Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Tiger land Riley Collier’Dawkins

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Doesn't look upto it a this stage and often runs straight into a tackle. See how he goes with another couple of preseasons under his belt

Agree on the running into tackles point, obviously as a big bodied kid in the TAC he could just run straight through them, finding it a bit harder against men. Going by the latest VFL report on RFC site his Bash and Crash style may not change too much as they think that is when he plays his best footy. Am sure in time with his pace and developing a better tank he should be able to add some spread.
Think with Riley it has been a bit of struggle adjusting to the increased workloads of the AFL, (not unusual for a 1st year player);

Riley Collier-Dawkins

17 disposals, eight tackles, three clearances & five inside-50s

“Was one of his better games in a couple of weeks. He got his hands on the ball, had eight tackles which is unbelievable around the contest. He’s a big body, we like it when he’s smashing in and that’s when he’s at his best. I liked his game on the weekend.”

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Richmond has arguably been the best club in recent years for developing kids. Dimma was a blue collar player himself, so he can get inside the head of the Everyman.

However, there’s one type of player that Dimma has consistently been less successful (but solid) at developing.

Top draft picks:

- Inherited a 2nd year Vickery
- Dusty (success, but prodigious talent)
- Conca
- Vlastuin (success as a Hardwick clone, not as an inside midfielder)
- Lennon
- Ellis
- Ellis
- Rioli (success - lived with him)
- Higgins

I’m just throwing this out there, but is Dimma less successful at getting inside the head of these more naturally talented players? He produces a narrative that clearly resonates with the workers of the team, but RCD does not fall into this category.

As an elite junior, it must be hard for RCD to watch everyone and their dog perform well at AFL level in front of him, when only 1-2 years ago he was more highly rated. It’s natural for any elite athlete to feel disappointed in himself, and that’s where the framing of his journey needs to be on point.

The psychological battle is just as important as the on-field battle, I’m looking forward to seeing this kid grow within the modern Richmond culture.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Richmond has arguably been the best club in recent years for developing kids. Dimma was a blue collar player himself, so he can get inside the head of the Everyman.

However, there’s one type of player that Dimma has consistently been less successful (but solid) at developing.

Top draft picks:

- Conca
- Lennon
- Ellis
- Ellis
- Higgins

I’m just throwing this out there, but is Dimma less successful at getting inside the head of these more naturally talented players? He produces a narrative that clearly resonates with the workers of the team, but RCD does not fall into this category.

As an elite junior, it must be hard for RCD to watch everyone and their dog perform well at AFL level in front of him, when only 1-2 years ago he was more highly rated. It’s natural for any elite athlete to feel disappointed in himself, and that’s where the framing of his journey needs to be on point.

The psychological battle is just as important as the on-field battle, I’m looking forward to seeing this kid grow within the modern Richmond culture.

I just think we haven't recruited as well with our top picks. As I understand Hardwick doesn't choose the, actual player, he has input into the type of player he is after and the recruitment team do the rest. Most of those guys struggling who have moved on have done no better elsewhere, they're just not quite AFL quality. Plenty high draft picks fail.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
He just needs to build his tank and develop his upper body strength. This will come with time. He's got a strong core and powerful legs. Patience.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
We are playing RCD in the center in the VFL side with the long term development in mind. Center is where the best player usually goes so he would be running into some experienced bigger size guys at the moment.

Build his own size and hone his game at VFL level over the next couple of seasons, then he comes in fully able to take on the center role at the top level. Just when someone like say Cotchin is moved out to an outside role.

No need to worry about RCD at the moment (or for all of 2020 as well) especially if he keeps getting selected in the guts in the seconds.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
LOL so he's not a gun in his first year and will be a flop?

What were your thoughts on Bolton in his first year?

Its a well worn road of which there is no time frame. Get drafted, Learn, Develop, Click, Seniors.

Our development systems are the best in the land and I'm 100% confident he will have a breakout game at some point this year or next, maybe even the year after!

Young players are like Pantene shampoo. Won't happen overnight but it will happen.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
LOL so he's not a gun in his first year and will be a flop?

What were your thoughts on Bolton in his first year?

Its a well worn road of which there is no time frame. Get drafted, Learn, Develop, Click, Seniors.

Our development systems are the best in the land and I'm 100% confident he will have a breakout game at some point this year or next, maybe even the year after!

Young players are like Pantene shampoo. Won't happen overnight but it will happen.

Haven't heard anyone calling Riley a flop just discussing where he is at in his 1st year. Recruited as a project player in the Bio's of most phantom drafts so happy for patience to be applied.
In Matt Clarke's Road To The Draft Podcast he talks about Riley getting use to the rigours and increased workload of AFL compared to his previous somewhat poor training base as a junior , and relatively late start to footy? so even more intriguing to watch for positive steps forward as I thought his game on the weekend was..

By the way I thought Shai was a gun at the 1st training session he did at the club ;) but even he took time.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Another preseason and he'll be a lot stronger and improve his running capacity. Still maybe just cameos next year, but then again Ross and Stack were able to improve these traits quickly in our system, and his traits provide a point of difference to the rest of the squad.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We have enough Rising Star nominees this year. Makes sense to leave him out of the seniors until next year

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
We have enough Rising Star nominees this year. Makes sense to leave him out of the seniors until next year
I was hoping Jack R would be our fourth. He may get 3-4 games later this year. Either way, I guess he's eligible for next year...

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
cross between Fyfe and Cripps.

Awesome.

He better not be a cross between
Pettifer & lennon.
Or a cross between Griffens & Vickery
Or a cross between Ellis and Ellis
Or a cross between Oakley Nichols & Fiora

• Haha

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Top draft picks:

- Conca
- Lennon
- Ellis
- Ellis
- Higgins

Geez. I reckon you're calling way to early putting Higlet in here as a failed / failing development. Also have issues with putting Bobble Ellis in as well. Yes he's a player many ( me included at times, he can b frustrating to watch ) like to point to as the reason for many of our failures. But Bobble has played near 170 games, including finals and a flag, should easily cruise to 200 perhaps 250 games or more at careers end. That's nowhere near failure to develop by anyone's stretch of imagination.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Not if you're CCJ.

LOL

It is more important to the club right now that CCJ takes steps in development.

We will need him more urgently than Riley.

Riley can marinate for the rest of the season and get another pre season or two into him.

Not jumping the gun on him yet.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Thought RCD looked good from what I saw in the VFL today. The play where he stood up in the tackle and his handball to set up Menadue to put us ahead in the last few mins was peach. The handball was a thing of beauty.

Developing ok

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Thought RCD looked good from what I saw in the VFL today. The play where he stood up in the tackle and his handball to set up Menadue to put us ahead in the last few mins was peach. The handball was a thing of beauty.

Developing ok

Time. Hopefully he can get stronger and fitter and become a quality player for us. No need to rush him.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Excellent game in the VFL GF
We have a star in the making a tall mobile midfielder

Reactions: 3 users