencies.
He is not a good overhead mark and he is not good at winning his own ball.
Indeed, he has a bad habit of allowing his opponent to beat him to the ball (so he can then lay a tackle and apply forward pressure).
This lack of confidence in his limited ability means that he never felt comfortable in the AFL cauldron.
And when a better player came along (Shai), he was obviously going to be under pressure.
That's Dan's reality in 2019.
Dimma generously gave him one last chance to prove his bona fides v Melbourne.
But Dan comprehensively stamped his own papers with his performance.
Dan has had a great ride with the RFC and hopefully he can bow out with not only an AFL premiership medallion, but a VFL one this year.

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I loved Butler's work in 2017 and he deserved his spot in the GF team and our history.
But time has marched on and it's probably time for Butler to do so as well..

Actually I thought there was a giveaway in Dimma's comment before the weekend when he was saying that Butler still had an important role at the Club.
But then he said something like " .... but I'm not sure where he's at in terms of his contract ....".
C'mon! The coach would know precisely whether or not Butler was contracted for next year.
I reckon that was a polite way of stamping his papers.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Actually I thought there was a giveaway in Dimma's comment before the weekend when he was saying that Butler still had an important role at the Club.
But then he said something like " .... but I'm not sure where he's at in terms of his contract ....".
C'mon! The coach would know precisely whether or not Butler was contracted for next year.

Dimma wouldn't know the contract status of all 40 players on the senior list, nor would he care. The footy department and list manager would handle that. There would be discussions around re-signing or releasing players as they move into the end periods of their contracts and the coaching staff would have massive input into that of course.

The senior coach has a lot more to worry about than whether a fringe player has a contract extending into the next year or not.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
The reality is that Daniel Butler was never really that good a player, even in 2017.
The way we played in 2017 and 2018 made him look better than he was.
He was a prime beneficiary of our turnovers in forward 50, as well as helping create some with his pace and pressure.
But our game style helped mask his not insignificant deficiencies.
He is not a good overhead mark and he is not good at winning his own ball.
Indeed, he has a bad habit of allowing his opponent to beat him to the ball (so he can then lay a tackle and apply forward pressure).
This lack of confidence in his limited ability means that he never felt comfortable in the AFL cauldron.
And when a better player came along (Shai), he was obviously going to be under pressure.
That's Dan's reality in 2019.
But Dan comprehensively stamped his own papers with his performance.
Dan has had a great ride with the RFC and hopefully he can bow out with not only an AFL premiership medallion, but a VFL one this year.

Tend to agree with most of this. Some very quick players tend to get a good go at AFL level because their speed makes up a little for their deficiencies. Once opponents work them out they have little to fall back on and their deficiencies become more apparent. I believe that's the case with Butler. There was less competition for spots in 2017 in his role. There are now a number who have taken the next step and unfortunately that leaves Butler without a position. I think Bulter is not a bad depth player but I also think maybe he values himself a bit higher then where he's at currently and therefore will likely look for a move to another club.

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
I was watching Butler on Sunday in the vfl, he looked like a guy who plays with that air of “I’m too cool for this” as he goes in one handed, tries to do everything easily, not put his body in, not do the hard things.
Similar thing could have been written about Vickery, who never seemed to tear it up in the magoos. (God knows how we conned Hawks into taking him.)

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
I personally would have preferred Aarts to have been given his first chance.

Just got a feeling Aarts could turn out to be a really good depth player, where you know for certain you'll always get maximum effort, discipline and the ability to play a role, at both VFL and AFL levels.

For the same reason, Garthwaite's a good depth player.

Importantly, you need a few depth players who can remain in the 'affordable' bracket for a few years. This makes them different to 'rising stars' or 'fading stars'.

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Similar thing could have been written about Vickery, who never seemed to tear it up in the magoos. (God knows how we conned Hawks into taking him.)
The funniest part about that was listening to arrogant Hawthorn tossers making fools of themselves by trying to tell us that Clarko would turn him into a star:p

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I loved Butler's work in 2017 and he deserved his spot in the GF team and our history.
But time has marched on and it's probably time for Butler to do so as well..

"Dan's an important and valued player. There's no way we could part with him for anything over pick 50."

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Interesting that George has gone on to improve his game and Dan has tread water/gone backwards. I will be a little sad to see him go.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Butler off to the Blues

I wonder what we'd get for him.

They have Adelaides 1st, no 2nd and then they have their 3rd and Adelaides 3rd. Their 3rd is likely to be Pick 40, and Adelaides could be anywhere from 45 to 48 you would think. I'd prefer the higher pick, but I think we'd probably take it if it was Adelaides pick.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Not really adding more to this conversation than adding weight, but I think Butler has lost his passion. At the end of 2016, the rumour was he was moving back to Ballarat as he'd been told he was being delisted, then had a last minute reprieve and was kept on the list for 12 months. Then he turned it around and became a rock solid 22 player.

Come 2018, after such a surprising turnaround in 2017, he started to regress. This year he has gone backwards even further, to that player we had in 2016. Maybe he needs a rocket, and a trade to someone else will revive his career. In our club though, I think we have enough of his type to set him on his way and start the migration process to another draftee.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Not really adding more to this conversation than adding weight, but I think Butler has lost his passion. At the end of 2016, the rumour was he was moving back to Ballarat as he'd been told he was being delisted, then had a last minute reprieve and was kept on the list for 12 months.

Maybe we'll get Ballarat Swan's 3rd rounder in a trade?

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I reckon he'd kill it at the Dees. They are desperate for leg speed.

Could do well at the Blues. He'd be a typical Blues player from their successful era. Coiffed hair, bludge a bit, and then clinical when they need to be.

Mind you he is still on our list and I will back him in till he is not.

Reactions: 2 users

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
Not really adding more to this conversation than adding weight, but I think Butler has lost his passion. At the end of 2016, the rumour was he was moving back to Ballarat as he'd been told he was being delisted, then had a last minute reprieve and was kept on the list for 12 months. Then he turned it around and became a rock solid 22 player.

Come 2018, after such a surprising turnaround in 2017, he started to regress. This year he has gone backwards even further, to that player we had in 2016. Maybe he needs a rocket, and a trade to someone else will revive his career. In our club though, I think we have enough of his type to set him on his way and start the migration process to another draftee.
I think the injury took a lot out of him and he has struggled to regain his confidence.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I think the injury took a lot out of him and he has struggled to regain his confidence.

That's what it looks like. When he tries to run with the ball he looks as though he's expecting to get caught. Needs to learn some new tricks for when he's unable to get goal side.

Will never forget the blazing goal against Port which kept us in the game in 2017. Epitomised his year.

Last edited: